Starting Forwards | Syracusefan.com

Starting Forwards

Taylor played a much larger role than either of them with 30 minutes played, 4 rebs, 2 assts, and 5 points. He looks like the better shooter, rebounder, and overall player at this point - I hope he continues to see the bulk of the minutes at the 3 spot.

The backups got more minutes than the starters and barely did better.
JBA getting 18 minutes is not the answer, I can tell you that. Love the kid, and he plays hard but he's incredibly limited to what he can do on the floor. Maliq Brown got no run and I'm not sure why. He can't possibly be any less productive than those 2.

JBA getting 18 minutes is not the answer, I can tell you that. Love the kid, and he plays hard but he's incredibly limited to what he can do on the floor. Maliq Brown got no run and I'm not sure why. He can't possibly be any less productive than those 2.
My point is, I don't think there is much on the bench to turn to. I like Brown and Taylor. Hell, I like them all. But, there isn't a star in the bunch, right now. I think Taylor needs to play, as he did against Notre Dame. I think he should start.

Didn’t JB say he was injured. I’d definitely find JT some minutes, doesn’t mean he needs to start, just plat some more.

My point is, I don't think there is much on the bench to turn to. I like Brown and Taylor. Hell, I like them all. But, there isn't a star in the bunch, right now. I think Taylor needs to play, as he did against Notre Dame. I think he should start.
Yea, I don't think there is a much of the bench that is ready to provide major contributions but Bell and Benny were damn near a zero combined on Saturday (and other games). I know Jim wants Bell on the floor as another shooter but he can't create his own shot, lapses on defense and he's completely allergic to rebounding. I think he starts to lose a lot of minutes, including starter minutes very soon.

I think he needs to play them all. None of them have done anything to deserve time except maybe Taylor. I'd probably go Taylor and Benny to start but be ready with everyone else to find a hot hand or at least a warm one. Benny starts until someone plays better and unfortunately that hasn't happened. I'd rather see Brown get PT than Ajak. I know we love JBA but he's not the answer. Bell needs to continue to get run also. He looks really good shooting the mid range and foul line jumper. He'll keep getting better shooting, got to do something else too. I want to see Quadir also. He gives us a different look with another ball handler distributor on the floor. Other than Joe, Judah and Jesse I'd say the minutes are wide open for someone, anyone to step up and take them.

It seems obvious that Bell is better suited to play guard than forward. Would like to see him get some time at SG to spell Joe. His length and quickness would also help the defense at the top of the zone. Taylor should be starting at one of the forward spots.

It is a travesty of roster management that we entered the season with completely unproven commodities at forward.

I think that given what we've seen in the first 1/4 of the season, Bell / Benny should cede minutes to Taylor / Brown. I'd prefer to see Brown get a crack over Ajak.

But let minutes distribution be a game-by-game decision -- if Benny brings it any given game, he gets the bulk of the minutes. If Bell hits a couple of shots, give him extended PT to ride the hot hand. But I believe the pattern we've begun to see from JB is that both of the starters are now on extremely short leashes, and if he doesn't like what he sees, he's not afraid to pull them.

It seems obvious that Bell is better suited to play guard than forward. Would like to see him get some time at SG to spell Joe. His length and quickness would also help the defense at the top of the zone. Taylor should be starting at one of the forward spots.
Can he dribble more than twice? This is where I think the argument about him or Taylor at the two falls flat. Justin appears to actually have a decent handle combined with nice form on his shot. I know he’s the bigger guy, but I’d rather see him rebounding from the guard spot. Long rebounds and all. We saw what bell does in that instance this weekend. Shies away.

So Brown goes completely missing and nobody can ask why? I think he has the most potential of all our forwards. Must be something going on.
I just don’t understand why our media either doesn’t know or doesn’t report these matters.

So Brown goes completely missing and nobody can ask why? I think he has the most potential of all our forwards. Must be something going on.
I just don’t understand why our media either doesn’t know or doesn’t report these matters.
I remember when defense was most important, JB definitely would have given Brown more run.

Last edited:
Can he dribble more than twice? This is where I think the argument about him or Taylor at the two falls flat. Justin appears to actually have a decent handle combined with nice form on his shot. I know he’s the bigger guy, but I’d rather see him rebounding from the guard spot. Long rebounds and all. We saw what bell does in that instance this weekend. Shies away.

No. Not effectively at least.

Couple that with his rebounding prowess and I can't believe he's a starter.

He is a streaky jump shooter, at best, right now.

I think he can be good down the line, but a forward that actively seems to hate rebounding and isn't a knock down shooter and not exactly Kawhi on defense... I'm not sure how much runway he should get.

Before the season started, I thought Bell would be the most likely to transfer after this season. Unfortunately I think the dominoes are falling in such a way that he'll be tempted to leave. He needs work but I think he could be really good for us.

I think JAB gets his minutes despite his limitations because he does EXACTLY what JB tells him to do. He looked for Jessie every time against ND and got 4 or 5 assists and closed out nicely in the last two seconds. He’s easy to like but it’d be nice to have someone else who could do that and score as well.

I think he needs to play them all. None of them have done anything to deserve time except maybe Taylor. I'd probably go Taylor and Benny to start but be ready with everyone else to find a hot hand or at least a warm one. Benny starts until someone plays better and unfortunately that hasn't happened. I'd rather see Brown get PT than Ajak. I know we love JBA but he's not the answer. Bell needs to continue to get run also. He looks really good shooting the mid range and foul line jumper. He'll keep getting better shooting, got to do something else too. I want to see Quadir also. He gives us a different look with another ball handler distributor on the floor. Other than Joe, Judah and Jesse I'd say the minutes are wide open for someone, anyone to step up and take them.
Hima.

Before the season started, I thought Bell would be the most likely to transfer after this season. Unfortunately I think the dominoes are falling in such a way that he'll be tempted to leave. He needs work but I think he could be really good for us.
What dominoes? The guy has played way more than he has deserved so far. He’s the one that’s been given the biggest opportunity because of his shooting despite clear deficiencies. Why would he be tempted to leave?

What dominoes? The guy has played way more than he has deserved so far. He’s the one that’s been given the biggest opportunity because of his shooting despite clear deficiencies. Why would he be tempted to leave?
I don't understand this talk either. The guy has 8 rebounds in 8 games. He has nothing to complain about. He has a nice looking shot. That is it. He can't handle the ball. And he isn't good on defense. I can't think of another time as a Syracuse grad and fan, that he would be playing this much.

I hear what some are saying, but lumping Benny in with Bell is stupid. Yeah, Benny isn't where we hoped he would be at this stage of his young career, but he is vastly more effective and versatile than Bell. I don't mean to disparage Bell in any way, and obviously hope the best for him, but he's incredibly limited at this juncture. Benny has shown promise.

We have no idea if he can dribble against college guards. It's the same consideration anytime we think about playing a 3 at the 2.

Simply because he's in JB's doghouse. Also he's likely to lose minutes as the season progresses. Prior to the season he struck me as the type of player who would end up in JB's doghouse, and it only took a few games for that to happen. He definitely has deficiencies, but I think he could be a good player in time. However, I could see him wanting to transfer instead of working his way out of the doghouse. We'll see how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom