Stealing an idea from Bill Simmons NCAA schools as money currency | Syracusefan.com

Stealing an idea from Bill Simmons NCAA schools as money currency

Alsacs

Living Legend
UConn is to the ACC what East Carolina was to the Big East until Tuesday. Each are obvious candidates both conferences clearly wanted nothing to do with. That is why Louisville made the cut over UConn. Certain ACC schools probably Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Boston College said UConn is 100% off the table, and as a result the only alternatives were Cincinnati or Louisville. Well Louisville won because their PR work was clearly better than Cincinnati and had more success to get that 14th slot. The ACC lost markets/TV sets and what I believe is a potential east coast Oregon in Maryland and gained Louisville.
When analyzing these conference moves I am going to steal an idea from Bill Simmons. He rated NBA players as currency evaluating their value. This is based on 70% Football 20% Basketball 10% TV Market
$2 bill: Reserved for elite blue blood schools, the ones who are flagship schools for any conference and move the needle nationally. This year's list: Notre Dame, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, Alabama, Southern California.That's it. I like the symmetry of the $2 bill here: You never see $2 bills.
$1 bill: Near-elite schools sitting a notch below those $2 bills, either because they're not quite as good, they're just a notch below elite. This group is LSU,Georgia, Nebraska, Florida State, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, North Carolina, Penn State(pre-probation),
Silver dollar: schools who aren't quite as desirable as an actual one-dollar bill, but could move its way up there with more consistency. UCLA, Oregon, Tennessee, Clemson, South Carolina, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Miami(Fl)
50-cent piece: Borderline silver dollars and up-and-comers, Arkansas, Stanford, California, Washington.
Quarter: The rest of the ACC, Big XII, Big Ten, Pac-12, SEC
Dime: BYU, UConn, Boise State, Cincinnati they become quarters with a new conference.
Nickel: The New New Big East with the exception of UConn, Boise State, and Cincinnati.
Penny: The MAC, Sun Belt, Conference USA, Mountain West Conference

I would love changes if anybody wants to help. I wanted to put Syracuse as a 50 cent piece, but wasn't sure if I would be considered a homer by doing that.

UConn
Mex2p1877o.jpg

ECU was never an "Obvious Candidate" to the Big East. ECU is the worst academic school in NC, had very average football that had like 1 good season, and terrible basketball. It was taken out of necessity, not because it was an obvious candidate.