Strong turns down UT... | Syracusefan.com

Strong turns down UT...

stylish-fedora-hat-9.jpg

If true, there's a vote of confidence for the ACC.

If true, there are going to be a double-wide full of disappointed WVU fans and bloggers. I bet the Dude already had his next revenge fantasy written and ready to go online.

Tennessee is going to look at North Carolina's HC Larry Fedora next from the reports. You gotta think if any SEC school is going to turn to Bobby Petrino this is the school now that have been turned down by Mike Gundy, Charlie Strong and who knows. If Tennessee was smart they would go to James Franklin at Vanderbilt and get him. If he can turn Vandy into a 8-4, 5-3 in the SEC school imagine what he could do at Rocky Top.

The UT fans didn't want him, they still are convinced they are going to snag Gruden

Good for him.

He can earn a huge salary at Louisville for years to come - he can coach a truly great young QB - he can lead his program into a solid conference - the ACC - and he can avoid all of the negative elements of the SEC and Tennessee.

This is a good thing for the ACC and Syracuse University.

Why not?

Because he will get paid at louisville. Hes built a good program at lville that can compete for a league title. The sec has become so dominated by bama, lsu and now georgia tennessee is a tough job to try and turn around in a 3-4 year timeframe.

I love this. I can hear the delusional UT fans now, "He was scared to coach in the SEC. We didn't really want him anyway." Wake up UT fans. The SEC and NC from 14 years ago doesn't gaurantee you elite status anymore.

Charlie is King at Louisville, although he did piss off some fans with his comments about the fans. Trying to shake the tree a bit, not always a bad thing. I'm sure that will be forgotten very soon assuming he is staying as sources indicate. With continued success in future, Charlie will likely have the pick of the litter on future offerings, so no need to hurry out of town just as momentum is building with his team.

ACC is getting 2 good and rising football programs with Cuse and Ville.

Kind of surprised not to hear Jim Tressel's name more...

I still can't believe he lost his job over tatoos. That seems almost quint.

What is quaint is the idea that giving kids scholarship for an education they may or may not want or be able to utilize even if they did is adequate compensation for working in a multi-billion dollar industry. (It's not like there is any other viable option for someone that wants to pursue a professional athletics career, so "just don't take the deal if you don't like it" isn't really an option either - although people that really like to believe the system is fair pull it out anyway...)

As long as people want to continue to believe that lie, weird and bizarre rules are going to exist in order to perpetuate the illusion. Just don't look behind the curtain.

As far as UT, whoever takes the job better have figured out a way to keep up with the salaries the players at the other SEC schools are making - otherwise they'll be out of a job in 3-4 years (max). Clearly they aren't paying a competitive wage right now.

Pitt's going to make some noise down the road with Paul Chryst. I think the ACC chose wisely and FSU is going to either have to bring its "A" game or its putrid fans are going to be whining even more than they already are.

What is quaint is the idea that giving kids scholarship for an education they may or may not want or be able to utilize even if they did is adequate compensation for working in a multi-billion dollar industry. (It's not like there is any other viable option for someone that wants to pursue a professional athletics career, so "just don't take the deal if you don't like it" isn't really an option either - although people that really like to believe the system is fair pull it out anyway...)

As long as people want to continue to believe that lie, weird and bizarre rules are going to exist in order to perpetuate the illusion. Just don't look behind the curtain.

As far as UT, whoever takes the job better have figured out a way to keep up with the salaries the players at the other SEC schools are making - otherwise they'll be out of a job in 3-4 years (max). Clearly they aren't paying a competitive wage right now.
People work for multi-million dollar or multi-billion dollar businesses everyday and make peanuts. Before finishing college, many majors require you do internships that students often don't get paid for and also have to pay tuition for. Graduate students do research so schools can get huge grants and are still required to teach classes for their free tuition and small stipends. Only a small percentage of these athletes will ever play professionally and many less will have lengthy careers, so if they don't take advantage of educational opportunities that most don't have that is their fault. Trying to pay players as employees would open up a huge pandoras box that noone wants. If we think we hae a hard time getting 4 and 5 star guys now, imagine how it would look if the huge state schools could pay players salary.

Doesn't Louisville return a lot of their starters along with of course Bridgewater? Smart move by Strong and if he wins 10+ for the next two years he has a shot at either staying and being paid quite handsomely or if their is an opening at one of the elites (especially down south where his recruiting is extremely good) he could be sitting on the proverbial catbird seat.

But...who would have thought that Tennessee couldn't get the Louisville or Boise St coach if they wanted them 10 years ago? You have 100K fans, players don't have to be students, Tennessee honnies that go to the high school kids games, and they pay very well...the coaches get paid well too.

Tenn brand has taken a huge hit the past 7-8 years, name a program in the SEC other than Kentucky where you can honsetly say isn't ahead of Tenn right now. There are a couple that you can debate but the job ain't what it use to be.. Ole Miss, vandy, Miss St , T A&M, all trending in the right direction. That said, many of their fans still think Gruden is going to be their next coach. Coaches know the deal at Tennessee at this point, it's extremely high risk and has a very short fuse.

I don't know why people call Chris Petersen anymore, I think it's pretty clear that the only job he will ever leave Boise for is the Oregon job... His type of town and a program with lots of cash, he's a very granola, crunchy dude and he is also very very smart. Has a great gig and won't ruin it for almost anything. He has turned down almost every job in the Pac 12, I actually think he has minus OU

interesting. maybe schools like l'ville and SU arent just stepping stones. there goes that argument...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom