Starting this season, football players can play in up to four games without losing a season of competition | Syracusefan.com

Starting this season, football players can play in up to four games without losing a season of competition

Do you have everyone play in September, then shut down the kids that aren't ready to contribute...

or save kids until the end of the year and use them as injury replacements (like MLB does with September call-ups).

who does it help more, the teams like SU that have depth issues all over and the kids that are RS, offer some help but only at a few spots or teams like clemson where the RS probably starts for the SU type teams as a FR and they probably only have a spot or 2 where depth ever becomes an issue any single year.

Love to get Dino'stake on this. Certainly keeps the RS kids engaged.

Calling the shot on this unintended consequence - between this and the transfer thing, you will see more transfers in football.

I suspect you don't see many transfers in football because there's no college level film on developmental players. Why lock up a roster spot on a kid that you haven't seen perform recently.

Now, those kids will have some film for other coaches to assess.

Calling the shot on this unintended consequence - between this and the transfer thing, you will see more transfers in football.

I suspect you don't see many transfers in football because there's no college level film on developmental players. Why lock up a roster spot on a kid that you haven't seen perform recently.

So let's say a kid plays in 4 games his freshman year and the coach then informs him after the season he is going to redshirt him

The kid disagrees

He wants to transfer and the coach can't block him

He still has to sit a year. So either way - he's sitting for a season.

Why go through the headache of transferring?

So let's say a kid plays in 4 games his freshman year and the coach then informs him after the season he is going to redshirt him

The kid disagrees

He wants to transfer and the coach can't block him

He still has to sit a year. So either way - he's sitting for a season.

Why go through the headache of transferring?
Because he doesn't want to be there/believes he can go some place better.

Because he doesn't want to be there/believes he can go some place better.

Then that's the same situation we were in before this rule change. Also - a coach isn't required to play redshirt candidates, so a kid who wants to transfer may have some live game film, none, or somewhere in between. He's still going to sit a year. I can't imagine there will be a big upswing in transfers unless the next pillar falls that says they won't have to sit.

Then that's the same situation we were in before this rule change. Also - a coach isn't required to play redshirt candidates, so a kid who wants to transfer may have some live game film, none, or somewhere in between. He's still going to sit a year. I can't imagine there will be a big upswing in transfers unless the next pillar falls that says they won't have to sit.
It's not the same situation. The player will have more options because they are a better known quantity at the college level.

The increase in options is going to matter.

It's not the same situation. The player will have more options because they are a better known quantity at the college level.

The increase in options is going to matter.

I'm saying it's the same situation if the kid doesn't play. If he plays 4 games he'll have some legit tape but it all depends on how much PT he got and the level of competition.

I agree with you though - we're on the way to full blown free agency

On the flip side, getting *any* playing time might mitigate a transfer for a young player.

Would have Dino played Devito last year if this rule was in place last year? Was he ahead of Mahoney on the depth chart when Dungey went down? Curious how that would have played out last year with our bowl hopes in the balance. If he plays 4 to finish a season can he practice for the bowl and then not play a bowl?

Would have Dino played Devito last year if this rule was in place last year? Was he ahead of Mahoney on the depth chart when Dungey went down? Curious how that would have played out last year with our bowl hopes in the balance. If he plays 4 to finish a season can he practice for the bowl and then not play a bowl?

Can only play in up to 4 games.

I think had this rule been in place we would have asbolutely seen Devito.

Asbolutely.

I think had this rule been in place we would have asbolutely seen Devito.

Asbolutely.

Definitely agree we would have seen Devito. Love that you can at least take a look at some kids without blowing an entire year. It will be interesting to see the impact on the number of transfers as has already been discussed in the thread.

I agree there will be an uptick in transfers, but not so much because there'll be college film of players. There will be more transfers because more guys will recoup a redshirt year. Think about all the players Syracuse has burned redshirts on who, looking back, only played in a few games, or had a little run on special teams? Guys who used to have a year burned early in a season doing scrub work will now get that as a redshirt year. That means more redshirts, and more redshirts mean more graduate transfers, as guys will have put in their 4 years and graduate with a year of eligibility.

I agree there will be an uptick in transfers, but not so much because there'll be college film of players. There will be more transfers because more guys will recoup a redshirt year. Think about all the players Syracuse has burned redshirts on who, looking back, only played in a few games, or had a little run on special teams? Guys who used to have a year burned early in a season doing scrub work will now get that as a redshirt year. That means more redshirts, and more redshirts mean more graduate transfers, as guys will have put in their 4 years and graduate with a year of eligibility.
Good call, that also all matters.

I wonder who gets to be a 4 game RS?
I'm guessing we'll see more on special teams. Will be a good indicator of who the staff thinks will be contributers, the following year.