South Florida ESPN Radio: CAL Is Bad For College Hoops and should | Syracusefan.com

South Florida ESPN Radio: CAL Is Bad For College Hoops and should

arbitragegls

All Conference
go to Knicks or Clippers. Talk show went on to say that Cal is only a # of weeks, months away from having the title stripped if he is the same recruiter from UMASS and Memphis. He has learned to "outplay the NCAA" and makes the bball year not as meaningful or fun as before he was a KY coach.
The talk show host really ripped him on 760 AM...all but calling him a cheat. Says he has nothing to prove (if he proved anything at all this year) but should leave and go pro! Wonder how many more sports analysts and talk show hosts feel this way? After all Dickie V annoited CAL as one of the best...?????????????????????? Which call out do you think is true...CAL is not good for college bball or Cal is one of the best?

He can be both. It's similar to the current situation in college football - the SEC is the best conference by far...but that is IMHO bad for college football. Travelling in the Midwest and northeast for work, I can't tell you the last time anyone was talking about college football. There's no point, everyone knows a team from the SEC is going to win the championship. IIRC that started to show in the ratings for the championship game this year.

I think we're seeing in college football and basketball an increasingly centralized power base. I don't think college athletics following the NBA/MLB model is good for the long term health of the industry. Probably not so severe that anyone in the SEC will be inclined to change their approach, but enough that someone living in New York or Michigan will notice a decline in interest in college sports.

So I think Cal is a hell of a coach/recruiter, AND bad for college basketball

go to Knicks or Clippers. Talk show went on to say that Cal is only a # of weeks, months away from having the title stripped if he is the same recruiter from UMASS and Memphis. He has learned to "outplay the NCAA" and makes the bball year not as meaningful or fun as before he was a KY coach.
The talk show host really ripped him on 760 AM...all but calling him a cheat. Says he has nothing to prove (if he proved anything at all this year) but should leave and go pro! Wonder how many more sports analysts and talk show hosts feel this way? After all Dickie V annoited CAL as one of the best...?????????????????????? Which call out do you think is true...CAL is not good for college bball or Cal is one of the best?
Better recruiter than coach, gets too much credit for how good a coach. Nothing could be easier than to win with that talent. And he obviously skirts the rules because he has already been penalized not once, but twice, at 2 different schools. Of course he hurts the game. How could anyone bow down to his stacked juggernauts every year when they know it was assembled using questionable means? I like Bob Knights approach, never mention "that program" by name.