Spring Depth Chart Projections | Syracusefan.com

Spring Depth Chart Projections

StCuse315

Walk On
All positions are welcome, but I'm focused on seeing what the board's thoughts are on DT, LB and the entire OL.

Based on nothing:
LT- Patrick Davis
LG- Sam Heckel
C- Aaron Servais
RG- Dakota Davis
RT- Evan Adams

DT- McKinley Williams
DT- Kenneth Ruff

SLB- Tyrell Richards
MLB- Andrew Armstrong
WLB- Mikel Jones

Would be astonished if Mikel walked into start over Wallace.

Would be astonished if Mikel walked into start over Wallace.
Dont think we'll see that in Spring depth chart but this staff recruits players like Mikel Jones by offering the chance to compete. Last year Andre Cisco was not as highly thought of as Jones is now. If he cracks the two deep over Wallace it will be because he's simply better. And will deserve it.

Really think they’re gonna slide Servais over to LT. RT is the big ?
My crystal ball pick is Vettorello.
LG- Dakota
C- Heckel
RG- Adams
It'll change in the fall, but for the spring roster, agreed.

Looks like Vet bumped P.Davis for LT2, last year. P Davis bumped Clark for RT2. I think Clark gave up less pressure(than P.Davis) last spring game, but also had help on that side. Either way, the tackle position will be interesting.

If some of your true freshman aren't playing, you're not getting it done on the recruiting front.

Or it means that your players that came before them are more comfortable with the speed required of the players in the offense and defensive schemes.

Well...Cisco, Williams, Harris...just sayin'.
All came at a time when we did not have great depth at positions. Now you take the 3 classes before this one and you can afford to redshirt and have them learn behind experienced players.

All came at a time when we did not have great depth at positions. Now you take the 3 classes before this one and you can afford to redshirt and have them learn behind experienced players.

I take your point. But, I think we're still in the talent upgrade phase. We're not Clemson...yet.

I take your point. But, I think we're still in the talent upgrade phase. We're not Clemson...yet.
You can’t get to the point clemson is at by having to start true freshman. Redshirting is important for that

Really think they’re gonna slide Servais over to LT. RT is the big ?
My crystal ball pick is Vettorello.
LG- Dakota
C- Heckel
RG- Adams
Don't be surprised if they slide Adams to tackle. He has great feet.

You can’t get to the point clemson is at by having to start true freshman. Redshirting is important for that

You make a good point. That being said, it wouldn't shock me to see one or both of the new LBs get substantial playing time. Also Jordan, the RB, if he's as fast as advertised.

So this is your new angle to doubt Dino, I guess? Back for more? Lol. Nice.

Perhaps you didn't understand. It's not at all a comment about Dino. It was a comment about recruiting in general especially when you are where we were, and to some extent still are. Read the rest of the posts if you are able.

Clemson is the perfect case to show that if your freshman are etter you play them no matter what.period it doesnt matter who they play over or what you're roster looks like.

They won the national championship with a freshman QB who didnt start the season as the QB. He then proceeded to beat out two 4 star qb's ahead of him and the rest is history.

You play to win the game your next playing nothing else matters when you start playing with the big boys.

if Jones is better than Wallace he plays its that simple we dont red shirt for next year you play to win this year simple philosphy that teams like Clemson proves it the right way.

we are playing with the big boys now to hell with red shirts if they are your best players.

In fact, 2 of the best players for Clemson were true freshmen (Lawrence and Ross).

And the year before that Alabama had 5 true freshmen that either started or played significant roles.

I agree if they are gonna get min all year and experience I am for it but if they aren’t as most freshman aren’t ready yet then they should redshirt. As we morph into better players thru the years we could see a bit more that could play as frosh. I also feel if u have 2 equal guys and one is a frosh use the four games then redshirt him. A stud should play if they are that good.

In fact, 2 of the best players for Clemson were true freshmen (Lawrence and Ross).

And the year before that Alabama had 5 true freshmen that either started or played significant roles.

And those players are some of the best in the nation. TL was I think top 5 overall? At our stage we don’t get those players rn so our best option is if possible redshirt them and get them to the point as redshirt freshman to compete with the next class.

Clemson is the perfect case to show that if your freshman are etter you play them no matter what.period it doesnt matter who they play over or what you're roster looks like.

They won the national championship with a freshman QB who didnt start the season as the QB. He then proceeded to beat out two 4 star qb's ahead of him and the rest is history.

You play to win the game your next playing nothing else matters when you start playing with the big boys.

if Jones is better than Wallace he plays its that simple we dont red shirt for next year you play to win this year simple philosphy that teams like Clemson proves it the right way.

we are playing with the big boys now to hell with red shirts if they are your best players.
You seem to be forgetting that Clemson gets elite recruits that are sure fire pros including lawrence.

We havent seen that level of recruit since the 90s.

Its gonna be a while, when we get 3-4 5 stars and the rest 4 stars and recruit in the top ten like Clemson then you can make a comparison.

Until then, relax and let kids that dont need to play redshirt.

And those players are some of the best in the nation. TL was I think top 5 overall? At our stage we don’t get those players rn so our best option is if possible redshirt them and get them to the point as redshirt freshman to compete with the next class.

I understand and agree with your point. Obviously, Clemson, Alabama, OSU etc get some of the very best players in the country year after year after year. And yet they are still playing true freshmen every season. That's a key component, IMO.

To a degree, I think this would also hold true for most teams perennially in the top 25. I am only guessing - but I suspect that if you look at the rosters of all those teams that finished in the top 25 this year the majority would have a few true freshmen that contributed in a meaningful way.

I agree that RSing the majority of your class is the best way to build the program and build depth.

I also think that ultimately the best programs find a few players EVERY year that can meaningfully contribute as true freshmen. We need to get to that level, while also building depth through RSing.