St Joseph's fires Phil Martelli | Syracusefan.com

St Joseph's fires Phil Martelli

You can tell Martelli was good to the national media.
All of them are circling the wagons praising the guy.
He was a solid coach but probably gave great quotes to the media.

Wonder if he wants to coach again? Surprised they didn't let him call it a retirement after all those years.

Got to meet him once through a mutual friend. Real good guy and someone I thought would be there as long as he wanted. Three losing seasons obviously changed all that.

If I recall, he made big bucks on Wall Street before coming back to coach his Alma Mater. I might be confusing that, as I am getting older.

Get the Colgate guy (Langel). He was an assistant under Dunphy at Temple for several years and played at Penn.

You can tell Martelli was good to the national media.
All of them are circling the wagons praising the guy.
He was a solid coach but probably gave great quotes to the media.

He's a pretty good coach. I'm surprised.

His team was decimated with injuries over the last 2-3 years.

Get the Colgate guy (Langel). He was an assistant under Dunphy at Temple for several years and played at Penn.

Would be a perfect fit, I believe.

Wow. It’s pretty sad. Everything I've ever heard about him has been positive.

Surprised he doesn’t get to leave on his terms and also they had two recent tournament teams.

The right hire could easily get this program consistently near top of A10 like it was in early Martelli years.

Martelli will get a talking head gig in a minute if he wants one

Wow. It’s pretty sad. Everything I've ever heard about him has been positive.

People I know who follow the Big 5 closely are in shock. Team was crushed by injuries last three seasons after winning the A-10 in 2016.

Martelli was a hot commodity back in the early 2000s when he had Jameer Nelson and Delonte West. He was happy at SJU, loyal to them and stayed. This is the thanks he gets after 3 losing seasons? He's been really successful there in context to where St. Joe's is in the basketball world. He did get some bad pub a few years ago when he wouldn't let a player transfer. I think he eventually gave in and let the player transfer.

Sometimes you have to know when to leave ... ahead of the posse.
He is well liked in the industry and has been reasonably successful for a long time. Expect him to find another job at a mid major.

Finer point on the injuries over the last three seasons. These are some key starters with # of games played each season:

2016-/2017- Shevar Newkirk 12, Lamarr Kimble - 24, James Demery -20.
2017/2018 - Lamarr Kimble - 1, Charlie Brown - 0. Brown has pro potential btw.
2018/2019- Pierfrancesco Oliva - 13, Lamarr Kimble - 23.

Surprised he doesn’t get to leave on his terms and also they had two recent tournament teams.

The right hire could easily get this program consistently near top of A10 like it was in early Martelli years.

Martelli will get a talking head gig in a minute if he wants one

was thinking the same thing, would be great in the studio or as a color guy, if he decides to not jump right back into coaching (or coach ever again). pretty surprised about this, even with 3 losing seasons, like others pointed out, they were destroyed with injuries

He's been living off the shine from the 2004 "Perfect Season" for a while now. St. Joe's has been mediocre to poor for the past 15 years. Since 2004, St. Joe's has only made the NCAAs 3 times with only 1 win. You add that to Nova(their most hated rival) becoming a national power and the fans have become restless. It's about time they moved on imo.

He's been living off the shine from the 2004 "Perfect Season" for a while now. St. Joe's has been mediocre to poor for the past 15 years. Since 2004, St. Joe's has only made the NCAAs 3 times with only 1 win. You add that to Nova(their most hated rival) becoming a national power and the fans have become restless. It's about time they moved on imo.
I agree - good guy and all that doesn't pass muster - its a results business that he was well compensated for.

Wish the media wasn't so biased. How can you be shocked that despite a weaker A10, they have had only four 20 W seasons in the last 14 years? They have finished in the Top 3 of the A10 once (T-3rd) in the last 14 seasons. Six of the last 10 seasons they have failed to have a winning record and he has a 183-176 record over the last 11 seasons. That is a long time, stop acting like it was one bad year media.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom