Spiking it | Syracusefan.com

Spiking it

SWC75

Bored Historian
I've heard over and over again the last couple of days that Georgia's Aaron Murray should have spiked it "to make sure they got two plays". If the next had been what the last play was, wouldn't it still have been the last play?

I've heard over and over again the last couple of days that Georgia's Aaron Murray should have spiked it "to make sure they got two plays". If the next had been what the last play was, wouldn't it still have been the last play?
everyone just assumes the timeout helps the offense prepare more than it helps the defense prepare

There are two schools of though with equal credibility. Georgia was on a roll and they did not want to give the Alabama defense a chance to get set so they ran the play. It was supposed to be either a score or an incomplete pass in which case they would have had time for another play. As it turned out, the pass was tipped and the receiver fell down.

The notion that they should have spiked it is valid but not the only point of view.

Criticizing the Georgia decision is simply Monday morning quarterbacking. Forget sportscasters, 50% of coaches would have made the same decision.

wasnt it first down? spiking it means they could have gotten 3 plays off if done correctly. running the play that should have gotten two plays off is not really the wrong thing.. the only wrong thing is the player not be smart enough to not catch the ball.. spiking the ball would have given them a chance to talk about that though.

If they had spiked it, it would have been 2nd down and goal from about the 12 ish yard line with about 12-13 seconds left. They could have had at least 2 more plays (possibly 3) if they had spiked it.

I disagree with Crusty in saying that 50% of the coaches would have done the same thing. I dont see how that number could be more than 10%. This wasnt a regular season game. It was a chance to play for a NC. Richt has had questionable decisions second guessed in the past. The absolute only decision there was to spike it, remind him that he needs to throw it in the end zone or throw it away and let the chips fall when they may.

Frankly I am surprised that the receiver didnt just drop it on purpose. Even if the pass was not tipped it would have not gone into the end zone. Just a bizarre decision all around.

The Georgia staff knows their players and how prepared they were when this situation happened so if this situation is worked on in practice then why not go with what you'd assume and accomplished in those practices?

If you watch the replay you'll see the Bama db hands all over the bulldog receiver in the end zone. Yes I know the ball was tipped but the Bama db didn't plus it was before the throw.

How do you know that?

Go back and watch the replay. He was trying to throw a back shoulder fade that looked like it would have been very close. I think it would have ended up short. Regardless it was still the wrong call to rush a play given what was at stake.

It takes a few seconds to spike it as well.

Hindsight is 20/20. I still think if Murray's pass wasn't tipped the wideout catches it and runs in. If you watch the replay, two 'bama defenders run into eachother, and a separate DB is blocked in the corner of the endzone. If that happened, people would be saying how great the hurry up was to catch 'bama off guard.

So- now my question, was the last play unlucky for Georgia :) ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom