Stuff I Want to Check Out at the Spring Game | Syracusefan.com

Stuff I Want to Check Out at the Spring Game

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Wifi

It is implemented yet? Is it partly implemented yet? Hoping we can at least see a new network from our phones. Even if we are not allowed to connect. It would really stink if we have to wait until September to enjoy it. Also, I have a 5G phone and am hoping I can get 5G at the dome,

Offense

No question Coach Babers is going very vanilla here. I have low expectations. But I am interested in getting a feel for how Coach Beck is going to call plays. Will he attack clear mismatches? Will he throw it downfield much?
Backup QB Evaluation

Lamson or CDRW? A question for the ages. It appears Coach Babers does not want there to be a winner in this battle. Different media have said one of the other has the upper hand. I expecited to win this battle but it sounds like CDRW is playing well and has shown some running ability. If the past is any indicator, one of these guys is going to play a lto in 2023. Maybe both!

WR Rotation

OG is gonna be the man. No doubt about that. Is Alford going to be #2? We heard good things about Jones but he got hurt and we haven’t really seen what he can do. This could be his coming out party. Guys like Pena and Adams have had some good things said about them. Are Hatcher and Brown ever going to emerge?

OL Situation

Assuming we will see E Cruz at LT, Ellis at LG and More at RT. Assuming Ilaoa and Hoah will be the two centers. Will Bleich play? How does Bradford, the 3rd OG look? How does J Cruz, the third OT look? Will Petry or Kauai impress? How does the pass blocking look under Coach Farmer, a pass blocking guru? How does the run blocking look?

Tight Ends

Mang. Mahar. Villari. Clament. No idea what is going on here. It would not surprise me if any one of them step up and look clearly better than the rest. There are some indications Clement has been a minor revelation and has really stepped up here. I heard Villari was doing really well in the bowl practices. Mahar seems to have a lot of potential. And Mang has the experience. Hoping someone looks like they can block, get open and get passes here.

Fullback

How much are we going to use a fullback in 2023? With Rhino gone and no clear replacement on the roster, I was thinking this position would probably fade away. But walk on Elijah Wright is apparently getting a chance. Let’s see what the kid can do.

Running Back

How good is LeQuint? He looked terrific catching passes in the bowl game. Looked good running it too. Hard to evaluate players on that awful surface though. Who will back him up? Price got beat out by LeQuint, which surprised me. Where does he stand compared to Parkman and Daniels? Have been impressed with the small bits of video I have seen of Daniels running this spring.

Defense

How different will the defense look under Rocky Long? Will players move around more? Coach White was pretty conservative. Will Coach Long bring the chaos?

DL

I am interested in seeing who plays the most and who plays well and seeing how all the young guys play. But maybe more interested in what Ingraham, the transfer from Bama, brings to the table. Will the DL flop with LBs very much? How athletic are they? How much will we play with 4 DL because of the lack of depth at LB?

LB

We know all the vets are hurt and will not play. At least I think that is the case. I have heard Bailey has stepped up and is impressing. Want to see that. He looked damned good in the bowl game. Mason and Lowery might be the only other healthy LB right now. Maybe Roon too. Will watch them all closely.

DB

It is a big group and there are a lot of players to check out. Sounds like Johnson and Wilson have stepped up and solidified starting jobs at CB. Who is backing them up? I am hearing good things about Peterson. There has to be at least one more scholarship guy playing CB. Is that Delaine? Is Bellamy working at CB or at one of the safety positions? Is he bouncing back and forth? Same for Delaine.

We know Barron has locked up the Rover position and is looking much improved. Who is backing him up now? It was Hanna, who has left the building. Is it Gould?

I assume Clark remains the starter at free safety. Who is backing him up?

I assume Simmons is the starter at boundary safety. Who is backing him up? Oliver probably?

Special Teams

Stonehouse sounds like he has taken the punting job and is doing really well. Want to see what he can do.

Sounds like Denaberg has taken the vacant placekicking job and is also doing well. Let’s see what he can do. His kickoffs showed that he has a strong leg. What is his range for kicking FGs? Inquiring minds want to know.

I assume the long snapper will be incoming transfer Callahan, who is coming from Fordham. Who will back him up? Assuming Peña will be the primary returner for punts and kickoffs. Who else will be doing this?

Who is working out as the gunners on kickoffs and punts?

Hope to have a few of these questions answered later tonight.

I don't know how it works for everyone else, but I just saw the spring game isn't broadcast to me until Tuesday morning.

I get ACCN via YouTubeTV in Utah.

If past is prologue expect to see a few guys ball out and show incredible potential and promise. Then expect never to hear anything about them again. For a year. No follow up questions, status updates, practice mentions, pictures, game appearances, nothing. To quote a wise man: "You get nothing. You lose! Good day sir!"

If past is prologue expect to see a few guys ball out and show incredible potential and promise. Then expect never to hear anything about them again. For a year. No follow up questions, status updates, practice mentions, pictures, game appearances, nothing. To quote a wise man: "You get nothing. You lose! Good day sir!"
Ha ha, it's funny because it's true!

I have had a 5g phone for almost a yr.. Still waiting to get to use it.. Home we rarely even have 4g, at work its a bad thing when 5g zones work because it doesnt know how to switch to 4g when you go out of 5g areas. In roch when I go see the kids very little 5G areas that work.

Its too bad Verizon locked down the 4g switches as that would make it work much better.

Can't wait to listen to two hours of bitching and complaining about:
Dino
Red
FLJ
Gait
K-Train
Wildhack
WiFi
Field Turf
NLI
NIL
and Uniforms.
add
parking
Weitsman
Grab and Go
ticket prices (maybe dumbest complaint of all)
nutrition

add
parking
Weitsman
Grab and Go
ticket prices (maybe dumbest complaint of all)
nutrition
Decking free tickets. Doesn't the school realize they're missing out on tens of dollars not charging five bucks a head for this

I don't know how it works for everyone else, but I just saw the spring game isn't broadcast to me until Tuesday morning.

I get ACCN via YouTubeTV in Utah.
Thanks a million, spent some time on the DirectTV guide tonight looking for it but came up empty until you just mentioned it here. Duly set to record on the DVR.

Wifi

It is implemented yet? Is it partly implemented yet? Hoping we can at least see a new network from our phones. Even if we are not allowed to connect. It would really stink if we have to wait until September to enjoy it. Also, I have a 5G phone and am hoping I can get 5G at the dome,

Offense

No question Coach Babers is going very vanilla here. I have low expectations. But I am interested in getting a feel for how Coach Beck is going to call plays. Will he attack clear mismatches? Will he throw it downfield much?
Backup QB Evaluation

Lamson or CDRW? A question for the ages. It appears Coach Babers does not want there to be a winner in this battle. Different media have said one of the other has the upper hand. I expecited to win this battle but it sounds like CDRW is playing well and has shown some running ability. If the past is any indicator, one of these guys is going to play a lto in 2023. Maybe both!

WR Rotation

OG is gonna be the man. No doubt about that. Is Alford going to be #2? We heard good things about Jones but he got hurt and we haven’t really seen what he can do. This could be his coming out party. Guys like Pena and Adams have had some good things said about them. Are Hatcher and Brown ever going to emerge?

OL Situation

Assuming we will see E Cruz at LT, Ellis at LG and More at RT. Assuming Ilaoa and Hoah will be the two centers. Will Bleich play? How does Bradford, the 3rd OG look? How does J Cruz, the third OT look? Will Petry or Kauai impress? How does the pass blocking look under Coach Farmer, a pass blocking guru? How does the run blocking look?

Tight Ends

Mang. Mahar. Villari. Clament. No idea what is going on here. It would not surprise me if any one of them step up and look clearly better than the rest. There are some indications Clement has been a minor revelation and has really stepped up here. I heard Villari was doing really well in the bowl practices. Mahar seems to have a lot of potential. And Mang has the experience. Hoping someone looks like they can block, get open and get passes here.

Fullback

How much are we going to use a fullback in 2023? With Rhino gone and no clear replacement on the roster, I was thinking this position would probably fade away. But walk on Elijah Wright is apparently getting a chance. Let’s see what the kid can do.

Running Back

How good is LeQuint? He looked terrific catching passes in the bowl game. Looked good running it too. Hard to evaluate players on that awful surface though. Who will back him up? Price got beat out by LeQuint, which surprised me. Where does he stand compared to Parkman and Daniels? Have been impressed with the small bits of video I have seen of Daniels running this spring.

Defense

How different will the defense look under Rocky Long? Will players move around more? Coach White was pretty conservative. Will Coach Long bring the chaos?

DL

I am interested in seeing who plays the most and who plays well and seeing how all the young guys play. But maybe more interested in what Ingraham, the transfer from Bama, brings to the table. Will the DL flop with LBs very much? How athletic are they? How much will we play with 4 DL because of the lack of depth at LB?

LB

We know all the vets are hurt and will not play. At least I think that is the case. I have heard Bailey has stepped up and is impressing. Want to see that. He looked damned good in the bowl game. Mason and Lowery might be the only other healthy LB right now. Maybe Roon too. Will watch them all closely.

DB

It is a big group and there are a lot of players to check out. Sounds like Johnson and Wilson have stepped up and solidified starting jobs at CB. Who is backing them up? I am hearing good things about Peterson. There has to be at least one more scholarship guy playing CB. Is that Delaine? Is Bellamy working at CB or at one of the safety positions? Is he bouncing back and forth? Same for Delaine.

We know Barron has locked up the Rover position and is looking much improved. Who is backing him up now? It was Hanna, who has left the building. Is it Gould?

I assume Clark remains the starter at free safety. Who is backing him up?

I assume Simmons is the starter at boundary safety. Who is backing him up? Oliver probably?

Special Teams

Stonehouse sounds like he has taken the punting job and is doing really well. Want to see what he can do.

Sounds like Denaberg has taken the vacant placekicking job and is also doing well. Let’s see what he can do. His kickoffs showed that he has a strong leg. What is his range for kicking FGs? Inquiring minds want to know.

I assume the long snapper will be incoming transfer Callahan, who is coming from Fordham. Who will back him up? Assuming Peña will be the primary returner for punts and kickoffs. Who else will be doing this?

Who is working out as the gunners on kickoffs and punts?

Hope to have a few of these questions answered later tonight.
I thought Hanna was an academic casualty this spring and not in the portal. I could be wrong, can anybody clarify? I liked Hanna, hard hitter for only 170 pounds and could be kind of a ballhawk, interception guy.

Well? No updates?

Appreciate Tomcat from taking time working on his golf game to work on his post game analysis game as well..

I thought Hanna was an academic casualty this spring and not in the portal. I could be wrong, can anybody clarify? I liked Hanna, hard hitter for only 170 pounds and could be kind of a ballhawk, interception guy.
You are right. Last we discussed this, Hanna was presumed to have academic work to do and if he does it, is presumed to return. I don’t think he ever put his name in the portal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom