Starting Lineup | Syracusefan.com

Starting Lineup

Orangtiz

Starter
Since the basketball team sucks and I actually follow our lacrosse program, lets discuss what we think the starting lineup will be:

Attack: Soloman, Evans, Forkin/Grass/Shewell/Voigt/Thorpe??? Whoever steps up.

Midfield: Mariano, Salcido, Lane/Bomberry

Defense: Mellen, Cunningham, Fusco/Dipietro/Chavez?

Since the basketball team sucks and I actually follow our lacrosse program, lets discuss what we think the starting lineup will be:

Attack: Soloman, Evans, Forkin/Grass/Shewell/Voigt/Thorpe??? Whoever steps up.

Midfield: Mariano, Salcido, Lane/Bomberry

Defense: Mellen, Cunningham, Fusco/Dipietro/Chavez?

Attack is the biggest question mark right now followed by close defense.

For Attack I have the following: Solomon, Evans, ?
It doesn't appear that Forkin made it back to Campus as he is not on the 2017 Roster. There is still time for him to make it but it appears unlikely at this point. To me this is the biggest concern right now on the team. Losing Donahue is a big loss and we still have no true feeder which diminishes the role a player like Rehfuss or Thorpe can play without someone to set them up. Assuming Forkin doesn't make it back Solomon will get the first crack to be the PG of the attack unit. Evans as a Sr. will certainly be a starter, Desko has a history of rewarding his upper classmen and after starting all year last year he is a lock to start barring an injury. I do expect that his leash will be short if he struggles mightily like he did at points last year. Really need to hope for a big Senior year jump from Jordan a la the last player to wear 22.

Shewell, Voight, and Grass would appear to be the logical third candidates at this point. Shewell has shown flashes but needs to stay healthy. Grass has a huge reputation but didn't show much in his one year at JHU. Former UA, he has a big shot to earn that third spot. The Roster lists Mariano as an attackmen but I don't see him being moved there unless the unit struggles mightily. The staff appears to be high on Clayton Burt but there's a lot of bodies ahead of him. Again if the unit struggles I could see him given a shot. I am a big fan of Thorpe, but without a feeder it's hard to see him getting big minutes. I would like to see Thorpe on the man up unit and rotating in. Wild Cards are Rehfuss and Voigt. Rehfuss put up monster high school numbers but left before playing a second at Holy Cross. Will be interesting to see what he brings to the table. I believe he is more of a finisher then an initiator but his game may have evolved. Voigt like Rehfuss put up monster highschool number and then did a prep year. He spent last year playing middie and saw sometime on the 3rd line. He surprisingly started in the fall ball games which I thought was very odd seeing he didn't real play attack last year. He's a good overall player but he would fair better as a third option in a more experienced attack unit. With a young Solomon and an up and down Evans not sure he projects well as that third man.

Middie - Salcido, Mariano, Lane/Trimboli/Bomberry
This unit projects very well on paper and on the field. Salcido and Mariano are/should be pre-season AA candidates and there are litteraly a dozen prospects for the third spot. The light really seemed to come on for Lane late in the year as he shined against Albany and after two bad man up shots against Maryland he adjusted and buried his third look with a better shot/angle. Information coming out of the fall was that he continued to take another step forward and was looking to seize that third spot. I think he has to be considered the favorite at this point to grab that last spot. I do like his familiarity having played the second mid line all of his last year and a good portion 2 years ago. If Desko rotates that third spot at all, Lane could really add a scoring threat on the second line, SU hasn't had in a while. The other candidate for that third spot would appear to be Trimboli - Under Armor AA from Victor who everyone is high on. I am very high on Trimboli, and expect him to make a impact his frosh year. Bomberry was a very pleasant late summer transfer and a huge coup for the team. A deft scorer from six nations he has experience out the wazoo. SU has struggled a bit to bring in Native players since the Thompsons and that whole situation so getting Bomberry was nice to see. He gives a Desko an immediate man up star and a guy who can play on either mid line. If Bomberry won the third spot you could see a second line of Lane and Trimboli which would be extremely talented.

2nd Mid line - Like the first line there appears to be only one spot up for grabs as the two of three between Lane, Bomberry, and Trimboli will bump down depending on whoever takes that last 1st mid line spot. Romano has been setback by injuries but was able to make an appearance in the fall. SU can easily run three lines like they have in the past but the competition for the second line should be fierce. Simmons and Westin have the most experience but both were underwhelming last year and that's putting it nicely. Desko likes to reward seniors so Westin may get the first shot but he's going to need to produce. The staff is high on several frosh middies including Peter Dearth and Devon Sullivan, Dearth has already blown his redshirt I believe so keep an eye out on him. The red-shirt sophomore middie class will have another chance to break out after all three of them failed to break out last year. - Carlin, Ford, and McKinney. Schwasnick was moved to SSDM last year where he exceled and will play big minutes and start on the faceoff wing. There a few redshirt sophs including Hutchings and O'sullivan who will also be in the mix.

SSDM- After a position of weakness the past few seasons, SSDM looks very strong this year. Seniors Joe Gillis and Paolo Cifferi will get the start with Cal Paduda and Luke Schwasnick seeing extended minutes. This position has strength, experience and depth. 3 of the 4 main cogs are seniors which while concerning for next season bodes well for this spring.

LSM - Scott Firman has excelled here the last few seasons and he will remain the starter unless he is bumped down to close defense. Austin Fusco played well as the backup as a r-frosh last year and could slide into the starter if Firman gets bumped down. There is impressive depth at LSM, SU is stocked for the foreseeable future at the position with RF Andrew Helmer and Soph Jonah Swigart one to watch.

Close D - Outside of attack this is the second biggest question mark on the team.
AA Nick Mellen will be the leader and being only a true Sophmore he has plenty of room to continue to grow. Who will join him at close D is still up in the air this point however. Marcus Cunningham would appear to be a pretty sure bet to be a starter after seeing sometime last year and showing well in limited minutes. Third spot is up for grabs. Tyson Bomberry came in highly regarded but seemed to have some frosh struggles last year and saw little time. True Frosh Brett Kennedy seemed to make a nice impression in the fall but he sustained a knee injury in the alumni game and looks like a sure redshirt candidate. Laz Chavez will be in this third year in the program and should be able to make a strong case for PT on the man down unit at least. The staff is said to be very high on Jonah Swigart who could be a candidate to bump down if the staff leaves Firman at LSM. Lastly True Frosh Nick Dipetro is highly regarded and a USA today AA. He seems primed to make an impact.

Goalie - Until further notice this appears to Evan Molloy's job. After taking over midway through the season Molloy played extremely well outside of the Maryland game. The biggest challenge is likely to come from Ohio State transfer William Klan, former UA who played in the U-19 WC this summer. Klan was a surprise transfer this summer and will no doubt be looking to grab the starting position. Strang and Porter seem like locks to red-shirt at this point barring multiple injuries or defections.

It doesn't appear that Forkin made it back to Campus as he is not on the 2017 Roster. There is still time for him to make it but it appears unlikely at this point.

The "2017 Roster" hasn't been updated since Fall Ball ended in October.

I assume SU will get around to it sometime after Media Day.

The "2017 Roster" hasn't been updated since Fall Ball ended in October.

I assume SU will get around to it sometime after Media Day.

LOL, that sounds about right. They still haven't even announced the date of media day which has to be approaching shortly. I assume next week. They don't do a very good job at all. Hopefully the PS/Syracuse.com will start pressing for some info soon.

LOL, that sounds about right. They still haven't even announced the date of media day which has to be approaching shortly. I assume next week. They don't do a very good job at all. Hopefully the PS/Syracuse.com will start pressing for some info soon.

Does the PS even have a LAX beat writer anymore?

I'd only expect coverage from the DO.

Does the PS even have a LAX beat writer anymore?

I'd only expect coverage from the DO.

I think they had somebody covering last year, I think I remember them having some decent coverage despite our skepticism. The DO always does a good job as does Inside Lacrosse, so there should be no shortage of places to get info. Would just be nice if SU actually announced stuff in advance instead of the day or night before. It always feels like your playing a guessing game with them.

Thanks for the insight, yeah I'm worried about attack and I think you could almost see a rotation of 4 guys. Anyone know if Bomberry could play attack?

Thanks for the insight, yeah I'm worried about attack and I think you could almost see a rotation of 4 guys. Anyone know if Bomberry could play attack?

You will definitely see a rotation at attack. Evans unfortunately will likely struggle again and Desko has so many pieces that he can mix and match. Thorpe is a great finisher who could definitely see some situational PT.

Yes, Bomberry can play attack but if someone has to be moved it will be Mariano as he is a natural attackmen who converted to middie. Mariano could also split time depending on the development of the mid-field depth behind him.

Forking posted on instagram that he would be back next week

Assuming he makes it back that changes everything. Mariano definitely will stay at middie and Evans starting spot maybe on death watch. Forkin will be that feeder attackmen which opens up a spot for Thorpe/Rehfuss/Shewell. Could see a line up of Solomon, Forkin, Evans or Solomon Forkins Shewell or Forkin, Thorpe, Solomon etc.

Attack - Evans, Solomon, Shewell: Need someone to step up and be a QB this year, unfortunately Donahue was burdened with this roll last year and it took away his best skills. Shewell has seemed to be the most productive in his limited time, so I'll give him the edge over the other younger players. Also can stretch a defense with a powerful outside shot. Really curious to see where Forkin ends up, but he faces uphill climb after missing a year and a half.

1st Midfield - Mariano, Salcido, Bomberry: The question is Bomberry or Lane here? Bomberry didn't play a lot in the fall, so it's hard to gauge where the coaches think he'll best fit in. Both are good outside shooters so they would be able to fill in for DeJoe pretty easily. This unit shouldn't miss a beat.

2nd Midfield - Lane, Simmons, Weston: Lane and/or Bomberry are the mainstay here but the other two spots are wide open. Can't have another season with Weston/Simmons putting up the same stats. Hopefully they break out in their senior year, but I wonder how short the leash is. Trimboli looks like a good player but still only a frosh. I think the other freshmen Jeremy spoke of are being groomed for defensive rolls. Hopefully someone steps up here because the guys right behind the seniors (Carlin and McKinney haven't shown much (Ford looks like he is playing attack now).

F/O - Williams: No doubt starter from day one, but hoping Desko gives him more breaks during games. Got the feeling the coaches were trying to pad stats and make a case for all american. He needs to stay fresh and healthy as the year goes along. Also, since he is a senior the team needs to develop someone for the future.

SSDM - Ciferri, Gillis: solid but not spectacular. Lots of experience but still don't feel entirely confident in this unit. Physically they don't match up well with some of the bigger stronger athletes out there. Some of the younger guys show promise in Schwasnick and Dearth and Paduda has been a pleasant surprise.

LSM - Fusco: With Firman getting moved down to close, Fusco shouldn't miss a beat. Some very large guys like Jonah Swigert waiting in the wings.

Close D: Firman, Mellen and Cunningham: Moving Firman down is a smart choice given the depth of the LSM position. Cunningham didn't come in with much fanfare but based on fall ball looks to be right in the mix. He was first off the bench for Mellen when he was hurt last year.

Goalie: Molloy: Gave the team a shot in the arm last year and helped stabilize the defense. Had some poor moments as well but I feel confident in him as a starter. Madonna looks to be the main backup, playing most of fall ball for Molloy when he was out hurt in Philly. But it looks like this unit will have depth with Klan coming in highly touted.

Attack - Evans, Solomon, Shewell: Need someone to step up and be a QB this year, unfortunately Donahue was burdened with this roll last year and it took away his best skills. Shewell has seemed to be the most productive in his limited time, so I'll give him the edge over the other younger players. Also can stretch a defense with a powerful outside shot. Really curious to see where Forkin ends up, but he faces uphill climb after missing a year and a half.

1st Midfield - Mariano, Salcido, Bomberry: The question is Bomberry or Lane here? Bomberry didn't play a lot in the fall, so it's hard to gauge where the coaches think he'll best fit in. Both are good outside shooters so they would be able to fill in for DeJoe pretty easily. This unit shouldn't miss a beat.

2nd Midfield - Lane, Simmons, Weston: Lane and/or Bomberry are the mainstay here but the other two spots are wide open. Can't have another season with Weston/Simmons putting up the same stats. Hopefully they break out in their senior year, but I wonder how short the leash is. Trimboli looks like a good player but still only a frosh. I think the other freshmen Jeremy spoke of are being groomed for defensive rolls. Hopefully someone steps up here because the guys right behind the seniors (Carlin and McKinney haven't shown much (Ford looks like he is playing attack now).

F/O - Williams: No doubt starter from day one, but hoping Desko gives him more breaks during games. Got the feeling the coaches were trying to pad stats and make a case for all american. He needs to stay fresh and healthy as the year goes along. Also, since he is a senior the team needs to develop someone for the future.

SSDM - Ciferri, Gillis: solid but not spectacular. Lots of experience but still don't feel entirely confident in this unit. Physically they don't match up well with some of the bigger stronger athletes out there. Some of the younger guys show promise in Schwasnick and Dearth and Paduda has been a pleasant surprise.

LSM - Fusco: With Firman getting moved down to close, Fusco shouldn't miss a beat. Some very large guys like Jonah Swigert waiting in the wings.

Close D: Firman, Mellen and Cunningham: Moving Firman down is a smart choice given the depth of the LSM position. Cunningham didn't come in with much fanfare but based on fall ball looks to be right in the mix. He was first off the bench for Mellen when he was hurt last year.

Goalie: Molloy: Gave the team a shot in the arm last year and helped stabilize the defense. Had some poor moments as well but I feel confident in him as a starter. Madonna looks to be the main backup, playing most of fall ball for Molloy when he was out hurt in Philly. But it looks like this unit will have depth with Klan coming in highly touted.

Good post, a few thoughts.

Forkin played Juco last year and put up good numbers, he knows the system as well. I don't expect much of a learning curve in fact I wouldn't be shocked if he cracked the starting lineup.

At middie I think Weston and Simmon's days are numbered. Staff is very high on Trimboli (played second line in the fall) and I believe Dearth is being cross-trained at D middie but still an option at O middie as well. Also the Grad Transfer form Lafayette Orazietti could be an option for the second line as well. I also wouldn't be surprised if Ford is moved back to midfield especially if Forkin makes it back.

I' am more bullish on the D mids, Schwasnick really came on strong last year and I thought Paduda more then held his own as well. I think that could really be a position of strength this year.

Attack is the biggest question mark right now followed by close defense.

For Attack I have the following: Solomon, Evans, ?
It doesn't appear that Forkin made it back to Campus as he is not on the 2017 Roster. There is still time for him to make it but it appears unlikely at this point. To me this is the biggest concern right now on the team. Losing Donahue is a big loss and we still have no true feeder which diminishes the role a player like Rehfuss or Thorpe can play without someone to set them up. Assuming Forkin doesn't make it back Solomon will get the first crack to be the PG of the attack unit. Evans as a Sr. will certainly be a starter, Desko has a history of rewarding his upper classmen and after starting all year last year he is a lock to start barring an injury. I do expect that his leash will be short if he struggles mightily like he did at points last year. Really need to hope for a big Senior year jump from Jordan a la the last player to wear 22.

Shewell, Voight, and Grass would appear to be the logical third candidates at this point. Shewell has shown flashes but needs to stay healthy. Grass has a huge reputation but didn't show much in his one year at JHU. Former UA, he has a big shot to earn that third spot. The Roster lists Mariano as an attackmen but I don't see him being moved there unless the unit struggles mightily. The staff appears to be high on Clayton Burt but there's a lot of bodies ahead of him. Again if the unit struggles I could see him given a shot. I am a big fan of Thorpe, but without a feeder it's hard to see him getting big minutes. I would like to see Thorpe on the man up unit and rotating in. Wild Cards are Rehfuss and Voigt. Rehfuss put up monster high school numbers but left before playing a second at Holy Cross. Will be interesting to see what he brings to the table. I believe he is more of a finisher then an initiator but his game may have evolved. Voigt like Rehfuss put up monster highschool number and then did a prep year. He spent last year playing middie and saw sometime on the 3rd line. He surprisingly started in the fall ball games which I thought was very odd seeing he didn't real play attack last year. He's a good overall player but he would fair better as a third option in a more experienced attack unit. With a young Solomon and an up and down Evans not sure he projects well as that third man.

Middie - Salcido, Mariano, Lane/Trimboli/Bomberry
This unit projects very well on paper and on the field. Salcido and Mariano are/should be pre-season AA candidates and there are litteraly a dozen prospects for the third spot. The light really seemed to come on for Lane late in the year as he shined against Albany and after two bad man up shots against Maryland he adjusted and buried his third look with a better shot/angle. Information coming out of the fall was that he continued to take another step forward and was looking to seize that third spot. I think he has to be considered the favorite at this point to grab that last spot. I do like his familiarity having played the second mid line all of his last year and a good portion 2 years ago. If Desko rotates that third spot at all, Lane could really add a scoring threat on the second line, SU hasn't had in a while. The other candidate for that third spot would appear to be Trimboli - Under Armor AA from Victor who everyone is high on. I am very high on Trimboli, and expect him to make a impact his frosh year. Bomberry was a very pleasant late summer transfer and a huge coup for the team. A deft scorer from six nations he has experience out the wazoo. SU has struggled a bit to bring in Native players since the Thompsons and that whole situation so getting Bomberry was nice to see. He gives a Desko an immediate man up star and a guy who can play on either mid line. If Bomberry won the third spot you could see a second line of Lane and Trimboli which would be extremely talented.

2nd Mid line - Like the first line there appears to be only one spot up for grabs as the two of three between Lane, Bomberry, and Trimboli will bump down depending on whoever takes that last 1st mid line spot. Romano has been setback by injuries but was able to make an appearance in the fall. SU can easily run three lines like they have in the past but the competition for the second line should be fierce. Simmons and Westin have the most experience but both were underwhelming last year and that's putting it nicely. Desko likes to reward seniors so Westin may get the first shot but he's going to need to produce. The staff is high on several frosh middies including Peter Dearth and Devon Sullivan, Dearth has already blown his redshirt I believe so keep an eye out on him. The red-shirt sophomore middie class will have another chance to break out after all three of them failed to break out last year. - Carlin, Ford, and McKinney. Schwasnick was moved to SSDM last year where he exceled and will play big minutes and start on the faceoff wing. There a few redshirt sophs including Hutchings and O'sullivan who will also be in the mix.

SSDM- After a position of weakness the past few seasons, SSDM looks very strong this year. Seniors Joe Gillis and Paolo Cifferi will get the start with Cal Paduda and Luke Schwasnick seeing extended minutes. This position has strength, experience and depth. 3 of the 4 main cogs are seniors which while concerning for next season bodes well for this spring.

LSM - Scott Firman has excelled here the last few seasons and he will remain the starter unless he is bumped down to close defense. Austin Fusco played well as the backup as a r-frosh last year and could slide into the starter if Firman gets bumped down. There is impressive depth at LSM, SU is stocked for the foreseeable future at the position with RF Andrew Helmer and Soph Jonah Swigart one to watch.

Close D - Outside of attack this is the second biggest question mark on the team.
AA Nick Mellen will be the leader and being only a true Sophmore he has plenty of room to continue to grow. Who will join him at close D is still up in the air this point however. Marcus Cunningham would appear to be a pretty sure bet to be a starter after seeing sometime last year and showing well in limited minutes. Third spot is up for grabs. Tyson Bomberry came in highly regarded but seemed to have some frosh struggles last year and saw little time. True Frosh Brett Kennedy seemed to make a nice impression in the fall but he sustained a knee injury in the alumni game and looks like a sure redshirt candidate. Laz Chavez will be in this third year in the program and should be able to make a strong case for PT on the man down unit at least. The staff is said to be very high on Jonah Swigart who could be a candidate to bump down if the staff leaves Firman at LSM. Lastly True Frosh Nick Dipetro is highly regarded and a USA today AA. He seems primed to make an impact.

Goalie - Until further notice this appears to Evan Molloy's job. After taking over midway through the season Molloy played extremely well outside of the Maryland game. The biggest challenge is likely to come from Ohio State transfer William Klan, former UA who played in the U-19 WC this summer. Klan was a surprise transfer this summer and will no doubt be looking to grab the starting position. Strang and Porter seem like locks to red-shirt at this point barring multiple injuries or defections.
Thanks, Jeremy. Great write-up. Just to piggyback on this and several other posts in this thread, as OX said, the new roster may not be up yet, but one positive thing about Forkin is that he does appear in the SU student directory.

Thanks, Jeremy. Great write-up. Just to piggyback on this and several other posts in this thread, as OX said, the new roster may not be up yet, but one positive thing about Forkin is that he does appear in the SU student directory.

He was in the directory last fall.

He was in the directory last fall.
Just sayin' :)

I was just responding to Jeremy's saying "It doesn't appear that Forkin made it back to Campus". He may or may not make it back on the team, but he is in school. We've seen how quickly they remove people from teh directory who leave. :noidea:

Sounds like he's back based on that information and the earlier post about his instagram. Pretty big late pickup. He has two prior years in the program and can play that X attackmen role we so desperately need.

Sounds like he's back based on that information and the earlier post about his instagram. Pretty big late pickup. He has two prior years in the program and can play that X attackmen role we so desperately need.
So you think forkin maybe not immediately, but eventually steps into that "feeding" starting attack spot?

So you think forkin maybe not immediately, but eventually steps into that "feeding" starting attack spot?

I do yes, he was basically the under study to Rice his two years here and he was the first attackmen off the bench his R-frosh year. I think he has the ability, skill level, and knowledge of the system to make an immediate impact. I don't think that he is an elite feeder like a Rice or a Stanwick but he would be the best option for this team and an experienced high end attackmen that this team really needs.

We have only seen glimpses of both Solomon and Forkin, but my worry about having all three of them matched up with Evans is that the unit would be very dodge heavy. Jeremy, I think both you and I have very different memories of Forkin playing attack. In my mind he was a bull in the china shop, do anything you can to get to the goal and score. I didn't see much passing from him, but he did see most of his time in mop up duty. Solomon also didn't look to me to be a pass first attackman. Evans hasn't developed into an elite passer.

I'm rooting for Forkin (all of the guys of course), but I think it's important to have a diverse set of skills on the field at one time. Maybe he unseats Solomon or Evans, but I don't think I see those three starting on attack together. I was really excited about him before last season and thought he would slide right into a starting role. Maybe he regains that momentum.

We have only seen glimpses of both Solomon and Forkin, but my worry about having all three of them matched up with Evans is that the unit would be very dodge heavy. Jeremy, I think both you and I have very different memories of Forkin playing attack. In my mind he was a bull in the china shop, do anything you can to get to the goal and score. I didn't see much passing from him, but he did see most of his time in mop up duty. Solomon also didn't look to me to be a pass first attackman. Evans hasn't developed into an elite passer.

I'm rooting for Forkin (all of the guys of course), but I think it's important to have a diverse set of skills on the field at one time. Maybe he unseats Solomon or Evans, but I don't think I see those three starting on attack together. I was really excited about him before last season and thought he would slide right into a starting role. Maybe he regains that momentum.

Like you my memory of Forkin is a bit hazy (understandable based on the fact its been nearly two years and he wasn't playing a lot ), but I believe he was at least being groomed to play that feeder type roll prior to his departure. Again not saying he's the second coming of Kevin Rice but I believe he put up good assist numbers last year (can't find them anywhere now of course, Nassau CC has the worst website ever) and has the ability to play that feeder type role. He was known from his highschool days as being a good passer as well and was mentioned in the article last year when he transferred to Nassau.

Regarding the lineup of him, Solomon, and Evans, is that Evans is essentially an off ball attackmen at this point. He rarely dodges from up top or the alleys and his only real success the past few years has been the occasional move/initiation from X. As an off ball player Evans could have some success with Solomon and Forkin dodging and initiating from different spots on the field. A player like Shewell or Thorpe could be a beneficiary as well as Shewell can shoot from outside and Thorpe is probably the best finisher on the team. Desko would be wise to rotate at attack to find some combinations that work.

juco website has forkin with 34 G, 28 A in 12 games

has anyone mentioned the idea of having bomberry at attack if it goes south and keeping Mariano at mid? To keep the mid line really good.

juco website has forkin with 34 G, 28 A in 12 games

Nice number of assists there. Again I think it bodes well for him taking over the Feeder Attack spot.

has anyone mentioned the idea of having bomberry at attack if it goes south and keeping Mariano at mid? To keep the mid line really good.

Yes, but if it got to that point the team would likely just move Mariano who is a natural attackmen and has been practicing there since he came to Syracuse along with transitioning to middie.