Sports Analytics Dept at SU | Syracusefan.com

Sports Analytics Dept at SU

Arangeman

All Conference
Is there any collaboration between the Sports Anaytics Dept. and basketball? SU is one of the few schools in the country to offer this major. We have professors on campus that are sports analytics experts as well as students who could possibly do internships, projects, etc.

Sports analytics are a big part of the future. If feasible, wouldn't it make sense to integrate this resource we have right on campus?

Last edited:
When it came out last year my son picked it up as a minor.

5 years too late :(

Just like the combined engineering/MBA program happened like right in the middle of my Cuse tenure

I think Hopkins was the analytics proponent on the staff. I would assume Boeheim don't have time for dat sheet.
Correct. Don't think we used this info nearly enough with Hop on the staff. Without him...

Suffice it to say I really hope whoever we add to the staff comes from an environment where this information was valued and used regularly.

Might as well be a math major.

As someone who's worked in the sports industry, I didn't meet anyone at the respective leagues who majored in sports management or a sports related discipline.

Correct. Don't think we used this info nearly enough with Hop on the staff. Without him...

Suffice it to say I really hope whoever we add to the staff comes from an environment where this information was valued and used regularly.

This post scares me.

A while back Hopkins answered a question on Twitter about the use of sports analytics within the team and he said it was very minimal.

I remember it so clearly because I was frustrated with the answer.
Not only are analytics the future...they're the present.
It seems the only numbers the Orange focus on are 2-3.

Not only are analytics the future...they're the present.
It seems the only numbers the Orange focus on are 2-3.

You don't need analytics in basketball or sports for that matter. If you actually watch the game, your eyes will tell you what you need to know.

You don't need analytics in basketball or sports for that matter. If you actually watch the game, your eyes will tell you what you need to know.

I would argue that most, if not all sports, benefit from the use of analytics as well as observing games and performance. Unless you're Jim Buss this is pretty much universally regarded as fact in sports in 2017.

JB def uses analytics. It's a big reason we run the 2-3. He's all about math. I just wish we would expand our use of analytics and utilize all available resources. We should always be looking for an edge.

Last edited:
When looking at the UW basketball website this past Sunday something that stood out was a dedicated staff member for analytics. I just checked the website again and Hop is the only staff person listed. It will be interesting to see if UW/Hop keep this position when formulating the composition of the basketball staff. Not sure if the 1.35mil is just for the 3 assistant coaches or the entire basketball staff.

In regards to SU hoops maybe there is a greater use of analytics behind the scenes than known to the public. In reality SU needs to use every competitive advantage available if they want to be among the last teams standing on a year in and year out basis for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Analytics is huge, from a business perspective.

Sports Analytics is such a small application of analytics.

Get a degree in computer science, math or statistics instead of a narrow degree like Sports Analytics. The broader category degrees will always be in higher demand and more applicable to real world situations.

When looking at the UW basketball website this past Sunday something that stood out was a dedicated staff member for analytics. I just checked the website again and Hop is the only staff person listed. It will be interesting to see if UW/Hop keep this position when formulating the composition of the basketball staff. Not sure if the 1.35mil is just for the 3 assistant coaches or the entire basketball staff.

In regards to SU hoops maybe there is a greater use of analytics behind the scenes than known to the public. In reality SU needs to use every competitive advantage available if they want to be among the last teams standing on a year in and year out basis for the foreseeable future.

A designated analytics staff member would be even better.

Analytics is huge, from a business perspective.

Sports Analytics is such a small application of analytics.

Get a degree in computer science, math or statistics instead of a narrow degree like Sports Analytics. The broader category degrees will always be in higher demand and more applicable to real world situations.

The fundamental error of sports analytics is that it makes no allowance for the exact competition whereas other disciplines better model variables. According to ESPN, the Atlanta Falcons had a 99.7%+ win probability when they went up 28-3 against New England in the Super Bowl. Because the analytics made no allowance for who the Falcons were playing, everyone in the country was told the Patriots were finished.

In reality, New England had a far greater chance because they a) had the best coach of all time and b.) had the best QB of all time. Teams really need to be careful about putting too much credence into this stuff. It doesn't do everything the stat geeks suggest...yet.

Last edited:
Not analytics but doesn't Izzo have like 80 student assistants breaking down film?

Is there any collaboration between the Sports Anaytics Dept. and basketball? SU is one of the few schools in the country to offer this major. We have professors on campus that are sports analytics experts as well as students who could possibly do internships, projects, etc.

Sports analytics are a big part of the future. If feasible, wouldn't it make sense to integrate this resource we have right on campus?

SU was first to offer this depth of study...largely because of the extremely good-looking members of the Falk School Board.

Early days, but not enough overlap yet.

Just learn math or comp sci or data science. Apply to sports later, that's the easy part

Didn't see Orlando, what he said

Not analytics but doesn't Izzo have like 80 student assistants breaking down film?
If Cuse offered an internship where students could get college credit for watching film and writing notes, I bet there would be 500 applicants

Just learn math or comp sci or data science. Apply to sports later, that's the easy part

Didn't see Orlando, what he said

Not to "actually..." but

You can get a lot done even with some easy to learn skills, just above basic statistics, SQL and knowledge of an open source language to do data analysis with like R or Python.

Professional sports analytics relies more on proprietary data, that past couple of years almost none of the papers presented at the Sloan Conference were based on publicly available data. If the program is properly integrated with the athletics department, it can provide students with the access to proprietary data (ticketing/merch, sportvu, fitness tracking, etc.) and the change to develop their own IP that will be appealing professional.

The downside is that sports analytics are still significantly undervalued and more is expected for significantly less money than those skills would earn elsewhere. If you are dedicated to sports, it presents opportunity but if you are just interested in data better to go the traditional programming/math route.