Stay the course | Syracusefan.com

Stay the course

Crusty

Living Legend
While the only long-term metric fans care about is winning, there are (or ought to be) other important factors in evaluating the success of a head coach's tenure. Among these are running a clean program, graduating players, developing high caliber citizens and simply making us proud of the program.

Of course, winning means different things to different fans. For me, the realistic goal is to be good every year and fairly consistent Top 25 with the occasional Top 10. Coming from the depths of the GRob Era has been a huge challenge, especially during the conference realignment, which bumped us to a higher level of competition and HCDM leaving. Is it any wonder that is taking so long to climb up the ladder?

IMO had Marrone stayed we would have been further along notwithstanding inevitable ups and downs. He would be a God to Orange Fans and would be making great money for a very long time.That said, we have the right guy in Dino Babers.

He is a good CEO who has proven capable of making tough decisions. He has fired important coordinators and assistants, changed offensive and defensive schemes and brought in transfers to add depth and competition. He wants to be here and he will succeed.

For those clamoring for a change, remember that changing head coaches is a dangerous activity - risking going from the frying pan into the fire.

Other than Luke Fickell, who I don't think we ever had a chance to get, we got the best of the bunch. Luke was born and raised in Columbus, Ohio, played at OSU. Played a season for the NO Saints. Spent one season as GA at OSU. Two years as DL coach at Akron then 14-years in various coaching positions at OSU. He was not leaving Ohio for Upstate NY.

Back in 2015 our last HC search had the following candidates:

• Babers I think we were locked in on Dino after negotiations with Frost fell apart.
  • Scott Frost OC Oregon. Became UCF HC left to become HC at Nebraska. Rumored to be1st choice but wanted ability to leave if Nebraska called.
  • Chris Ashe, DC Ohio State. Became HC at Maryland and fired for mistreatment of players. IMO this is why FHC SS9left without a job opportunity.
  • Ed Ogeron publicly said he would accept job if offered.
  • Luke Fickell oc at OSU Became HC at Cincinnati. Don't think we ever had a chance to get this Midwestern guy.
  • Philip Montgomery still HC at Tulsa.
  • Mike Sanford oc Notre Dame Became HC Western Kentucky fired then oc at Utah State now OC Minnesota.
  • Jeff Brohm HC Western Kentucky left to become HC at Purdue.
  • Mark Hudspeth HC Louisiana Lafayette then AHC/TE Mississippi State then HC Austin Peay. Forced resignation for undisclosed reason. Now HS coach.
Babers has proven he can win in the ACC. He has given us a10-win season, been ranked and won a good bowl. He also gave us exciting wins over Virginia Tech and Clemson. He has beaten every team in the ACC except Miami.

He can't control injuries, the pandemic or the schedule.

Regardless of the 2021 record, we will continue our parh back to the Top 25.

Stay the course.

While the only long-term metric fans care about is winning, there are (or ought to be) other important factors in evaluating the success of a head coach's tenure. Among these are running a clean program, graduating players, developing high caliber citizens and simply making us proud of the program.

Of course, winning means different things to different fans. For me, the realistic goal is to be good every year and fairly consistent Top 25 with the occasional Top 10. Coming from the depths of the GRob Era has been a huge challenge, especially during the conference realignment, which bumped us to a higher level of competition and HCDM leaving. Is it any wonder that is taking so long to climb up the ladder?

IMO had Marrone stayed we would have been further along notwithstanding inevitable ups and downs. He would be a God to Orange Fans and would be making great money for a very long time.That said, we have the right guy in Dino Babers.

He is a good CEO who has proven capable of making tough decisions. He has fired important coordinators and assistants, changed offensive and defensive schemes and brought in transfers to add depth and competition. He wants to be here and he will succeed.

For those clamoring for a change, remember that changing head coaches is a dangerous activity - risking going from the frying pan into the fire.

Other than Luke Fickell, who I don't think we ever had a chance to get, we got the best of the bunch. Luke was born and raised in Columbus, Ohio, played at OSU. Played a season for the NO Saints. Spent one season as GA at OSU. Two years as DL coach at Akron then 14-years in various coaching positions at OSU. He was not leaving Ohio for Upstate NY.

Back in 2015 our last HC search had the following candidates:

• Babers I think we were locked in on Dino after negotiations with Frost fell apart.
  • Scott Frost OC Oregon. Became UCF HC left to become HC at Nebraska. Rumored to be1st choice but wanted ability to leave if Nebraska called.
  • Chris Ashe, DC Ohio State. Became HC at Maryland and fired for mistreatment of players. IMO this is why FHC SS9left without a job opportunity.
  • Ed Ogeron publicly said he would accept job if offered.
  • Luke Fickell oc at OSU Became HC at Cincinnati. Don't think we ever had a chance to get this Midwestern guy.
  • Philip Montgomery still HC at Tulsa.
  • Mike Sanford oc Notre Dame Became HC Western Kentucky fired then oc at Utah State now OC Minnesota.
  • Jeff Brohm HC Western Kentucky left to become HC at Purdue.
  • Mark Hudspeth HC Louisiana Lafayette then AHC/TE Mississippi State then HC Austin Peay. Forced resignation for undisclosed reason. Now HS coach.
Babers has proven he can win in the ACC. He has given us a10-win season, been ranked and won a good bowl. He also gave us exciting wins over Virginia Tech and Clemson. He has beaten every team in the ACC except Miami.

He can't control injuries, the pandemic or the schedule.

Regardless of the 2021 record, we will continue our parh back to the Top 25.

Stay the course.
You are mixing up Ash with DJ Durkin. Ash was literally as bad as GROB at Rutgers and Durkin is awful. I agree with the general premise of your post. As long as this year continues to look solid and doesn’t crumble.

when we were searching in 2015 the best candidates were Dino, Matt Campbell and Brohm, I don’t think Brohm or Campbell had any interest and yes, Frost supposedly asked Coyle for a short deal.

You are mixing up Ash with DJ Durkin. Ash was literally as bad as GROB at Rutgers and Durkin is awful. I agree with the general premise of your post. As long as this year continues to look solid and doesn’t crumble.

when we were searching in 2015 the best candidates were Dino, Matt Campbell and Brohm, I don’t think Brohm or Campbell had any interest and yes, Frost supposedly asked Coyle for a short deal.
I thought Campbell had his mind made up early. Everybody thought he was nuts but he has proven he was right, We were never in it.

I thought Campbell had his mind made up early. Everybody thought he was nuts but he has proven he was right, We were never in it.
Iowa St. played at Toledo in 2015 and they talked to Campbell about the job after the game. He never addressed the team when he took the job and kind of "left in the middle of the night". Left a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of fans. Never bothered me much. I just assume these coaches will be gone if they have any success at this level. Dino took some crap from the local news here also when he left BG after 2 years. I Never thought Campbell was that great of a coach, and was praying he didn't go to Syracuse. He far exceeded my expectations at ISU.

I’m not much on looking back, losers do that when you’re looking for a glimmer of hope. Sometimes people need the right fit. Frost was great at USF and is about to get fired at Nebraska. Dino had a 1 win season last year. If that continues I don’t care what his grad rate is, he will need to be replaced.

I like Dino Babers but the idea he has proven he can win in the ACC is a joke narrative.
We have only won more than 2 conference games one time in 5 years.
That isn’t proving you can win in the ACC.

He needs a bowl season this year. We looked good week 1 let’s win atleast 5 more games this year.

I'm not sure judging him vs the coaches we didn't hire and how they did is not going to create a massive sliding doors scenario anyway. To me it's irrelevant. Coyle made the hire and he's gone too so even if Dino is fired this year we have a new guy who will be looking for his specific type of HC to lead the program. And if it comes to it i hope they eschew the big names and look no further than the Holy Cross HC. He just keeps winning everywhere he goes.

As Alsacs says, Dino has created one bowl season. The record speaks for itself. The team needs to find a way to get back into a bowl this year otherwise he will be looking for another job.

I think the schedule is there for the taking. I'm not sure how many Syracuse seasons I can say that with regards to the OOC.

Stay the course within reason. He needs to string a couple seasons of 6 wins together in year 6-7, IMO. I think he is fine this year as long as they get to 5 minimum but you can't ignore the wins and losses much longer and I love Dino and want him to be here until he retires but you need 6 wins on a consistent basis. and IMO a 3-1 start at a minimum is an absolute must to getting 6 wins.

Consistently mediocre is kind of the what we need from him now. 5-7 wins. He can't build off of losing anymore.

I’m not much on looking back, losers do that when you’re looking for a glimmer of hope. Sometimes people need the right fit. Frost was great at USF and is about to get fired at Nebraska. Dino had a 1 win season last year. If that continues I don’t care what his grad rate is, he will need to be replaced.

I think UCF is a very winnable spot to be regardless of coach

Make or break year. Six wins and a bowl are a must.

Do I want him to make it? Absolutely. Do I think he will? Good chance because, from first impressions, SU doesn't appear to be too different than most of the rest of the pack.

Make or break year. Six wins and a bowl are a must.

Do I want him to make it? Absolutely. Do I think he will? Good chance because, from first impressions, SU doesn't appear to be too different than most of the rest of the pack.

6 wins absolutely. I was on the 5 wins maybe train but i've changed my tune.

If he gets 5 and is retained is Wildhack going to reup him? he's essentially a lame duck coach at that point. Not sure I want that too. Just need to find 3 wins in conference. If you can't win 3 in conference you gotta look elsewhere. It will mean he did it 1x

Yeah I've defended Dino but the standard needs to be a bowl game this year. He's had enough time and resources to make the program go bowling yearly.

Best case scenario is the team wins 6 or 7 games this year, then 8 or 9 wins with a more experienced/complete roster next season. That shifts the narrative in recruiting from focus on the 1 win season to having 3 winning seasons in the past 5 years.

Last edited:
I'm not sure judging him vs the coaches we didn't hire and how they did is not going to create a massive sliding doors scenario anyway. To me it's irrelevant. Coyle made the hire and he's gone too so even if Dino is fired this year we have a new guy who will be looking for his specific type of HC to lead the program. And if it comes to it i hope they eschew the big names and look no further than the Holy Cross HC. He just keeps winning everywhere he goes.

As Alsacs says, Dino has created one bowl season. The record speaks for itself. The team needs to find a way to get back into a bowl this year otherwise he will be looking for another job.

I think the schedule is there for the taking. I'm not sure how many Syracuse seasons I can say that with regards to the OOC.

‘Babers is clearly better than they guy he replaced and Grob. His one bowl season was the best in 20 years, that shows more than just a routine bowl season.

the evaluation shouldnt be bowl or bust, it’s what is the trajectory of the program. What does the roster look like, if all the better players are the younger ones that has to go into the evaluation

in my opinion last year is a giant not included in the evaluation.

Last edited:
‘Babers is clearly better than they guy he replaced and Grob. His one bowl season was the best on 20 years, that shows more than just a routine bowl season.

the evaluation shouldnt be bowl or bust, it’s what is the trajectory of the program. What does the roster look like, if all the better players are the younger ones that has to go into the evaluation

in my opinion last year is a giant not included in the evaluation.

That's reasonable take but I still think if we can't figure out 3 conference wins something is structurally wrong with the direction. I'm banking on 3 OOC which should be very easy to accomplish with this creampuff schedule. It's created in a way to get to a bowl this year.

Last year was def a mulligan but the year before was a coach not prepared at all. That season irritates me still.

I feel like the conf schedule is helpful as well in terms of finishing up strong.

Did anyone hear Babers pre game 2 presser? There was an inaudible question which I think was about offensive playcalling duties and then babers made it sound like it was a team effort. Can someone who heard it explain the answer. Is Gilbert not primary play caller on O?

Did anyone hear Babers pre game 2 presser? There was an inaudible question which I think was about offensive playcalling duties and then babers made it sound like it was a team effort. Can someone who heard it explain the answer. Is Gilbert not primary play caller on O?
Think the question was about not having a special teams coordinator and he spoke about it being a team effort

Was it me or was that a weird press conference? Lots of nods, unanswered questions, weird answers then music talk and that Santana song he plays all the time which I absolutely can't stand and I like Santana. don't know why they even bother with some of this stuff anymore

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom