Sometimes being an idealist is what is needed. Future | Syracusefan.com

Sometimes being an idealist is what is needed. Future

Alsacs

Living Legend
It sucks to be a realist when you look at situations.

If there was reason to feel the direction of the program could trend back up I would be defending the wall.
I get negativity sucks. Rick Pitino said it well in press conference while coaching the Celtics 20 years ago.

The people pounding have legitimate points. There is a little reason in my opinion to think things will be much different next season.

So my question is do fans frustrated have to just shut up and ride the next 2 years or what can cause the clamoring for change within how things are done to occur?

If there was reason to feel the direction of the program could trend back up I would be defending the wall.
I get negativity sucks. Rick Pitino said it well in press conference while coaching the Celtics 20 years ago.

The people pounding have legitimate points. There is a little reason in my opinion to think things will be much different next season.

So my question is do fans frustrated have to just shut up and ride the next 2 years or what can cause the clamoring for change within how things are done to occur?
Fan support will ultimately dictate the future. It would be great to see JB close out with a moment of success, even limited, but I’m beginning to have serious doubts. It’s going to require some off-season retooling (a quality transfer big for starters) to turn things around.

I don’t think much will change next year except the players on the front line. I also think you’re speaking to a brick wall about the coach leaving.
I don’t want the HC to leave just change some things up.

I don’t want the HC to leave just change some things up.
People think that by changing the HC will bring instant success. It's TBD but not guaranteed even if John Wooden is hired. I think we sit and b and moan and see what happens in two years.

People think that by changing the HC will bring instant success. It's TBD but not guaranteed even if John Wooden is hired. I think we sit and b and moan and see what happens in two years.
At this point, it's not even about "instant success". I think most rational fans realize their is going to be a transition when JAB leaves. The issue now is he's making that transition worse with each passing day. The damage he is doing to the program is getting to a critical level. He had the opportunity to move on and leave the program on solid footing. Now? It's become a dumpster fire that I'm not sure who/when it gets put out.

It doesn't have to take as long as football though. If the next hire brings the right energy to sell what we have in place, one or two recruits can carry things while a system is put in place.

This type of recruiting is something that I believe is impossible for our football program in the current landscape, but completely possible (and quite frankly, should be expected) for our hoops program.

So my question is do fans frustrated have to just shut up and ride the next 2 years or what can cause the clamoring for change within how things are done to occur? The
Maybe some league reporter in the post game presser of the ACC tournament baits JB into saying regrettable things that ultimately unleash the cancel culture on social media, giving JW and KS an easier out to force the transition. The same might happen on the call in show but less likely with all the firewalls in place.

it’s either this or JW staring into an empty dome in 2022 and realizing they waited too long to grow a pair.

Last edited:
I don’t think our hoops issues will be fixed entirely by recruiting. Sending the center to guard the corner 3 and the inability to score in the post is not going to change in the current system. We will be an iso offensive team that plays zone with zero ability to rebound as long as JB is here. That stuff stays the same regardless of the players. Teams have more shooters and better ability to attack the zone than they ever have.

I’m banking on some league reporter asking him a tough question in the post game presser of the ACC tournament that gets him in scalding hot water and ultimately gives JW an easier out to force the transition.
I don’t want JB embarrassed.
Hs isn’t a bad person. He is stubborn and comfortable with a status quo that requires change or for him to move on.

I’m banking on some league reporter asking him a tough question in the post game presser of the ACC tournament that gets him in scalding hot water and ultimately gives JW an easier out to force the transition.
It's only a matter of time. He's already doing a bang-up job of alienating one of the most influential analysts in any sport. Jay Bilas name carries a lot of weight and Jim needs to shut his mouth, but we know he won't.

Hs isn’t a bad person. He is stubborn and comfortable with a status quo that requires change or for him to move on.
I'm beginning to think otherwise. I'm not sure Jim is a good guy anymore. Commenting on a kid from another program is gross and he's tripled down on it. He has always criticized his own players in pressers, but this year he's gone out of his way to throw some of these kids under the bus. Well, except for a couple guys...

We all knew this was going to be a rough end (history shows it again and again). The AD is not going to do anything while a son is on the roster. The question is how does the transition take place - dictated by JB or does the ADJW take the program back.

I'm beginning to think otherwise. I'm not sure Jim is a good guy anymore. Commenting on a kid from another program is gross and he's tripled down on it. He has always criticized his own players in pressers, but this year he's gone out of his way to throw some of these kids under the bus. Well, except for a couple guys...
He is a good guy. He doesn’t have a filter.
I just want him to adapt or retire.

The people on here spinning for him have to understand the frustration and stop calling people haters.

Don’t give them ammo. They will spin stuff like that. JB is a good man.

I don’t think our hoops issues will be fixed entirely by recruiting. Sending the center to guard the corner 3 and the inability to score in the post is not going to change in the current system. We will be an iso offensive team that plays zone with zero ability to rebound as long as JB is here. That stuff stays the same regardless of the players. Teams have more shooters and better ability to attack the zone than they ever have.

I'm not a 100% zone person, but I still think the zone could be a winner for us. I just have no idea what sort of roster we're putting together to win with the zone.

Slow, small, and no rim protection may not work well at all in man, but it sure AF ain't got a chance at working with this zone. Unless your goal is to hide people.

JB making a few changes won’t bring us better talent at this point. The ceiling is lower with each passing day.

and no he’s not a bad person. Very few people earn that label. But he’s very insecure despite his power. That leads to bad decisions. And now he’s putting his son ahead of the program’s welfare. That’s unacceptable in any job without attempting to make changes.

He is a good guy. He doesn’t have a filter.
I just want him to adapt or retire.

The people on here spinning for him have to understand the frustration and stop calling people haters.

Don’t give them ammo. They will spin stuff like that. JB is a good man.
Adapt?!?! He's 76 years old! He's been doing the same things for decades. He's not changing and he's not retiring. He's too selfish to retire. It's all about Jim and what he wants. He loves being Jim and everyone in CNY bows down to him.

I’m praying some league reporter in the post game presser of the ACC tournament baits JB into saying regrettable things that ultimately unleash the cancel culture on social media, giving JW and KS an easier out to force the transition. The same might happen on the call in show but less likely with all the firewalls in place.

it’s either this or JW staring into an empty dome in 2022 and realizing they waited too long to grow a pair.
Well, that's special.

It doesn't have to take as long as football though. If the next hire brings the right energy to sell what we have in place, one or two recruits can carry things while a system is put in place.

This type of recruiting is something that I believe is impossible for our football program in the current landscape, but completely possible (and quite frankly, should be expected) for our hoops program.

I agree, the program shouldn’t be compared to football. Completely different situations. And I think a lot of potential candidates know that this could be a pretty quick turnaround back to being at least consistently in the top 25.

It’s also much different to be replacing the version of JB we’ve had the last 5-6 years relative to earlier in his career. I don’t think it will be very difficult to find a coach that brings better results than what we’ve seen the last 5+ years.

It's only a matter of time. He's already doing a bang-up job of alienating one of the most influential analysts in any sport. Jay Bilas name carries a lot of weight and Jim needs to shut his mouth, but we know he won't.

JAB built Syracuse basketball and we will all be eternally grateful. I'm not even going to try and speculate on what the AD may or may not be thinking. However, the media interactions might become an increasing challenge if the media start to smell blood in the water and begin to asking increasingly more direct and difficult questions. Who's going to have the courage behind the scenes to the tell the 76 year old to watch his speech when he turns on the microphone? The Jalen Johnson issue was never an issue that our coach needed to address in any form. Our program has enough issues, no need to take on the issues of another team. Yet, here we are...

JAB built Syracuse basketball and we will all be eternally grateful. I'm not even going to try and speculate on what the AD may or may not be thinking. However, the media interactions might become an increasing challenge if the media start to smell blood in the water and begin to asking increasingly more direct and difficult questions. Who's going to have the courage behind the scenes to the tell the 76 year old to watch his speech when he turns on the microphone? The Jalen Johnson issue was never an issue that our coach needed to address in any form. Our program has enough issues, no need to take on the issues of another team. Yet, here we are...
Spot on. Nobody will or should ever question what JAB has done for this program or Syracuse in general. He holds a special place in college basketball history, but he's absolutely doing his legacy a huge disservice. I think he just likes to hear himself talk and stir up controversy. Even if you're asked about a player at another program, you just keep your mouth shut. How hard is it to just say "Jalen Johnson doesn't play for SU, I don't have anything to say on the matter."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom