Spiderman Homecoming | Syracusefan.com

Spiderman Homecoming

Ragman2000

Pee-Trough Advocate
Just saw Spiderman Homecoming, and I have to say I think it's the best of all of the Marvel Studio films, homerun.

I've never been a huge Marvel guy... I've seen most of them, but in general feel they are overly safe and formulaic. I'll watch them and enjoy them, but generally speaking I've forgotten most of it the next day. This movie is different in my opinion.

I feel it combines what I like best in prior Marvel films and expands on that. It has the humor of a Guardians of the Galaxy, the sense of some grounded realism that the first iron Man had, and even a bit of the "don't take it seriously" self referencing aspect of say Deadpool.

Overall, A+ for a fun comic book movie. Tom Holland is perfectly cast as Peter Parker, and Michael Keaton is perfect as a believable villain. I will add that were also a few plot points that I did not expect but played out very well. Can't wait for the next installment. The end of credits end credit scene is perfect too, my favorite of them all.

The wife and I are going to see it this afternoon. I'm not a huge Marvel guy either for similar reasons. But they're decent popcorn movies. I am looking forward to Spiderman: Homecoming more than usual, however, because a good friend of ours makes his Marvel debut in this film.

Last edited:
I hate spiderman and superman.

That being said, this move was an absolute homerun. 9.5/10 because I believe the next will only get better.

I thought it was a pretty good debut for Spider-Man in the MCU. What Kevin Feige does best is really integrate the characters into this universe he's created. Give it a few years and most people will think of Tom Holland as Spider-Man and forget about Tobey Maguire (I assume Andrew Garfield has already been forgotten).

One of only two minor things I didn't like was the timeline being skewed from the other films. This movie takes place in 2017, yet it said the Chitauri Invasion from the first Avengers movie was 8 years earlier. Avengers was released in 2012 and in the first Captain America movie, when Cap wakes up in the modern world, Nick Fury even tells him welcome to 2011 I believe.

The other minor detail was the Staten Island Ferry allowing cars. Cars have been banned since 09/11 but maybe that didn't happen in this universe.

Overall, I'd say it was a promising start. Looking forward to the sequel.

I thought it was a pretty good debut for Spider-Man in the MCU. What Kevin Feige does best is really integrate the characters into this universe he's created. Give it a few years and most people will think of Tom Holland as Spider-Man and forget about Tobey Maguire (I assume Andrew Garfield has already been forgotten).

One of only two minor things I didn't like was the timeline being skewed from the other films. This movie takes place in 2017, yet it said the Chitauri Invasion from the first Avengers movie was 8 years earlier. Avengers was released in 2012 and in the first Captain America movie, when Cap wakes up in the modern world, Nick Fury even tells him welcome to 2011 I believe.

The other minor detail was the Staten Island Ferry allowing cars. Cars have been banned since 09/11 but maybe that didn't happen in this universe.

Overall, I'd say it was a promising start. Looking forward to the sequel.

The Garfield Spiderman movies didn't interest me at all. The first two Toby ones were pretty good. As you said, Tom Holland will make people forget the others. Spiderman belongs in the MCU and the movie is better because of it. Just drop a teenage Peter Parker into that world and off you go. I liked all of the kids in Peter's nerdy high school clique. As Ragman said, Michael Keaton was superb. I've always liked when he plays a villain. Pacific Heights comes to mind with that sort of menace just under the surface. I also enjoyed seeing a friend of mine on the big screen for the first time even if his part in the film was small. Overall, I give it 4.5/5 stars.

Last edited:
I just can't get excited about it. It seems like it is about the 12th Spiderman movie with the 3rd or 4th guy playing Spiderman in a universe that seems to reboot itself every 3 years. I've completely burned out on anything with a superhero in it at this point. Not saying this bash anybody who is into it or liked the movie, just my opinion which I am sharing for no good reason.

I just can't get excited about it. It seems like it is about the 12th Spiderman movie with the 3rd or 4th guy playing Spiderman in a universe that seems to reboot itself every 3 years. I've completely burned out on anything with a superhero in it at this point. Not saying this bash anybody who is into it or liked the movie, just my opinion which I am sharing for no good reason.

Now that the MCU has a hold on it, don't expect to see a reboot for a very long time. This is a standalone film, but also part of something bigger. I believe this is the 16th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The man behind it, Kevin Feige, has been trying to get the rights to Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four(still working on it) for a while. Every single movie for the last 9 years has been leading up to the next two Avengers movies. DC is doing something similar now with its Justice League movies. Pretty remarkable how many interconnected movies have been made so far in this universe. I haven't even mentioned the TV series that are involved as well(the Netflix ones are fantastic).

Just saw it and it's really good, only a couple minor gripes, one being him not having his own "true" suit. And some continuation errors that are already mentioned and some of the classic ideas from the comics. Like being into photography, the daily bugel, and I think a mention of uncle Ben, not that we needed that whole scene but a mention and maybe Pete saying the infamous line.

The teeny Pete worked in school and his whole demeanor, and the change in people were refreshing from the mysterious MJ to Ned to Liz to flash, that was all nice.

And I gotta say the vulture was a good Villan, and having he other villains being set ups for future was fresh.

Loved the movie...my only issue is that Spider Man didn't really defeat the bad guy. He won on a technicality.

Holland is great in the role and I think it's up there with Spider Man 2, Guardians 1 and Civil War as the best super hero movies.

Just saw it yesterday. We came out of it wondering if MJ was an homage to Mary Jane?

Super fun movie. I'm glad it was actually a Spiderman movie and not Iron Man and Underoos. Thought the highschool dynamics were great. They set up some interesting things with Scorpion and the Prowler. I wonder if between Vulture, Shocker and Scorpion if they're low key lining up a version of the sinister six?

Anybody catch the branzino reference?

Super fun movie. I'm glad it was actually a Spiderman movie and not Iron Man and Underoos. Thought the highschool dynamics were great. They set up some interesting things with Scorpion and the Prowler. I wonder if between Vulture, Shocker and Scorpion if they're low key lining up a version of the sinister six?

Anybody catch the branzino reference?
Haven't seen it yet, but I thought it was setting up for sinister six too the way everyone was talking about villain origins!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg
The opportunities are endless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors