Sooooo are we going to start giving Coleman 25 a game or what? | Syracusefan.com

Sooooo are we going to start giving Coleman 25 a game or what?

Czar

All Conference
Keita spent his 13 minutes just taking up space.

On the basis of his one recent solid game?

That'd be as crazy as completely benching the kid after a bad game.

If we are going to contend for the NC, it won't be with BMK playing significant minutes. DC2, Rak, and JG are going to have to keep stepping it up at the 4/5, and to do that will mean having to give them more minutes. So yeah, of the 80 mins available per game at the 4/5, maybe 25 mins each for those three, with BMK getting the rest makes sense. Something like that.

If we are going to contend for the NC, it won't be with BMK playing significant minutes. DC2, Rak, and JG are going to have to keep stepping it up at the 4/5, and to do that will mean having to give them more minutes. So yeah, of the 80 mins available per game at the 4/5, maybe 25 mins each for those three, with BMK getting the rest makes sense. Something like that.
We contended last year with BMK playing significant minutes. That would also mean no production from our other two again. We just need one of the three to go shaky potatoes a game and we will be ok. Whether that be scoring, blocks, or rebounding. 1 or 2 of those would be nice, all 3 would be heavenly.

We don't need anything special from our bigs in order to contend. We've got guards and wings who can score (though we need consistency from Grant and more from Gbinije) and our center is rarely going to be featured on offense.

What we need is solid defense, the ability to grab every available defensive rebound, a couple tip-ins, and some decent passing and scoring from a couple spots. For the most part, we have that.

Last edited:
We don't need anything special from our bigs in order to contend. We've got guards and wings who can score (though we need consistency from Grant and more from Gbinije) and our center is rarely going to be featured on offense.

What we need is solid defense, the ability to grab every available defensive rebound, a couple tip-ins, and some decent passing and scoring from a couple decent spots. For the most part, we have that.

While having acceptable production from the bigs would put us in a position to contend, having a real inside game could put us in the position of, dare I say, favorites.

Make no mistake, I am grateful for the contributions BMK has made the last couple years. But he has little upside at this point. IMHO, we should take the calculated risk that DC2 will develop his game to the point where he can begin to reach his potential, and have a bias toward giving BMK's minutes to DC2. If DC2 can play the D, play 25 minutes, set monster screens, and become an 8pt/7reb player, I would be very optimistic about our NC chances.

While having acceptable production from the bigs would put us in a position to contend, having a real inside game could put us in the position of, dare I say, favorites.

Make no mistake, I am grateful for the contributions BMK has made the last couple years. But he has little upside at this point. IMHO, we should take the calculated risk that DC2 will develop his game to the point where he can begin to reach his potential, and have a bias toward giving BMK's minutes to DC2. If DC2 can play the D, play 25 minutes, set monster screens, and become an 8pt/7reb player, I would be very optimistic about our NC chances.

Having an actual inside game probably would put us at the top of the heap. After this many years of watching Boeheim Ball, though, I can't hope for that. Onuaku and Jackson only got ten touches most nights; Christmas and Coleman won't match that (though I think both can be productive).

Can Coleman be as good on defense as Keita by March? We don't know. If he can, he should play more - he does have more upside (for starters, much better hands than Baye).

I'm agnostic on this. Baye has a ceiling and he's reached it. Never going to be a scorer, never going to be a good defensive rebounder. I'd call him our MVP in getting us to two regional finals, though; without his excellent defense, we fall short. If the other guys can match that, good. If not, Baye's going to log some heavy minutes and we're back to the 4-on-5 offense for stretches.

DC2 probably won't see 25mpg's. And he shouldn't. We have 3 centers and they all need time. Plus no need to do that to DC2's knees.

Also, JB is loyal. He won't bench a team playing senior based on 3 games. Remember, BMK has been the loyal player who has been on the short end of the token start thing. What if JB thinks BMK needs some time to get out of his slump.

What may happen if the trend continues is an offensive/defensive situational move. It will be interesting to see if that happens.

Elite Freshmen Point Guard, Lights Out 3pt shooter and solid 2g, two long athletic wings with scoring ability. The only thing were missing is a shot blocker or a low post threat. A low post threat opens up the court with double teams, if Coleman or Rok became effective offensively it creates space for everyone else. We get a low post threat, We become the favorite.

On the basis of his one recent solid game?

That'd be as crazy as completely benching the kid after a bad game.

He's had several solid game so far this year. He's shooting 65% from the field and averaging 5 and 5. Give him run.

Having an actual inside game probably would put us at the top of the heap. After this many years of watching Boeheim Ball, though, I can't hope for that. Onuaku and Jackson only got ten touches most nights; Christmas and Coleman won't match that (though I think both can be productive).

Can Coleman be as good on defense as Keita by March? We don't know. If he can, he should play more - he does have more upside (for starters, much better hands than Baye).

I'm agnostic on this. Baye has a ceiling and he's reached it. Never going to be a scorer, never going to be a good defensive rebounder. I'd call him our MVP in getting us to two regional finals, though; without his excellent defense, we fall short. If the other guys can match that, good. If not, Baye's going to log some heavy minutes and we're back to the 4-on-5 offense for stretches.

Baye isn't good on defense. That's the point.

The thing is guys, Keita is not the defensive presence he was last year.

That's a problem.

cry bull. and i chuckle to think how ridiculous this thread will sound once again next march.

Baye has gotten away with A LOT of lazy defense and even more so rebounding this year. I'm not questioning his work ethic or heart. I just think the physicality of the game may be starting to pass him by.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, BMK was never that great at any aspect of the game of basketball. He moves great up and down the court and had good length but outside of that he is the term "shakey potatoes". He has played some amazing games on the defensive end, but when 1 out of 10 games are amazing it doesn't mean you're a great defender. I think he gets all the love he gets because he was a nobody coming in and he just about matched the production of our mcdonalds all American that came in the same year.

Wow lets bus chuck a guy who was as important to the team's turnaround in the BET and NCAA last year as anybody on the team. That was fast. BMK will be fine. If Coleman undergoes a Mitch McGary type transformation, we will win the NC going away. On his current development arc, we will it by a nose.

HoustonCuse said:
Wow lets bus chuck a guy who was as important to the team's turnaround in the BET and NCAA last year as anybody on the team. That was fast. BMK will be fine. If Coleman undergoes a Mitch McGary type transformation, we will win the NC going away. On his current development arc, we will it by a nose.

I think people overrate BMKs value from last years tournament. He was good, but he would probably be 5th or 6th on the MVP list for the Cuse for the tournament.

I think people overrate BMKs value from last years tournament. He was good, but he would probably be 5th or 6th on the MVP list for the Cuse for the tournament.

I don't--completely disagree with your post.

BMK's contributions were enormous, and can't just be defined statistically. And for the record, even the meager contributions he made scoring were an exponential improvement over the production we were getting in the pivot before that from the other two.

A big factor in the post-season turn around was that we started getting something--anything, really--from the center position. He also started hitting his FTs, after being erratic there all season long. The difference IMO--pure concentration. And BMK was our best defender of the three headed monster at the end of last year, hands down.

Last edited:
Well right now BMK is not the same presence he was last year.

He won a game or two in the run just from the FT line. People are forgetting what he did. In the age of sportscenter highlights, nobody thinks a guy who makes his living on lunchpail defense in the middle of a zone has any value. I agree he hasn't been as good on D so far, but he will. He knows what it takes to contend with top competition and he has shown he can rise to that challenge. He has done it before, he will do it again. And he has earned the right not to get trashed by us here.

HoustonCuse said:
He won a game or two in the run just from the FT line. People are forgetting what he did. In the age of sportscenter highlights, nobody thinks a guy who makes his living on lunchpail defense in the middle of a zone has any value. I agree he hasn't been as good on D so far, but he will. He knows what it takes to contend with top competition and he has shown he can rise to that challenge. He has done it before, he will do it again. And he has earned the right not to get trashed by us here.

Saying somebody isn't good isn't trashing them. I never once discredited his hustle or heart. I also think that he gets the most out of his talents than any player that's played here in a long time. I just do not think he is that talented.

Baye isn't good on defense. That's the point.

He's our best defensive center in terms of running the zone. Rak might be a bit better shot blocker, but goes in and out of focus. Baye is our most consistent center on defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom