Star Wars: best order for newbies? | Syracusefan.com

Star Wars: best order for newbies?

DoubleDee

All American
I want advice. I think I know how I want to handle this, but a valid argument might be able to convince me otherwise.

My children have seen all 8 Star Wars movies multiple times. The original trilogy and the prequel trilogy were presented to them in the order I saw them. All of my nieces and nephews however have either only seen some, or never seen any of them. Knowing that I am a Star Wars fanatic, they're asking me to host a "marathon" where we would watch one on a Friday night once a month at my house until December when VIII comes out.

My initial instinct is to present them in the order they were released. 4,5,6,1,2,3,7, and 3.5. With the possibility of showing 3.5 in another position, but not sure where. This would basically be Luke's story.

The alternative is showing them in episode order. 1,2,3,3.5,4,5,6,7. This would essentially be Anakins story.

I know what I think, but what would kids who don't know the story want? If you do episode order, you lose the surprise of Vader being the father, and Luke and leia being twins etc. and the "answers" you get watching the prequels second.

I've also heard about the machete order, and I have no interest in that for this situation.

For me there is only one way to watch it. But I also want the kids to get fully engulfed in this, so is that the way to do it?

Just wanted to see what other Star Wars nuts had to say.

The traditional 4,5,6,1,2,3,7,3.5 makes plenty of sense. I think that you could make a case for watching 3.5 first. The important thing is to gain a respect for Darth Vader and watching 1,2,3 first just won't do that.

Go in release order. The Luke/Darth Vader reveal is one of the great moments in 20th century film. It gets unnecessarily negated if you watch the prequels first.

Chronologically, wouldn't it be 1, 2, Clone Wars, 3, Star Wars Rebels, Rogue 1, 4, 5, 6, 7?

I agree that if you watch 1 before Empire, you blow the father reveal - though everyone knows it by now anyway. I think they are all worth watching, except Episode 2.

I would do them in the order they were released.

Chronologically, wouldn't it be 1, 2, Clone Wars, 3, Star Wars Rebels, Rogue 1, 4, 5, 6, 7?

I agree that if you watch 1 before Empire, you blow the father reveal - though everyone knows it by now anyway. I think they are all worth watching, except Episode 2.

I would do them in the order they were released.
Yes it would be that order. But I'm only speaking movies. If they want to watch seasons of Rebels, they're on their own!

Yes it would be that order. But I'm only speaking movies. If they want to watch seasons of Rebels, they're on their own!

Sorry. I lov Star Wars, but i am not a "geek" per se and wasn't trying to geek out. The good thing about having two young boys is that i get to watch those cartoons organically (and All Hail King Julien :)).

Sorry. I lov Star Wars, but i am not a "geek" per se and wasn't trying to geek out. The good thing about having two young boys is that i get to watch those cartoons organically (and All Hail King Julien :)).
Oh me too. It's actually a pretty entertaining show. The lego Star Wars shows are pretty funny too.

since this is for you and your families enjoyment and we all know what the deal is, id watch them in # order.

look at it this way, if you watch 4-6, you know your stuck with 1-3 next...buzzkill.

going in order builds it up.

1-3 each get better and when youre done...Rogue should be out for purchase. then you slide in nicely to 4-7 before you get 8.

I want advice. I think I know how I want to handle this, but a valid argument might be able to convince me otherwise.

My children have seen all 8 Star Wars movies multiple times. The original trilogy and the prequel trilogy were presented to them in the order I saw them. All of my nieces and nephews however have either only seen some, or never seen any of them. Knowing that I am a Star Wars fanatic, they're asking me to host a "marathon" where we would watch one on a Friday night once a month at my house until December when VIII comes out.

My initial instinct is to present them in the order they were released. 4,5,6,1,2,3,7, and 3.5. With the possibility of showing 3.5 in another position, but not sure where. This would basically be Luke's story.

The alternative is showing them in episode order. 1,2,3,3.5,4,5,6,7. This would essentially be Anakins story.

I know what I think, but what would kids who don't know the story want? If you do episode order, you lose the surprise of Vader being the father, and Luke and leia being twins etc. and the "answers" you get watching the prequels second.

I've also heard about the machete order, and I have no interest in that for this situation.

For me there is only one way to watch it. But I also want the kids to get fully engulfed in this, so is that the way to do it?

Just wanted to see what other Star Wars nuts had to say.

We actually did this over Xmas break 2015...we watched them in episode order, not release order. I actually liked it that way because it builds the story with continuity from one episode to the next...

If you start with Jar Jar, that solves your problem. They won't want to come back to watch the rest. Frees up those Friday nights! ;)

4-6, 1-3, 7, 3.5
Is the proper order IMO.

I had this debate with my GF who never saw Godfather before. Should we watch the chronological parts of 2 first or watch Godfather part one and then part two.
We watched it with the young Vito stuff first in The Godfather anthology edition.

I think that you could make a case for watching 3.5 first. The important thing is to gain a respect for Darth Vader and watching 1,2,3 first just won't do that.
I agree. I don't think 3.5 gives any of the major reveals away and it leads nicely into #4. But it definitely shows the power of Darth Vader.

Why not? Start with 3.5 (as above) -4-5 to preserve the big reveal, then show 1-2-3 to see how it came to be, 6 finishes the Vader storyline, then 7 takes it forward.

4-6, 1-3, 7, 3.5
Is the proper order IMO.

I had this debate with my GF who never saw Godfather before. Should we watch the chronological parts of 2 first or watch Godfather part one and then part two.
We watched it with the young Vito stuff first in The Godfather anthology edition.
Godfather, while I thought of it too, is not a good comparison.

those 2 movies are meant to be separate and the way 2 is done...is beautiful.

ive seen the Epic and the Saga, including just last year.

while seeing the story flow and the extra added scenes is nice, its not as good as just watching them as separate entities.

I would always put Rogue before Hope, its just too perfect...but if one goes with 1-3 after the original trilogy...so be it, but personally I wouldn't.

I reserve the right to change my mind though...;):noidea::cool:

Why not? Start with 3.5 (as above) -4-5 to preserve the big reveal, then show 1-2-3 to see how it came to be, 6 finishes the Vader storyline, then 7 takes it forward.

Because the machete order I've read about eliminates I altogether. And as bad as it is, I don't want to do that.

I think it goes 4,5,2,3,6,7

Last edited:
Because the machete order I've read about eliminates I altogether. And as bad as it is, I don't want to do that.

Yep

So what is your decision and when does screening begin? You're going to have to figure it out before the Han Solo movie releases because that will doubtless monkey wrench your whole scheme!

since this is for you and your families enjoyment and we all know what the deal is, id watch them in # order.

look at it this way, if you watch 4-6, you know your stuck with 1-3 next...buzzkill.

going in order builds it up.

1-3 each get better and when youre done...Rogue should be out for purchase. then you slide in nicely to 4-7 before you get 8.
I thought 2 &3 were horrendous

3 was okay.
I Debate which is worse between 1 and 2.
The acting of 2 was so bad.
1 was racist and had midichlorians

3.5, 4-6, 7

Let them watch 1-3 when they want to, but you shouldn't have to sit through them one more time.

3.5 was really good. I was impressed.

1 is better if you watch Ben Hur first.

I thought the end of 7 could have had the hooded figure turn around for us to see Jar Jar Binx, who would say, "Missa Good to See You!" Roll credits.

So to follow up...

We're starting this Saturday, and after discussing it with the kids, the overwhelming choice was in numerical order. So it will be 1,2,3,3.5,4,5,6,7, and the to 8 at the theater.

If they love it, so be it. I know there will be questions from time to time, and I will try to explain to them how the surprises and answers came to us with the theatrical order.

Should be fun!!

So to follow up...

We're starting this Saturday, and after discussing it with the kids, the overwhelming choice was in numerical order. So it will be 1,2,3,3.5,4,5,6,7, and the to 8 at the theater.

If they love it, so be it. I know there will be questions from time to time, and I will try to explain to them how the surprises and answers came to us with the theatrical order.

Should be fun!!
put the day youre watching it on here, Ill try to follow along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom