Sports arena: Common councilors say Syracuse 'must seize this opportunity now | Syracusefan.com

Sports arena: Common councilors say Syracuse 'must seize this opportunity now

Fear-mongering from the Common Council.
We could really use some non-politically affiliated economic leadership now. Not sure who can provide this, though.

Fear-mongering from the Common Council.
We could really use some non-politically affiliated economic leadership now. Not sure who can provide this, though.
I think you're correct, but this situation is even more exasperating knowing that our Mayor is in way over her head.

The mayor is in her second term knowing there is no re-election she has to worry about. I expect her to drag her and take her time with this. Because the "mall" and this potential stadium will be her legacy in this city.

I think you're correct, but this situation is even more exasperating knowing that our Mayor is in way over her head.
I am a republican through and through, but if you have ever met or worked with Mayor Miner she is never in over her head.

I am a republican through and through, but if you have ever met or worked with Mayor Miner she is never in over her head.

your right she is too busy counting every single last penny. that's her problem she is a control freak, which is the same as being in over her head imo

She was over her head as a councilor.

I don't think she is necessarily in over her head, I just think she has no political savvy and has no idea how to work the system to get anything done. Being a bulldog and a watchdog isn't necessarily a bad thing but when you are a politician trying to get something you want, namely funding for the city, you don't tick off everybody that can help you. That just isn't smart. My guess is she gets nothing done for the remainder of her term and no more funding than was budgeted for the city. To that I say, Good Job Mayor, way to help!

My guess is she gets nothing done for the remainder of her term and no more funding than was budgeted for the city. To that I say, Good Job Mayor, way to help!

This I agree with. I think there is this "false notion" out there that ok they are talking new stadium now and in a year from now everything will be ready and Minor will be on board and the money will be there blah blah blah. I think people who believe that are sadly mistaken. It takes many many years and many debates to get new stadiums built in this country. It's a long and slow process. Everyone who has their hand in this needs to come out looking like they "got something" and that "they won" when a deal is finalized. SU will get a new stadium eventually but it probably won't be complete in this decade that's for sure!

My biggest concern with making this downtown, is that it isn't in the best interest of SU, but of Syracuse as a whole.

In fact I bet it hurts SU quite a bit long-term having the stadium downtown. Less students will travel to games (even if buses would go from campus to the game) Less revenue for the school, and the University loses an iconic measure on its surface, and that would be tough to quantify in terms of dollars.

Would absolutely love to see the new stadium stay on campus. Ideally near the dome, but it would very likely have to be built down along the south campus.

This I agree with. I think there is this "false notion" out there that ok they are talking new stadium now and in a year from now everything will be ready and Minor will be on board and the money will be there blah blah blah. I think people who believe that are sadly mistaken. It takes many many years and many debates to get new stadiums built in this country. It's a long and slow process. Everyone who has their hand in this needs to come out looking like they "got something" and that "they won" when a deal is finalized. SU will get a new stadium eventually but it probably won't be complete in this decade that's for sure!
That's why it was important to get the funds appropriated to the project. Work on the specifics later. Syracuse has been talking about the convention center hotel for a decade. There are still funds being held for that.

Good post. I think you're right on most of that, most especially the part about everyone involved needing to "come out looking like they 'got something' and that 'they won' when a deal is finalized."

The world needs watchdogs, I suppose. But syracuse needs some forward-thinkers. IMHO Miner is far too much of the former, and little to none of the latter.

I do, however, think this project will be underway within a couple of years in spite of Mayor Miner.

That's why it was important to get the funds appropriated to the project. Work on the specifics later. Syracuse has been talking about the convention center hotel for a decade. There are still funds being held for that.

Correction. Syracuse has been talking about the convention center hotel since the early 80s at least. Don't get me started on that one. That whole War Memorial, hotel Syracuse, Convention Center debacle is the biggest example of political ineptitude in Syracuse that I can think of.

I don't think she is necessarily in over her head, I just think she has no political savvy and has no idea how to work the system to get anything done. Being a bulldog and a watchdog isn't necessarily a bad thing but when you are a politician trying to get something you want, namely funding for the city, you don't tick off everybody that can help you. That just isn't smart. My guess is she gets nothing done for the remainder of her term and no more funding than was budgeted for the city. To that I say, Good Job Mayor, way to help!
Since Miner and Cuomo are members of the same political party it's logical to assume that she would be the point person for the project. Why didn't that happen?

Instead, Mario's son decided to bypass Miner and proceed with the planning phase working with Mahoney at the county level. Why? Is Miner too difficult to work with, especially on time sensitive projects?

Maybe their (Cuomo, et al) plan all along was to force Miner into action by initially keeping her out of the loop and then go public with the proposal after she got her panties in a bunch.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/24/nyregion/syracuses-mayor-miner-irritates-cuomo-over-state-aid-to-cities.html?
Cuomo and Miner used to be very close until Miner put the city's interest ahead of the party interest.
But just 10 days ago the headline read

Miner praises Cuomo for 'positive speech,' looks forward to 'fuller exploration' of Upstate issues
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....looks_forward_to_fuller_exploration_of_u.html
Andrew even praised Miner & Mahoney during his speech where they rose to their feet.

Boy was that ever a fast turn around in affections.

Good post. I think you're right on most of that, most especially the part about everyone involved needing to "come out looking like they 'got something' and that 'they won' when a deal is finalized."

The world needs watchdogs, I suppose. But syracuse needs some forward-thinkers. IMHO Miner is far too much of the former, and little to none of the latter.

I do, however, think this project will be underway within a couple of years in spite of Mayor Miner.
While I do think this project is about a decade away, it wouldn't shock me to see Miner want her name and face all over this project. Which means she is at the ground-breaking ceremony, at the ribbon-cutting ceremony, and she is front and center at the first "game/event" in the new building which she will want to all take place on "her watch." Which could speed this up. She will want her name attached to this building forever and be in those photos forever. So if it was completed before her 2nd term ends...wouldn't shock me. But deep down I don't think this building opens before 2020.

P.S...I agree about Syracuse needing some "forward thinkers." Too much of the "we can't do that" type attitude. And the 81 debate is a classic example of that. But I don't want to get started on that topic.

My biggest concern with making this downtown, is that it isn't in the best interest of SU, but of Syracuse as a whole.

In fact I bet it hurts SU quite a bit long-term having the stadium downtown. Less students will travel to games (even if buses would go from campus to the game) Less revenue for the school, and the University loses an iconic measure on its surface, and that would be tough to quantify in terms of dollars.

Would absolutely love to see the new stadium stay on campus. Ideally near the dome, but it would very likely have to be built down along the south campus.
Set up some "free transit" whether it be a Metro Rail like in Buffalo or just Centro buses that will transport Students to the games. Key word being "FREE!!" It's not like its a half hour away would take 5 min or less by either dedicated Centro buses or a Metro Rail. Problem solved!

Set up some "free transit" whether it be a Metro Rail like in Buffalo or just Centro buses that will transport Students to the games. Key word being "FREE!!" It's not like its a half hour away would take 5 min or less by either dedicated Centro buses or a Metro Rail. Problem solved!

We both know it wouldn't affect the "die hards" in any way, but the wavery student who doesn't want to sit on a bus for 10 minutes will be deterred when in the past his/her buddies can convince them into going. Those type of kids (which I imagine is a relatively small % of the student section) won't show up to as many games, and it will hurt attendence in the long run IMO.

Keep it on campus, and it will be fine.

Newsflash, students do not go to the football games at the Dome. Student attendance nationwide is trending down. Why cater to the students who very rarely show up? They do go to basketball games and my guess is that they wouldn't stop going to basketball games because the stadium is at the bottom of the Hill instead of the top. SU could also do a shuttle for them just like the ones that bring people from Skytop to the Dome for football games.

Shouldn't 300 million dollars of State and County along with 100 million more possible dollars from a local private company COR go to a project that benefits the region and Syracuse as a whole?

So by your reasoning, the local company, state and county should build a stadium that benefits the students that very rarely go to the games? Not likely. I would also like to hear your reasoning about revenue loss from students going to games? I am not sure what students pay for games as far as ticket prices but I am guessing you should be more worried about keeping happy the 30K+ "Townies" that attend and keep the stands full because without them, the program as we now know it would be finished.

But just 10 days ago the headline read

Miner praises Cuomo for 'positive speech,' looks forward to 'fuller exploration' of Upstate issues
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....looks_forward_to_fuller_exploration_of_u.html
Andrew even praised Miner & Mahoney during his speech where they rose to their feet.

Boy was that ever a fast turn around in affections.
Words vs. Actions. Cuomo got his payback by making Miner play the heavy and take the blame for the stalled stadium plans. It worked in a more subtle way than closing toll bridges into the city, but is still transparent enough that any further criticisms would be piling on. Miner learned that going rogue isn't going to be an effective strategy.

I still see mostly politicing here. Without reading more than what was in the linked article, we have:

Miner saying things that follow her prior agenda, only a little nicer:
"There were a lot of things in there that were good announcements and good first steps.."
"I don't think this is by any sense a final determination,'' Miner said. "I think this is part of how you start a policy discussion.''
"I've been led to believe that there will be some funding on that,''

Cuomo praising Miner AND Mahoney:
Cuomo praised Miner in his speech for joining with Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney to study the potential for government consolidation. "We wish them well and we hope other leaders follow their example,'' Cuomo said.

Newsflash, students do not go to the football games at the Dome. Student attendance nationwide is trending down. Why cater to the students who very rarely show up? They do go to basketball games and my guess is that they wouldn't stop going to basketball games because the stadium is at the bottom of the Hill instead of the top. SU could also do a shuttle for them just like the ones that bring people from Skytop to the Dome for football games.

Shouldn't 300 million dollars of State and County along with 100 million more possible dollars from a local private company COR go to a project that benefits the region and Syracuse as a whole?

So by your reasoning, the local company, state and county should build a stadium that benefits the students that very rarely go to the games? Not likely. I would also like to hear your reasoning about revenue loss from students going to games? I am not sure what students pay for games as far as ticket prices but I am guessing you should be more worried about keeping happy the 30K+ "Townies" that attend and keep the stands full because without them, the program as we now know it would be finished.

A new stadium built with the financing structure described the last two weeks will NOT be built on SU property. Period.

One of the reasons to do this is to get this facility on the tax rolls, either fully or with some degree of Pilot treatment. The Dome contributes nothing. Neither does the War Memorial. Between being off the tax rolls and the O&M cost I bet the War Memorial is a net loser for the county.

Replace those two facilities with a privately owned facility that is taxable is a win by itself for the city and county.

SU's analysis comes down to is it more important to free up the land the dome is on and get a new facility vs keeping the status quo and working on constant updates. If it's not, a new stadium won't happen.