Spirit versus Led Zeppelin | Syracusefan.com

Spirit versus Led Zeppelin

The other day I watched something about this with Rik Emmitt from Triumph. Similar thing. The songs have similar chord progressions and that's it. There are many, many songs with this same progression. It's a nonsense lawsuit.

LZ should have this guy as a witness.
That said, I know nothing about copywrite law.

The songs are different however that riff is quite similar and I'm sure Led Zeppelin was influenced by Spirit when they wrote Stairway To Heaven. I don't know who's going to win but it's ridiculous of Page to deny he ever heard that musical element before considering the bands toured together and that he owned the Spirit album that the song was on.

There's already a legal precedent where a simple riff or progression, when repeated, is pretty much the new song - no matter how different the later song is. The Stranglers won against Elastica based on this, and the Rolling Stones won against the Verve for "Bittersweet Symphony." I'd be surprised if Spirit lost, especially with the connection between the 2 bands.

So the verdict came out. The jury found for Page and Plant.

I don't have too much of a problem with the verdict but it'd be nice if Led Zep at least acknowledged they were inspired by Spirit. Stairway To Heaven is a far better song than Taurus but that passage is quite similar for a few seconds.

I was surprised. Oddly, the jurors weren't allowed to compare the records, but rather had to hear other musicians playing their own interpretations, for some reason. Also, Zeppelin had lost a few of these suits in the past (they were settled, though). I think their lawyer succeeded in convincing the jury that the riff wasn't invented by anyone in Spirit, either.