Stewart almost committed to Cuse? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Stewart almost committed to Cuse?

I take that to mean that JB (or an assistant coach) got a courtesy call 15 minutes before he announced and said he really liked the cuse but decided to go to UW. He probably called all other schools around the same time and said the same thing.

Don't we all do that for job offers? I call each I am turning down to say it was a "VERY difficult, EXCEEDINGLY difficult decision", it was "very close and I gave it a GREAT DEAL OF THOUGHT but I decided to go elsewhere...and I called you IMMEDIATELY once I decided". A few times I got the "what's it going to take?" reply and I was prepared for that too.

Last edited:
At no point was stewart coming to cuse once Hop left. Adam W drove to support IS because he is one of his close mentor and had nothing to do with what school he was choosing
Did he bring his son along to teach him a lesson in disappointment?

At no point was stewart coming to cuse once Hop left. Adam W drove to support IS because he is one of his close mentor and had nothing to do with what school he was choosing
I don't buy that he drove 10 hours if he knew he was going to Wash. Sounds like the kid was on the fence and he went to try to convince him to come here. Just my two cents.

Okay. My worry about Braswell, and why I would take Cole every day of the week is 1. health. 2. health. did I mention health? I also do like Cole's shot and bit extra size (no snide remarks, guys).
Fair point.

Just as a side, Washington had a bad year the year that Isaiah played there. While it had two 1st round picks that year, it was not a well coached team and if I can search my memory, they did not have an strong point guard.

Isaiah played very good but the team was definitely lacking in overall team game.

BTW, Isaiah played AAU ball with Buddy and JGIII. He was good friends with JGIII. I understand that he wanted to get away from Syracuse but the year at Washington may not have been the experience he was looking for.

Last edited:
If anybody has Twitch go back and listen to Axe today, JB was all over the place...Kadari had no restrictions except not to shoot 3s, sounded like he wanted Braswell to stay, said most transfers don't work out for the player, basically said goodbye to Griffin and don't let door hit you on the way out and it sounded like he wants Quincy back. I thought JB doesn't care what people say or write, he called into Axe to dispute everything in the DO article
JAB wants everyone to think he doesn't care, but I've said it before and I'll continue to say it, he's the most thin-skinned dude in college hoops. He is incredibly sensitive to what people are saying about him and his program.

JAB wants everyone to think he doesn't care, but I've said it before and I'll continue to say it, he's the most thin-skinned dude in college hoops. He is incredibly sensitive to what people are saying about him and his program.
I agree and it is this thin skinned, defensive attitude that I think will eventually be his downfall when he says something that can't be rinsed away.

This story reminds me of Bryan Colangelo, although I don't think JB is doing it on purpose either or with the same intentions. Colangelo was an insecure used car salesman / fake twitterer.

He would always state, or let leak out after the fact. who he tried to draft (or would have drafted instead) or who he tried to trade for. Of course these were always players who became good and it was always leaked out or stated after the player became good.

Last edited:
I agree and it is this thin skinned, defensive attitude that I think will eventually be his downfall when he says something that can't be rinsed away.
He's going to hit 77 mid-season next year so I think age is more likely to be his downfall. He's not going to say something racist/sexist where he gets woke-booted in an instant.

He s

He said he didn’t hear the show at all but he called between the break of the DO reporter calling in and when he appeared on the show. He sounded flustered.

Only person that was flustered was Axe. I like Axe but he cowers to Jb. I know from the article hitting yesterday and then Axe having the guy on JB would call in. Jb has called into Axe over what Axe might have said or what fans calling have said over the years because he either hears it himself listening or somebody else hears it and tells him.

Why would he say it then. You know how media travels fast. Somebody could easily call up Stewart and ask him and if not true Jb has egg on his face. I believe Jb on this.
Maybe because Stewart called the coaches of the other schools 15 mins before he made the decision to tell em the news...it doesnt mean he MADE his decision then, its when he notified the coaches. Everyone knew he was UW

If the coaching staff truly believe this then they are far worse than understanding recruiting that I previously thought. I tend to actually believe that they did believe us. And I think that has been part of the reason for our recruiting troubles where we are merely going after one guy that we think is committing. Part of recruiting successfully is understanding what the true public perception is versus what the recruit is telling you. I think there’s a very real reason why we have been caught flat-footed by decisions being made by recruits. And this is the reason

Maybe because Stewart called the coaches of the other schools 15 mins before he made the decision to tell em the news...it doesnt mean he MADE his decision then, its when he notified the coaches. Everyone knew he was UW
People hate the idea of staying within the family for the next coach but the fact of the matter is if Mike Hopkins was at Syracuse right now he would have a top 5 to 10 class every year. If he had the full keys to the car there is no doubt in my mind we would be in a much different place talent wise

People hate the idea of staying within the family for the next coach but the fact of the matter is if Mike Hopkins was at Syracuse right now he would have a top 5 to 10 class every year. If he had the full keys to the car there is no doubt in my mind we would be in a much different place talent wise

hops gotta be the guy. I dont care about the uw record. Hes the first call and i doubt he turns it down.

I agree recruiting would be better and we would have more talent. I’m not so sure our record would be all that different, though. And I don’t think we’d have as much tournament success.

That said, I don’t have a problem with Hop replacing JB when the time comes. He’s earned the right to be given a chance.

If the coaching staff truly believe this then they are far worse than understanding recruiting that I previously thought. I tend to actually believe that they did believe us. And I think that has been part of the reason for our recruiting troubles where we are merely going after one guy that we think is committing. Part of recruiting successfully is understanding what the true public perception is versus what the recruit is telling you. I think there’s a very real reason why we have been caught flat-footed by decisions being made by recruits. And this is the reason

I agree -- what's become clear in recent years is that the staff doesn't have their finger on the pulse of what is happening with recruits they are targeting. They wholeheartedly expect things to occur [examples -- Green, Tucker], and then they are surprised when those things don't come to pass.

That's just being out of touch. And its why putting all eggs in one basket hasn't been a strategy that worked over that span of time, post-sanctions. Some of those misses were costly.

It's also why I take insider reports with a grain of salt, when information is relayed to the board second hand and stated as definitive fact -- I don't trust the coaches' instincts, given the recent track record. Them believing something will happen is great info and interesting to know, but it doesn't mean they are right.

Last edited:
Be confident in your shot, if they sag off u make em pay., which he showed he can do...
He did. After a full season working with GMac changing his mechanics. Take a look at the off hand placement early in rhe season vs. in the tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom