Southerland out | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Southerland out

Is college really that hard? Honestly...

Depends on what you're "studying". Time management and priorities; the ones who fail out fail at both of these.

This is ridiculous to say the least - will we ever have another year that some off the court issue or an injury does not derail a promising season - this sucks! And if this is an academic issue for the 2nd straight year, the academic advisor needs to be fired immediately. And as hard as it is to do in this era of college basketball, we may have to pass up on some guys in the future who cannot get it done in the classroom.

Who supervises them?

If the last two years are any indication, I would say nobody. It has become ridiculous and even makes it hard to be a true fan.

When I was at SU '98-'02 there was some type of athletic department worker who made sure the players were at least attending classes. As a teacher and coach I know that someone can't be force to do their work, but with all the support these athletes can get, tutors, evening study halls etc. there is no excuse to become academically ineligible.

Could be a blessing in disguise-- get our freshman more pt. Honestly though, this is getting to be a very big problem, across all sports, and there's no solution to it. Kids need to wake the hell up.

Guess we can't use the "he had trouble adjusting to this country's culture and language".

Why are our standards so hard? Really?

If a kid with a free ride can't get his school work done its not on the university.

Whats the point of following a team if their is a 50% chance they will be derailed every year because one of the players has academic problems. It sucks big time for the fan. Makes me feel watching the team is all that is important and winning means nothing.

Its as rediculous as the new GPA rules. If the kids don't get a college degree oh well. Screw academics. College basketball is a mentoring program. These kids who play at top colleges are good enough to play pro somewhere and if not good enough to coach a jv, high school college team somewhere. And if not have a hell of a body for physical labor.
In the NBA all you have to do is practice to stay on the team and it has its share of thugs as well.

Could be a blessing in disguise-- get our freshman more pt. Honestly though, this is getting to be a very big problem, across all sports, and there's no solution to it. Kids need to wake the hell up.

Guess we can't use the "he had trouble adjusting to this country's culture and language".

Blessing in disguise? You can pretty much write off the NCAA tourney if he's ineligible long term.

Wonder if it explains Southerland's poor shooting against Providence. Probably not.

unreal. you'd think mr.hall of fame would learn (esp. after last year) to stay on top of this sh%T.

So he sits out 3 games, plays the remainder of the season while Grant and Cooney collect splinters, and then is ruled ineligible again on the eve of the NCAA tourney. Great.

It was definitely academics and nothing about the entire season was brought up it was more indefinite

Whats the point of following a team if their is a 50% chance they will be derailed every year because one of the players has academic problems. It sucks big time for the fan. Makes me feel watching the team is all that is important and winning means nothing.

Its as rediculous as the new GPA rules. If the kids don't get a college degree oh well. Screw academics. College basketball is a mentoring program. These kids who play at top colleges are good enough to play pro somewhere and if not good enough to coach a jv, high school college team somewhere. And if not have a hell of a body for physical labor.
In the NBA all you have to do is practice to stay on the team and it has its share of thugs as well.

Are you serious? Are you an alum? I am and I think that if any student can't do the work then they don't belong in school. Do you have any idea how hard it is to become Ineligible???????

MCW says it's a "misunderstandin." I'm going with that until I hear differently. **wishful thinking**

Congratulations. You've had some horrible posts over the years but this takes the cake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom