Sour Grapes | Syracusefan.com

Sour Grapes

Dave

2nd String
Kentucky is only nominally a college team. They cultivate a mercenary culture among their transient athletes. It is more like an unafilliated minor league team. I am proud of the cameraderie which is described as being part of our team culture. There is something seriously wrong when a college program affirmatively promotes one and done as a way of doing business. College athletics has numerous problems, but even on that troubled landscape Kentucky is a freakin blight. They may burn brightly for a moment but they will crash and burn out in a way which will tarnish their tradition. I like the team we will put on the floor next year.

It's a strange situation that's for sure. You can't really fault them too much for taking advantage of it - that is unless you think they're going about it in unseemly ways. Which, considering the vacated FF's and the relationship with power brokers that Cal fosters to an extent that I don't think many other coaches do, it does seem ugly.

While I enjoy our sense of family...
Cooney brings Rak.
Scoop and Rick brought Dion.
Paul brings Johnny or was it the other way.
DC, Rautins, Triche from JD highshchool in syracuse.
MCW almost brought Noel and even Ledo was in play for awhile.

One of our older insider posters made a good point about this during Feb. March though.
College ball can be run by one and two year players these days. Its just the way it is.
Lamb helped Kemba, look at Uk this year.
We were running on CJ, Melo, and Dion big time this year. As well as Rak while Fab was out. Thets not kid ourselves.
Its not about how old you are or how long your in college. Its about how efficient and good you are.

Nobody out there is looking for seniority they are only looking for whos good.
We grabbed Coleman and Grant.
Missed out on Noel, Ledo, Slo-Mo, Jefferson, Reinhardt, Gathers, to name a few.

MCW could be the best guard in the big east next year. And hes only a sophmore.

Kentucky is only nominally a college team. They cultivate a mercenary culture among their transient athletes. It is more like an unafilliated minor league team. I am proud of the cameraderie which is described as being part of our team culture. There is something seriously wrong when a college program affirmatively promotes one and done as a way of doing business. College athletics has numerous problems, but even on that troubled landscape Kentucky is a freakin blight. They may burn brightly for a moment but they will crash and burn out in a way which will tarnish their tradition. I like the team we will put on the floor next year.
Its not like Kentucky has not crashed and burned before. The two I remember were the Alex Groza point-shaving deal and the Chris Mills Fed-Ex deal. The Groza thing 60+ yrs ago was real big.