South Carolina Game Thread... | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

South Carolina Game Thread...

Pretty much nothing whatsoever good to take away from this game. Really poor effort on every conceivable front

Stupid stream cuts out quick with little post game commentary

It's one game and hopefully this is just a hot take that will be proven wrong but I've done a complete 180 on what to expect from Gillon and White. Chukwu is not good at basketball and that leaves us with Howard, Lydon and a top end recruit Boeheim won't play.

Chukwu was just so bad it's amazing. Amazing.

I expect nothing from him for the rest of the year. He's not even a good rim protector.

It's one game and hopefully this is just a hot take that will be proven wrong but I've done a complete 180 on what to expect from Gillon and White. Chukwu is not good at basketball and that leaves us with Howard, Lydon and a top end recruit Boeheim won't play.
My biggest disapointment is with the interior play. I thought we had the length to really make it tough on opponents. Not the case I guess.

Poor performance by all, other than Lydon.

The frosh/newcomers contributed pretty much nothing, the interior D was porous, and missed bunnies and FTs in the 2nd half pretty much killed our comeback hopes.

Expected more from an experienced guy like Gillon - he was erratic and out of control.

Ugly, ugly game stylistically.

I dont know. Honestly after all the missed free throws, bad calls, the ol in and outs(tm), etc, it was still within reach with a few minutes to go before it totally fell out of control. I see that as a positive.

I was thinking wouldn't have to do any bubble talk threads this year, and instead focus on pod seeds.

Not so sure anymore... just one game however.

My biggest disapointment is with the interior play. I thought we had the length to really make it tough on opponents. Not the case I guess.
Chukwu and Thompson might be the worst defenders I've ever seen. Obviously Thompson is just a freshman but holy **** they are poor.

Gillon looks like a turnover machine. Has zero handle/vision to match his speed and quickness.

White looks slow and unathletic against legit d-1 talent.

Howard and Lydon belong but that's about it as far as our first real test is concerned.

Coleman can be helpful but JB apparently thinks Chukwu should play most of the game.

Battle the bench manager is helping me answer the question as to why we have trouble winning the battles for elite level prospects.

Roberson is an enigma, yet again, as a senior.

Proves again you can't evaluate the team when they just beat up inferior cupcakes. Lots of weaknesses exposed today against a decent (not great) team. Howard's ball handling is poor against pressure. Awkward high dribble. Gillon needs lots of space to shoot. Against ACC teams he won't see a lot of space. Weak rebounding kinda as usual. Only Coleman is a strong rebounder. Made a run with him in. When he went out it was back to watching SC grab every rebound. Chukwu is bad on both ends. Does little on D. Useless on O. The whole team is Lydon and White -- and White wasn't good today. Battle looked a deer in the headlights today. Lot's to work on.

Time to put the brakes on Final 4 talk. Team still needs to come together, but there's a lot of issues that need to be corrected -- and some there may be no answers.

I already tried to tell folks that after they were complaining about our ratings in the RPI and Gottlieb's opinion, which apparently was correct!!

Howard's poor body language and defeat on his face when he was missing 4 consecutive free throws was deserving of getting benched but there's no 1st string PG to replace him. That was ugly. Someone needs to talk to him about his body language. Practicing free throws would help too...but we know from history that's not happening.

Howard's poor body language and defeat on his face when he was missing 4 consecutive free throws was deserving of getting benched but there's no 1st string PG to replace him. That was ugly. Someone needs to talk to him about his body language. Practicing free throws would help too...but we know from history that's not happening.

Agreed, but the announcers even talked about Boeheim's body language. About everyone looked flaccid today, and I'm really wondering what went on last night.

Wait a second. The kid went from shooting 10% from 3 last year to what we are seeing this year (over 50) and you're saying he won't practice?

I dont know. Honestly after all the missed free throws, bad calls, the ol in and outs(tm), etc, it was still within reach with a few minutes to go before it totally fell out of control. I see that as a positive.

Plus, that white guy on SC got away with 87 travels...call of those I'm not sure they scored a basket! :)

Wait a second. The kid went from shooting 10% from 3 last year to what we are seeing this year (over 50) and you're saying he won't practice?
Not saying that at all. He obviously has greatly improved his perimeter shooting. I'm being sarcastic about practicing free throws because I don't think SU ever works hard on FT shooting for 40 years. JB doesn't think it's important.

May have found our weakness. Lydon and White aren't forwards who can beat you off the dribble. Gillon looks pretty terrible against legit talent right now. That leaves Howard and Battle to break down defenses.

If Lydon can't beat guys off the dribble, how the hell is going to play in the NBA?

Not saying that at all. He obviously has greatly improved his perimeter shooting. I'm being sarcastic about practicing free throws because I don't think SU ever works hard on FT shooting for 40 years. JB doesn't think it's important.

Not true. They start and end every practice with free throws.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom