Stephen Bailey to talk SU Football on Packer & Durham next | Syracusefan.com

Stephen Bailey to talk SU Football on Packer & Durham next

OL is a concern. Guys need to make the jump and stay healthy.

May be too late in the transfer cycle to get a "Game 1" starter from the portal.

QB depth is good.

Tucker had a good Spring. He'll do well if the OL holds up.

Defense did OK considering they didn't implement the 3-3-5 until Fall camp last year. Poised to take a step forward this year. Mikel Jones will be a leader.

Secondary will be young. Garrett Williams is the real deal. Jahad Carter will also stand out.

Devito will be the starter vs Ohio but Shredder will play.

Good session. I think that Dino turns it around this year. I have written this before but it a bowl or gone unless the loses are well played games. If we win 5 and play well he will return. If we win 5 and have blow outs he should be fired. Obviously injuries are a pass but other than that he has a senior heavy team and needs to win.

May be too late in the transfer cycle to get a "Game 1" starter from the portal.

QB depth is good.

Defense did OK considering they didn't implement the 3-3-5 until Fall camp last year. Poised to take a step forward this year. Mikel Jones will be a leader.

Secondary will be young. Garrett Williams is the real deal. Jahad Carter will also stand out.

That's... more in-depth than expected.

QB depth is good.

Could you elaborate here ...is Stepehen saying that OL is a concern based on last year, or based on what he has heard coming out of Spring ball?

Could you elaborate here ...is Stepehen saying that OL is a concern based on last year, or based on what he has heard coming out of Spring ball?

His concern was that it's pretty much the same guys from last year. Not based on anything from Spring Ball.

I took it as if he was basing it on last year and all the same guys are back.
Yea and he mentioned transfer reinforcements and mentioned Willie won’t be here but never mentioned the availability of Bleich

I have yet to hear anyone actually break down the way the line will look next year including new transfers (Bradford etc), newly healthy players, Bleich, and the increased amount of players now in their 3rd+ year (which is the first real year an OL should be counted on)

I think GoSU96 did this a couple months ago and I don’t hear any of those insights being hit on by outsiders (analysts, media, other coaches etc)

I know he’s got sources, but with how tight the ship has been I wonder how much of that was him guessing a bit?
I'll guess he confirmed the rumors on the board, and what he learned in the pressers... All of that was subjective, anyways. Be nice if we get that 10 minutes of media back, come fall.

Yea and he mentioned transfer reinforcements and mentioned Willie won’t be here but never mentioned the availability of Bleich

I have yet to hear anyone actually break down the way the line will look next year including new transfers (Bradford etc), newly healthy players, Bleich, and the increased amount of players now in their 3rd+ year (which is the first real year an OL should be counted on)

I think GoSU96 did this a couple months ago and I don’t hear any of those insights being hit on by outsiders (analysts, media, other coaches etc)
It’s easy to focus on the Oline. They have been mediocre during DBs ten year. Dungey made them look better than they were. I feel TD made them look worse then they may have been. (Stepping out of bounds before the line of scrimmage for a sack.
Never felt cavenaugh was the right fit. Schmidt did more with less at SDSU. Thinking he could make improvements but limited time.
Bergeron is solid. Dakota Davis is good. After that some ? marks. Vet to me is not the answer at center. Maybe ulloa. Servaise was serviceable at center, T was a disaster. Continue to see the play where he let the guy run right by and destroy Morgan for the season. Bleech could be good but no one knows how he will come back from injury. Tinsdale got a lot of game reps last year but still not sold. Pat Davis adds some depth but not a starter. Fromney is a vey strong and big guy so may step up if he is health. Limited game reps. Red is another question mark been in the program but was injured and not sure of his development under cavenaugh. The freshman and redshirt freshman I would not count on. Bradford may be a surprise. Not sure petry will add anything unless he is added significant weight and strength.
So over all we have two good starters. Two possible players if they are healthy in bleech and servaise. One more starter either at center or RT tackle. If others are healthy we have depth with tinsdale, p. Davis, red, Bradford, ulloa. Almost a second unit.
no one will really know anything until the first game. I expect the lack of information to continue through camp.
If the line does not improve it will be imperative that we have a dual threat qb that can use his legs to keep the defense honest.
At this point im keeping expectations low.

The O-line made it through Spring Ball without any injuries outside of one backup I believe. That's a start.

AND - the fact that we're gonna have about 20 O-Line dudes available, instead of FOUR, can't help but improve our odds that they are more effective (atomic-sized bar to clear) than last year.

Also - I'm bullish on Schmidt as the new OL coach.

So, to sum up:
Spring practices + new OL coach + plenty of depth + no major injuries =
it's GOTTA be better this Fall.

AND - the fact that we're gonna have about 20 O-Line dudes available, instead of FOUR, can't help but improve our odds that they are more effective (atomic-sized bar to clear) than last year.

Also - I'm bullish on Schmidt as the new OL coach.

So, to sum up:
Spring practices + new OL coach + plenty of depth + no major injuries =
it's GOTTA be better this Fall.

JMO but I expect to see the following guys get some playing time this year

Red
Vet
Tisdale
Bergeron
Bleich
Servais
P. Davis
D. Davis
Froumy
Bradford

10 guys should be enough to deal with potential injuries, and the rest of the guys on the roster can just take the year to develop and be ready for when the guys listed above move on.

Nobody is expecting us to have an elite OL but the idea OL is a weakness now is just a lazy take from last year being so awful.
I get ND wasn't trying hard the last game last year but our OL play against them was more than solid.
If we get decent OL play we are fine its just been dumpster fire for portions of the last 2 years and our QB play was been brutal as a result.

We should be fine to be decent on the OL.

Starts at 16:00.

Bailey's comments are more speculative - "Can the OL make the jump?" He said he heard good things from the spring, but spring isn't fall.

Packer and Durham really know their stuff.
Thanks for the link. Very helpful.

Bailey was responding to set up questions about the offensive line. Durham states a few times that O Line is the question mark ...he's obviously going by what he saw last year.

Bailey answers the question like we all would wondering if the line will improve. Stating that there were some good things coming out of Spring ball is encouraging though ...and he added that Tucker had a very good Spring

Bailey answers the question like we all would wondering if the line will improve. Stating that there were some good things coming out of Spring ball is encouraging though ...and he added that Tucker had a very good Spring
Makes me feel better about my choice in new avatar!

Nobody is expecting us to have an elite OL but the idea OL is a weakness now is just a lazy take from last year being so awful.
I get ND wasn't trying hard the last game last year but our OL play against them was more than solid.
If we get decent OL play we are fine its just been dumpster fire for portions of the last 2 years and our QB play was been brutal as a result.

We should be fine to be decent on the OL.
with Syracuse we always will have decent first stringers that can compete with really anyone but the bluest of blue blood football factories. The key is keeping them upright and not upsetting the limited depth.

I'm bullish on this team purely on having two QBs that can seemingly take snaps in a coherent fashion. That to me is something we haven't been able to do since honestly the 95 camp when we had the McNabb, Downing, Johnson room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom