Statement from the ACC on Transfers... | Syracusefan.com

Statement from the ACC on Transfers...

Chris Bleich questions INCOMING
Does Florida support his waiver request? Mullen made a public comment that would indicate they do. But we remember that Richt supported the Gus Edwards transfer, but the Miami AD shot it down anyway.

Does Florida support his waiver request? Mullen made a public comment that would indicate they do. But we remember that Richt supported the Gus Edwards transfer, but the Miami AD shot it down anyway.
Miami only opposed Gus Edwards transfer to Syracuse because it was the season Syracuse and Miami were playing each other in conference play.
If we weren’t on their schedule he would have played at SU.

Miami only opposed Gus Edwards transfer to Syracuse because it was the season Syracuse and Miami were playing each other in conference play.
If we weren’t on their schedule he would have played at SU.

It's the moment that confirmed we have the worst timing in everything.

I mean, I already knew it, but why not one more kick to the groin.

There aren't enough suction cups in the galaxy...

We don’t have enough advantages in place to help the factory schools. I really hope this rule helps us finally get a CFB playoff that contains factory schools like OSU, Clemson and Alabama. It’s been too long.

Yes

I’m not against it but the year off definitely helped guys earn degrees and probably playing time considering most weren’t good enough for the original school and could have used the redshirt.

I’d assume less guys are going to bail early or midseason without the mandatory year off which is good. But I also think dudes will want to wait as late as possible to see what rosters look like. Wonder when the deadline will be to transfer and play the next year.

I’m not against it but the year off definitely helped guys earn degrees and probably playing time considering most weren’t good enough for the original school and could have used the redshirt.

I’d assume less guys are going to bail early or midseason without the mandatory year off which is good. But I also think dudes will want to wait as late as possible to see what rosters look like. Wonder when the deadline will be to transfer and play the next year.
They can't transfer unless they are in good academic standing. The thought that as seasoned and proven students they need a year off academically is absurd. If they were truly worried about academics, then a mandatory red-shirt rule across all sports would be in play. The rule was all about controlling the student athlete in the money sports, which happen to be dominated by (generally) less well off, African American men.

Could this turn into a scenario where the football blue-bloods start poaching top talent from the rest of the P5 (& other leagues)? Obviously they couldn't do this out in the open but if you are a good bagman ($$$), you know how to be discrete.

No conference can come out and not support it. That would be a PR nightmare.

The B1G has opened Pandora’s Box. I hope it ends up helping the athletes more than hurts them.
I think it’ll help... the one time is key.

It’s such a big decision, and there are factors that matter where a kid might have to move on to a school that fits him/her better.

The athletes who are just looking to transfer constantly, although this may help them on the front end, they are who they are going to be.

One bad apple spoils it for the group and all that.

I think it makes sense overall.

Could this turn into a scenario where the football blue-bloods start poaching top talent from the rest of the P5 (& other leagues)? Obviously they couldn't do this out in the open but if you are a good bagman ($$$), you know how to be discrete.
I think this could help us. The blue bloods collect 5 stars and 4 stars. When some of these kids go for a year or two and realize they'll be buried on the depth chart, we can swoop in for transfers.

This is one of my fears. I am happy for the players. I agree that there should be allowed to transfer without sitting out a year, provided they are in good academic standing.

My concerns are

1) this rule will end up helping the haves and hurting the have nots. While we would all hope that recruiting from the rosters of other programs will not happen, everything we have seen to date in college athletics indicates some programs will do this.

Anything that might colleges sports less competitive is, in my judgement, bad for the sport. The have nots have been able to field competitive teams by emphasizing player development, great coaching and using experience to offset better talent. If The Kentuckys of the world can cherry pick the cream of the crop from the mid majors (and lower end P5s), how can we hope to see mid majors emerge as legitimate Four Four contenders? Will schools like Boise State, UCF and Iowa State have any chance to occasionally have top 10 teams?

The change will inevitably lead to much more turnover in college athletics. This has already been a problem, especially in basketball, where so many stars are gone almost as soon as they arrive on the college scene. How do fans get attached to star players when few of them stay around, and the ones that do mostly end up transferring to a better school? What will the long term effect be on attendance and TV ratings if the games get less competitive and no ones knows who is playing any longer?

I like rooting for the underdog. I like a school that, for the most part, is an underdog in most sports. While this is probably going to be good for the athletes, I am pretty sure I am not going to like this.

This rule will benefit the players and the blue bloods.
As long as teams aren’t actively tampering it shouldn’t be bad but teams will tamper back channel.

Whenever a blue blood loses a QB they will scout college football incumbents for possible replacements If they are nervous about their backups.

This rule won’t affect us in football. Our biggest problem has been getting elite athletes.
It will help for basketball.
Go and find mid major bigs who want to play in the Dome and the ACC.

Absolutely. Just the kids at the bluebloods who don’t play and get recruited over no longer have to sit a year which helps everyone else.

But in hoops any kid who puts up 15 a game in a lesser league as a freshman is gonna be playing somewhere else almost certainly as a sophomore now.

This rule will benefit the players and the blue bloods.
As long as teams aren’t actively tampering it shouldn’t be bad but teams will tamper back channel.

Whenever a blue blood loses a QB they will scout college football incumbents for possible replacements If they are nervous about their backups.

This rule won’t affect us in football. Our biggest problem has been getting elite athletes.
It will help for basketball.
Go and find mid major bigs who want to play in the Dome and the ACC.

Hope you're right but I fear losing players like Alton Robinson to the blue bloods in football.

Hope you're right but I fear losing players like Alton Robinson to the blue bloods in football.
Why would Robinson go to a factory that recruits 4 and 5 Star DL every year.

Robinson type players wouldn’t be targets for Alabama/Ohio State/USC type schools.

Players like Jordan Love at QB would become the players poached by Harbaugh/Michigan.
Like LSU needs a QB to replace Burrow next year they would look around college football and find a good starting QB at another school and poach them.

Alton Robinson types will want to be at P5 schools with a shot to move up draft boards.
A player like Andre Smyzt could get poached by Alabama.

Does anyone know what surgery Bleich had and the outcome?

Is he going to be available in Spring Practuce?

Why would Robinson go to a factory that recruits 4 and 5 Star DL every year.

Robinson type players wouldn’t be targets for Alabama/Ohio State/USC type schools.

Players like Jordan Love at QB would become the players poached by Harbaugh/Michigan.
Like LSU needs a QB to replace Burrow next year they would look around college football and find a good starting QB at another school and poach them.

Alton Robinson types will want to be at P5 schools with a shot to move up draft boards.
A player like Andre Smyzt could get poached by Alabama.

Hope you're right, but I could easily see our better football players being attractive to some of the stronger programs after they show what they can do here and the allure of playing there quite attractive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom