Steve Addazio... | Syracusefan.com

Steve Addazio...

Sergeant Slaughter?

Discuss.
094e127fddc9c520682372d669a313a3_400x400.jpeg

6005669-sergeant+slaughter.jpg

great minds...

I think the hope was that Shafer would become all that Addazio has become. Y'know excelling at the hard-nosed, meathead side of football. Instead we got a Babers, who aspires to so much more.

He's a very good coach until Saturday. He gifted us the 2013 win that got us to the Texas Bowl with his incredibly stupid time management. He gifted FSU the win by punting on 4th and 1 when he'd gone for it all game. I'm sure there are plenty other examples of his meatheadedness.

Lots of love for the Dazzler! I don’t know. “Very good” or “great” should be reserved for better coaches. He’s ok. Let’s try some other adjectives.

For example: “the plucky head coach of Boston Collge managed to go just above .500 again”

“Defying all odds, the nifty Addazzio has saved his job with 3 ACC wins, even though nobody is entirely thrilled”

(I know someone will compare Dino with Addazzio and try to make a point and don’t. Thanks)

How tough is it going to be for us to stop Dillon and their running attack realistically?

How tough is it going to be for us to stop Dillon and their running attack realistically?

If the defense plays like it did against ND, we should be fine. The offense has to score and stay on the field.

Now that we're playing Cullen more and Dillon is on a bad wheel?

We're gonna be fine. They'll get their yards because they're committed to it, but we'll be just fine.

Also as Bam has stated shy and Dillon played against one another in hs. Kinda a shining star for shy to get amped up for this one. Keep a truckin shy and Guthrie. Whit takes te out we will be ok. If this game was middle season I would crap myself.

Dillon has been hurting for half the season and the Dazzler keeps running him every down. I think we will be ok against him. Our offense has to show up and I think it will.

He’s a good coach for BC. Jarmod will get rid of him as soon as he trips up b/c he wasn’t his hire.

Anybody who can finish .500 at BC has to be a good coach. And anybody who can win at Temple is more than a good coach. CA Monk made a great point upstream, Coach Shafer but better, and not such a knucklehead.

Anybody who can finish .500 at BC has to be a good coach. And anybody who can win at Temple is more than a good coach. CA Monk made a great point upstream, Coach Shafer but better, and not such a knucklehead.

He’s spunky

If one of my associates or staff said “being a leader means making a decision and feeling good about it” even if they just immeasurably screwed something up, I’d calmly ask them to leave my office and close my door and then kick a hole through the back of my desk. What does the chart say about winning percentage if you make one yard in that situation?

Dazzler Defends Punt

“I told the players yesterday, man, this is what happens when you’re the man in the arena,” he said, pulling out the Theodore Roosevelt quote when he needed it most. “As a team, as a player, as a coach, you know, you’ve got to make those decisions and you’ve got to feel great about what you did. You do them for the right reasons and you roll.”

“So we have a chart,” he said. “You guys have probably seen it. When I do the postgame interviews, it’s up on the wall. You have a 10 percent chance of scoring points when you’re inside your 10-yard line. That means to go the long field, there’s a 10 percent chance of scoring points.

it's insulting to even compare Addazio to Shafer. The only comp is they are both white and middle aged. Addazio is an offensive coach by background and someone Pasqualoni liked alot. Shafer is a defensive minded guy. Both were fantastic assistants. Addazio has proven to be a good HC. To win at BC (and Syracuse) you need to be a good HC.

Having said that, I feel like Addazio will need to show that they are trending to a 9 win season or Martin Jarmod will look elsewhere. It's only logical. It's somewhat similar to Pasqualoni and Gross. He's gonna go get his guy if the results stagnate.

it's insulting to even compare Addazio to Shafer. The only comp is they are both white and middle aged. Addazio is an offensive coach by background and someone Pasqualoni liked alot. Shafer is a defensive minded guy. Both were fantastic assistants. Addazio has proven to be a good HC. To win at BC (and Syracuse) you need to be a good HC.

Having said that, I feel like Addazio will need to show that they are trending to a 9 win season or Martin Jarmod will look elsewhere. It's only logical. It's somewhat similar to Pasqualoni and Gross. He's gonna go get his guy if the results stagnate.

If Shafer played BC’s OOC schedule, he’d still be our HC. Addazio is smoke and mirrors much like Schiano. Beats up on bad teams and can’t beat decent teams. Look at his ACC record. Look at his record vs teams that finished the regular season 6-6 or better.

If Shafer played BC’s OOC schedule, he’d still be our HC. Addazio is smoke and mirrors much like Schiano. Beats up on bad teams and can’t beat decent teams. Look at his ACC record. Look at his record vs teams that finished the regular season 6-6 or better.

He's a much better head coach than Shafer, I just don't see arguing against it. Scheduling aside he has had 1 losing season at BC and he recruits a lot better and has proven to be a competent HC over the long haul. I understand the schedule and beating lower tier ACC teams but Shafer was flat out horrible.

I think Addazio’s biggest gift is he is probably one of the best OL Coaches in America... has been since long before Florida. Obviously he delegates now but I’m sure his fingerprints are all over the unit.

In a day and age where OL play is vastly undercoached, it provides a huge advantage.

You want to know why OL Coaches are typically the longest tenured on a staff? It’s bc nobody else knows what the f they’re doing or coaching.

The Dazzler never would have survived with the schedules Shafer had.

In 2015(year 3), he goes 3-9, 0-8 on a schedule far easier than ours. He signs the #74 recruiting class. Then in 2016(year 4), he goes 6-6(2-6) but the wins were UMass, Wagner, Buffalo, NC State, UConn, Wake. That gets him to the Quick Lane Bowl where he beats a 6-6 Maryland team who also scheduled for success.

Our 2016 schedule had Notre Dame in Met Life and an 11-2 USF team.

Change out Buffalo and Wagner for USF and ND and his 2016 goes from a 6-6 to a 4-8 and they'd point to back to back 3-9, 4-8 with subpar recruiting and he's very likely fired. Remember at the time, the tone of our board was that we were ecstatic that they were keeping him.

If you flip the schedules, I would guess Shafer might still be here but he's long gone.

Just glad we don’t have a meathead HC.
Addaizo is one of those guys who still coaches like it is the 1980s.
He is lucky with Anthony Brown he has a young QB. Brown was a guy we lost that we all wanted.
BC has a more limited upside than Syracuse as long as we have Dino and they have Addaizo.
If Marrone didn’t leave the Orange so late in 2013 I think Addaizo could have very well been the SU coach. I would have taken Addaizo over Shafer.

Just glad we don’t have a meathead HC.
Addaizo is one of those guys who still coaches like it is the 1980s.
He is lucky with Anthony Brown he has a young QB. Brown was a guy we lost that we all wanted.
BC has a more limited upside than Syracuse as long as we have Dino and they have Addaizo.
If Marrone didn’t leave the Orange so late in 2013 I think Addaizo could have very well been the SU coach. I would have taken Addaizo over Shafer.

Absolutely agree with that. Addazio would have been competent for sure at Syracuse. I think the thought process is less about coaching in the 1980s vs coaching like he's in the Big 10. It can work if you have proper line play and control line of scrimmage and field.

I think the schedule discussion is a real thing. It certainly killed Shafer's chances much more quickly. Addazio has had 2 really bad ACC years. Otherwise he's .500 which i'd take over of the long term. The conference situation needs to be resolved b/c our side is beyond penal vs the Coastal.

Absolutely agree with that. Addazio would have been competent for sure at Syracuse. I think the thought process is less about coaching in the 1980s vs coaching like he's in the Big 10. It can work if you have proper line play and control line of scrimmage and field.

I think the schedule discussion is a real thing. It certainly killed Shafer's chances much more quickly. Addazio has had 2 really bad ACC years. Otherwise he's .500 which i'd take over of the long term. The conference situation needs to be resolved b/c our side is beyond penal vs the Coastal.

Agreed on the schedule but if you were an AD of sane mind and had to hire a coach would anyone ACTUALLY choose Shafer over Addazio. They aren't close to being equal and Addazio is a much better coach and he recruits very well. The whole premise is ridiculous and I would ride with the Dazzler anyday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom