Spring Game | Syracusefan.com

Spring Game

gbo

Resident Clemson Fan
Anyone heading to the spring game this weekend?

Just some hard core... don't think we've ever had more than 10-12k to a Spring game
I’ll be there as usual. Great event for the kids to get up close.

For the record, I’ve been to most. I’d be shocked if there was ever that many, even in the P years? I feel like one of Marrone’s first was 7-8k maybe. I’m prob wrong. I think an average has to be 4-5 thousand? Like a light LAX game?

I honestly miss the days when we had around 5 to 10k as a kid. Now it's like a game weekend and I have to fight traffic with 60k others on Saturday. Should be a fun time regardless for both of our schools. It's always great getting to see the freshmen and walk-ons get some reps.

You guys start winning 9+ games and your spring games will explode like ours did.

I honestly miss the days when we had around 5 to 10k as a kid. Now it's like a game weekend and I have to fight traffic with 60k others on Saturday. Should be a fun time regardless for both of our schools. It's always great getting to see the freshmen and walk-ons get some reps.

You guys start winning 9+ games and your spring games will explode like ours did.
Exploding is relative...for Cuse 12k is probably our ceiling...just not a thing up northeast outside Happy Valley

I’ll be there as usual. Great event for the kids to get up close.

For the record, I’ve been to most. I’d be shocked if there was ever that many, even in the P years? I feel like one of Marrone’s first was 7-8k maybe. I’m prob wrong. I think an average has to be 4-5 thousand? Like a light LAX game?
I'm thinking about bringing the fam, Lum. Hopefully it'll have some of the "fanfest" atmosphere and activities.

Dcuse and I never miss. The syrfan regulars congregate around sect. 116. Look for a guy taking notes on his notebook (Tomcat)

That's fair. I probably judge northeast football off of the passion from this board, so I assume there are a ton of hardcore fans haha.

We have the worst fans in the country...at least according to what I've read on here.

I never missed a Spring Game when I lived in the 'cuse. If you're a fan, what else were you going to do on a Saturday afternoon or in this case a Friday night. I mean how many times can you picnic near the green over red light on Tipperary Hill or visit the boyhood home of Grover Cleveland in Fayetteville? It's kinda fun (eerie and dreamy) to leisurely tour the cavernous dome and see the team up close. It was even eerier when the game was played in crumbling, ancient Archbold, which was reminiscent of the Colosseum in Rome. By the end of those Spring games the sun would play tricks on me and I'd swear you could see the shallow graves of fallen gladiators and the remnants of their once gleaming chariots.

...what else were you going to do on a Saturday afternoon or in this case a Friday night.
I blackout my calendar every year and something always comes up...someone gets sick, someone gets married, someone dies, someone has a baby, fundraisers, board meetings, someone has an emergency with their tax return...True sign of a bandwagoner.

We’ll be there! It was funny, we were watching the one lax game on TV and an ad (more of just a graphic, really) popped up for the Spring Game and I joked that we should go.

Which turned into me “jokingly” planning the logistics...which led to ordering everyone new Orange gear. So... yeah we’ll be there. :)

Heading up with my best friend and our kids... I always remember going as a kid... one game I stood in the field with the team while we all watched the lacrosse game... then when the team went back into the locker room the helped me back over the railing... great memories in th dome!

Dcuse and I never miss. The syrfan regulars congregate around sect. 116. Look for a guy taking notes on his notebook (Tomcat)
Yup, I will be there, iPad in tow. No need to broadcast the game via Periscope this year, thank goodness. It is hard to be the play by play guy and the camera man and the color guy all at the same time.

I can vouch for Tomcat, watching him multi-task at a spring game is a bucket list item you must cross off.

As for the game itself having been to most of them the last 10-15 years the experience/game has become more of a chore then a chance to enjoy some SU football before the 4+ month layoff of the spring and summer. I know kids love it with the ability to get on the field after but the game itself has become forgettable at least in my opinion. Will likely skip it and hit up the lax game the next day instead.

Yup, I will be there, iPad in tow. No need to broadcast the game via Periscope this year, thank goodness. It is hard to be the play by play guy and the camera man and the color guy all at the same time.

Hey those are ILLEGAL in the Dome! How dare you!!!

;)

Heading up with my best friend and our kids... I always remember going as a kid... one game I stood in the field with the team while we all watched the lacrosse game... then when the team went back into the locker room the helped me back over the railing... great memories in th dome!

I just realized that over the years I have seen Syracuse University Football Spring Games at a bunch of venues: (1) Coyne Field - before it was Coyne Field; (2) Archbold Stadium; (3) Auburn High School's Holland Stadium; and (4) the Carrier Dome.

The game oftentimes reveals what the team will be in the fall.

In 1975, the defense dominated the game with guys like Ken Clarke leading the way. The following fall the Orange went 6-5 on the strength of the defense.

In 1988, Todd Philcox threw the ball surprisingly well. The following fall he took the job away from Billy Scharr and led the Orange to a 10 win season.

In 2004 Perry Patterson outplayed true frosh Joe Fields. The following fall Perry won the job in game three.

In 2016 Eric Dungey threw seven (?) TD passes, foreshadowing how well he would play in Coach Babers' system.

Hopefully we'll see something on Friday night to give us hope for a successful 2018 season.

I can vouch for Tomcat, watching him multi-task at a spring game is a bucket list item you must cross off.

As for the game itself having been to most of them the last 10-15 years the experience/game has become more of a chore then a chance to enjoy some SU football before the 4+ month layoff of the spring and summer. I know kids love it with the ability to get on the field after but the game itself has become forgettable at least in my opinion. Will likely skip it and hit up the lax game the next day instead.

That's the spirit!

Will it be streamed anywhere (i.e. Cuse.com or WatchESPN)?

Even when the “game” was better, did you really get anything out of it?

Some may have been better than others, but they’re all a “is what it is” kinda thing.

That's the spirit!

Place is going to be empty tomorrow it is what it is at this point. There will be some buzz going into the season in August but there will be a fraction of the people there tomorrow night that were at "Monster Truck Mania" last weekend at the dome.

I normally bring my boys but with it being at 7pm I don't think I will be able to make it. I don't want to mess with their 7:30-8pm bedtime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom