stairway to litigation | Syracusefan.com

stairway to litigation

They definitely do sound similar during part of that one section that recurs but the songs are quite different, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

what perhaps is most interesting legally is that jimmy page can't really claim he never heard the spirit song before writing stairway. that they often played the same venues is a matter of record. and while the entire works are vastly different is many respects the openings of the song remains eerily the same. and yes that phrase just spontaneously popped into my head. but they're different cuz i said eerily.

Last edited:
It's irrelevant, but Randy California had plenty of time to sue when he was alive.

Wow, lawsuit filed in 2014, only 43 years after Stairway to Heaven was released. It took that long to do this?

I always enjoyed the Joe Satriani-Coldplay lawsuit. To me that was a no brainer. Maybe not quite as obvious as Huey Lewis-Ray Parker Jr., but pretty close.

the last coldplay song i remember hearing (talk) was a blatant ripoff of kraftwerks (computer world /love). i got it on vinyl great album .maybe coldplay had permission but it showed zero creative ability. the band creaky boards also claim they stole some stuff. skinny gwinny ruined chris whatshisname.

Kraftwerk_-_Computer_World.png

Last edited:
there are sooo many songs that sound the same and/or have the same chord progressions and/or sound like ripoffs. whatever.

i just heard a song the other day by the velvet underground called "oh sweet nothing" and the song that popped into my head was "Cant you See" by Marshall Tucker written 7 or 8 years later. they're completely different songs but man the intro sure felt like a copy.

the Stones have a number of songs that sound like they were ripped off from early black Blues artists.

there are sooo many songs that sound the same and/or have the same chord progressions and/or sound like ripoffs. whatever.

i just heard a song the other day by the velvet underground called "oh sweet nothing" and the song that popped into my head was "Cant you See" by Marshall Tucker written 7 or 8 years later. they're completely different songs but man the intro sure felt like a copy.

the Stones have a number of songs that sound like they were ripped off from early black Blues artists.

The Stones...like this...a direct rip of the arrangement, the spoken-word interjections in the chorus, and a monologue in the middle of the song. (not the same as claiming writing credit for the song)

Irma Thomas recorded her version a few months before the Stones.