Songs Mistakenly Attributed to the Wrong Artist | Syracusefan.com

Songs Mistakenly Attributed to the Wrong Artist

ScrabbCuse

Starter
Have there ever been any songs you’ve listened to and were sure one artist sang it but were surprised to find out it was actually a different artist?

For the longest time, I thought the song “Oh Sheila” was sung by Prince. Was disappointed to find out it was actually Ready for the World.

Stealers Wheel's 'Stuck in the middle with you' is constantly referred to as a Bob Dylan song.

Not as bad as Bobby McFerrin’s “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” being mistaken for a Bob Marley song. Marley had already been dead for 7 years when the song was recorded. People still think it was him.

On The Dark Side, as a kid I thought it was Springsteen.

I still might think so.

Have there ever been any songs you’ve listened to and were sure one artist sang it but were surprised to find out it was actually a different artist?

For the longest time, I thought the song “Oh Sheila” was sung by Prince. Was disappointed to find out it was actually Ready for the World.

It was certainly them trying to do their best Prince impression, no question.

Stealers Wheel's 'Stuck in the middle with you' is constantly referred to as a Bob Dylan song.
Technically it’s a Bob Dylan parody song:
Gerry Rafferty and his songs of alienation

The pair their first major writing hit with Stuck In the Middle With You in 1972, a song taken from their self-titled debut-album.

Written as a parody of Bob Dylan’s paranoia, it ridiculed a music industry cocktail party, with the lyrics:

Clowns to the left of me,
jokers to the right,
here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

On The Dark Side, as a kid I thought it was Springsteen.

I still might think so.
I used to work with a guy, that while discussing favorite movies of ALL TIME, answered “Eddie and the Cruisers 2”.

He was dead serious. Not even the first one. Star Wars? The Godfather? Nope, Eddie and the cruisers 2.

when i first heard LONG COOL WOMAN by the HOLLIES i thought it was CCR.

Yes, very similar sound. Another common mix up is people thinking “A Horse with No Name” by America is performed by Neil Young.

I've had to argue a few times about Bob Marley and the Wailers being the original for 'I Shot the Sheriff'.

I've had to argue a few times about Bob Marley and the Wailers being the original for 'I Shot the Sheriff'.

Understandable. My younger self always thought Manfred Mann produced “Blinded by the Light” before I found out it was a Springsteen song. Maybe it’s because the cover version did so much better than the original.

Understandable. My younger self always thought Manfred Mann produced “Blinded by the Light” before I found out it was a Springsteen song. Maybe it’s because the cover version did so much better than the original.

I was surprised when I learned Springsteen also wrote Cadillac Ranch, made famous by the NGDB.

2 Springsteen tunes that I didn't know we're his. As mentioned, Blinded by the light.(manford Man). Because the night(Patti Smith) Springsteen didn't like it.

Last edited:
If we're talking cover songs, that people think the second artist wrote...
All along the watchtower. (Hendrix/Dylan)
Hallelujah. (Cohen/Buckley(amongst others)
Babe I'm going to leave you(Joan Baez/led Zeppelin- although written by Anne bredon)
Cocaine, after midnight (jj Cale/ Clapton)

Robert Johnson has TONS of songs, that people attribute to other artists. Clapton, rolling Stones, led Zeppelin, red hot chili peppers, cream, howlin wolf, muddy waters, White stripes, doors, etc...

Last edited:
If we're talking cover songs, that people think the second artist wrote...
All along the watchtower. (Hendrix/Dylan)
Hallelujah. (Cohen/Buckley(amongst others)
Babe I'm going to leave you(Joan Baez/led Zeppelin- although written by Anne bredon)
Cocaine, after midnight (jj Cale/ Clapton)

Robert Johnson has TONS of songs, that people attribute to other artists. Clapton, rolling Stones, led Zeppelin, red hot chili peppers, cream, howlin wolf, muddy waters, White stripes, doors, etc...
How about Harry Nilsson who had hits with covers of Everybody's Talkin and Without You (by the most tragic band ever Badfinger), while having one of his songs become a huge hit for Three Dog Night (One).

Up until just the other day i thought Local H's "bound for the floor" was the Smashing Pumpkins.

I totally see that.

When I was as kid, I thought van Halen wrote dancing in the streets, and you really got me.

I also had a hard time figuring out whether it was Joy Division, Depeche Mode, or the Smith's.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom