Stuff | Syracusefan.com

Stuff

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Someone I know attended a recent practice. Here are some observations that were shared with me:

Everyone is indeed in excellent shape. There was a heavy emphasis on conditioning in the practice and no one struggled with the extended sprints the players were forced to run.

The most improved player from last year was clearly Melo, who was constantly hustling down the court, very aggressive on offense and defense and a formidable force inside for the first time. Had a bunch of blocks, was easily the best rebounder out there and even scored some points. Had a couple of beautiful face up jumpers from 10 feet that were NBA quality. Made a bunch of dunks but missed a few too. Still looks very suspect from the FT line.

The scrimmage part of the practice was dominated by Dion Waiters on one side, and by Brandon Triche on the other. Both are lean, moving better than last year, passing the ball well, shooting well from the outside and looking very confident. Dion is able to get to the hole a lot better than last season, is jumping much better. Brandon knocked down a bevy of 3s. Is getting his jumper off quicker. Stayed late to work on his shooting and hit 11 in a row.

Keita has added some muscle to his arms but he is still light to play inside and has some problems keeping Melo from establishing position down low. Still not as aggressive as he could be defending the paint. Sometimes lets people drive by him for layups or dunks without trying to block or hard foul. Not acceptable. Has improved some offensively but still will be limited on that end. Rebounding better now that he has two hands again.

CJ looks about the same as last year. Was wearing an undershirt so it was hard to tell but it doesn't appear he is a lot stronger than last year...this will not help him play the 4 effectively. Has extended his shooting range to 16 or 17 feet but like a lot of young players, is slow getting rid of the ball.

KJ was practicing for the first time in a week and looked a little rusty and tentative. Still finished well and looks solid shooting free throws.

Scoop had a really quiet practice. Looked like he was toning down his scoring and focusing on running the offense, which he did very effectively. For this team, it might be best for him to be in pass first mode and focus on distributing the ball and getting it to players in good positions to score. Made good decisions but the quality of the defense he was facing was not great.

Rakim looks like a fine raw athlete. Has no offensive game to speak of in the half court right now...looks like he is capable of hitting a 10 footer but he isn't even looking at the basket when he has the ball now. Finishes well in transition. Is quick enough to do an adequate job on the wing in the 2-3. Didn't do much damage on the boards, has a tendency to leak out early to try and get an easy transition basket.

Trevor looks like he is having some problems getting used to the extreme nature of physical play at this level. He is a strong guy, has a nice build for a frosh but is getting pushed around some, is not really looking for his shot, doesn't appear to have much in the way of getting open and getting shots off running around without the ball and needs some work on the defensive end getting in the right position, cutting off angles, denying the ball, etc. Showed no evidence of being able to shoot off the dribble. He has great form on his jumper and gets it off fairly quickly. But he has some work to do to make a regular contribution for this team.

MCW was impressive. Has a knack of being in the right place at the right time. Was surprisingly adept at scoring in the paint, getting rebounds and follows down low, etc. Played almost exclusively at the point. Fine passer. Good handle. Appears to be one of those guys that has a high hoops IQ and may well play like a veteran from day one. Has a slow release on his jumper, does not show much in terms of ability to shoot off the dribble at this point in his career. Do not think he will be much of a factor early in his career shooting from the outside.

Forget to mention JS on the initial post. Another guy who wore a tshirt under his jersey, so it is hard to say with conviction, but it doesn't look like he spent a ton of time in the weight room during the off season. Still a fine outside shooter, still gravitates outside the 3 point circle, his ball handling appears to have improved a little but didn't see much in the way of development with his inside game. Did make a couple of nice 3s off the dribble.

The team was in great spirits, no sign of players not getting along, the vets worked regularly with the y0ungsters on ways to improve. A lot of good natured kidding. There are a bunch of work ons that get ribbed some. Reece, Nick and Big Mike are all unusually good players for walk ons (not sure if Brandon got a schollie this year or not).

Lastly, they cut a hole in the wall between the Hall of Fame and the practice courts so you can see the crystal 2003 NC trophy from the practice courts (it has fancy lighting so it looks very nice). If you have a desperate need to see a practice, you might want to try and watch from the Hall through the window. The view from there might be a good one.

Very encouraging about Melo. He only averaged 9.9 minutes per game last year. If all this is true about him then he should average around 28 minutes per game. If that's the case then the Cuse will be a extremely good team. Thanks for the update.

Thanks Tom. I needed something positive after the football debacle.

This report needs more Mookie!

Someone I know attended practice on Thursday night. Here are some observations that were shared with me:

Everyone is indeed in excellent shape. There was a heavy emphasis on conditioning in the practice and no one struggled with the extended sprints the players were forced to run.

The most improved player from last year was clearly Melo, who was constantly hustling down the court, very aggressive on offense and defense and a formidable force inside for the first time. Had a bunch of blocks, was easily the best rebounder out there and even scored some points. Had a couple of beautiful face up jumpers from 10 feet that were NBA quality. Made a bunch of dunks but missed a few too. Still looks very suspect from the FT line.

The scrimmage part of the practice was dominated by Dion Waiters on one side, and by Brandon Triche on the other. Both are lean, moving better than last year, passing the ball well, shooting well from the outside and looking very confident. Dion is able to get to the hole a lot better than last season, is jumping much better. Brandon knocked down a bevy of 3s. Is getting his jumper off quicker. Stayed late to work on his shooting and hit 11 in a row.

Keita has added some muscle to his arms but he is still light to play inside and has some problems keeping Melo from establishing position down low. Still not as aggressive as he could be defending the paint. Sometimes lets people drive by him for layups or dunks without trying to block or hard foul. Not acceptable. Has improved some offensively but still will be limited on that end. Rebounding better now that he has two hands again.

CJ looks about the same as last year. Was wearing an undershirt so it was hard to tell but it doesn't appear he is a lot stronger than last year...this will not help him play the 4 effectively. Has extended his shooting range to 16 or 17 feet but like a lot of young players, is slow getting rid of the ball.

KJ was practicing for the first time in a week and looked a little rusty and tentative. Still finished well and looks solid shooting free throws.

Scoop had a really quiet practice. Looked like he was toning down his scoring and focusing on running the offense, which he did very effectively. For this team, it might be best for him to be in pass first mode and focus on distributing the ball and getting it to players in good positions to score. Made good decisions but the quality of the defense he was facing was not great.

Rakim looks like a fine raw athlete. Has no offensive game to speak of in the half court right now...looks like he is capable of hitting a 10 footer but he isn't even looking at the basket when he has the ball now. Finishes well in transition. Is quick enough to do an adequate job on the wing in the 2-3. Didn't do much damage on the boards, has a tendency to leak out early to try and get an easy transition basket.

Trevor looks like he is having some problems getting used to the extreme nature of physical play at this level. He is a strong guy, has a nice build for a frosh but is getting pushed around some, is not really looking for his shot, doesn't appear to have much in the way of getting open and getting shots off running around without the ball and needs some work on the defensive end getting in the right position, cutting off angles, denying the ball, etc. Showed no evidence of being able to shoot off the dribble. He has great form on his jumper and gets it off fairly quickly. But he has some work to do to make a regular contribution for this team.

MCW was impressive. Has a knack of being in the right place at the right time. Was surprisingly adept at scoring in the paint, getting rebounds and follows down low, etc. Played almost exclusively at the point. Fine passer. Good handle. Appears to be one of those guys that has a high hoops IQ and may well play like a veteran from day one. Has a slow release on his jumper, does not show much in terms of ability to shoot off the dribble at this point in his career. Do not think he will be much of a factor early in his career shooting from the outside.

The team was in great spirits, no sign of players not getting along, the vets worked regularly with the y0ungsters on ways to improve. A lot of good natured kidding. There are a bunch of work ons that get ribbed some. Reece, Nick and Big Mike are all unusually good players for walk ons (not sure if Brandon got a schollie this year or not).

Lastly, they cut a hole in the wall between the Hall of Fame and the practice courts so you can see the crystal 2003 NC trophy from the practice courts (it has fancy lighting so it looks very nice). If you have a desperate need to see a practice, you might want to try and watch from the Hall through the window. The view from there might be a good one.
Wow, what a well-written, informative report! Thank you! BTW, Tomcat, I noticed the GG Bridge... I cross that bridge every morning on the way to work.

great post; well written and full of information...positive on the bballers. Sounds like it will be interesting to see what transpires with Triche, Waiters, and MCW. Good news on Melo translates from the World games...if he can give 20+ minutes and score 6-8 pts and 7 boards 'Cuse should be in good shape...and if he can play more and move that to 10-12 pts and 10 boards we will be a NC.

thx for the report.
Interesting comment that Dion is getting to the hole much better than last year. I thought last year he could almost get there at will.

The information on Dion confirms what I have been told. The report on Triche confirms what I took away from MM.

Gotta say I am so freakin' encouraged by the Melo reports---sounds like we might be getting the "advertised" player after all, just a year late. Tom, most importantly, thanks a lot for the practice report (other than a couple from Neal via RF2044, definitely a shortage of these this year!)

That post had a lot of positive news. I think the above information regarding Scoop looking to score a little less is the highlight. I realize that sometimes Scoop was left with no choice at the end of the shot clock last year. However, even accounting for that fact, he took too high a percentage of the team's shots IMO.

If guys like Waiters, Melo, Triche and Fair have taken steps forward, Scoop shouldn't feel the need to create for himself as much this year, which will help his overall play.

I'm not buying anything on Melo until I see it in a real (not exhibition) game against a real (non-DePaul type) front line.

IIRC, he made his play of the season last year about 45 seconds in to the first exhibition game with his in-bounds steal and 75 foot coast-to-coast move. Dreams that we were getting a stud player were quickly quashed.

I really hope he's improved, and it certainly sounds like he's physically in better shape. But there's light years between "getting it" in practice/glorified pick-up and legit game-time situations.

Howbout defensively.
Any insightfull thoughts on who the better defenders at the top of the zone are??
Has Dion/Triche/Scoop gotten better?

How is MCW and Cooneys defense holding in practice?
Anyone look like they will be extending out more in the zone?
If you had to rate them 1-5 defensively this year how would you rate them?

If we can add even one good pressure guard to CJ and Keitas scrappyness :bat:.

No Mookie report? :(
Sorry about that. The word on Mookie is that Mookie is still Mookie. Hasn't changed much for better or worse. He is working with the forwards now...he worked with the guard throughout his SU career until this year. The abundance of guards we have now apparently prompted the move. He can still stroke the jumper but his skill set is otherwise pretty limited.

Looks to be making the adjustment to playing along the baseline in the zone pretty well. Needs to be really physical to not be a liability rebounding while playing forward...he is not very tall for a forward and not very strong either.. It would not be completely shocking for something to click with Mookie this year and see him emerge as a regular in the rotation. But he has some tough competition for playing time...KJ is on some AA teams, CJ has a lot of talent, as does JS. And RC was a HS AA who is the only guy on the team whose body makes one think power forward.

Still not as aggressive as he could be defending the paint. Sometimes lets people drive by him for layups or dunks without trying to block or hard foul. Not acceptable.

Great report, Tom, my only qualm is that shouldn't he not be trying to hard foul our own players in practice? I'm sure once we get to games he'll get a bit more aggressive in this category.

Great report, Tom, my only qualm is that shouldn't he not be trying to hard foul our own players in practice? I'm sure once we get to games he'll get a bit more aggressive in this category.

It doesn't work that way. If you don't practice hard you won't play hard. Fouls are part of the game, he needs to go for every block he can and if a player is fouled they should go for the and 1 just like a real game.

It doesn't work that way. If you don't practice hard you won't play hard. Fouls are part of the game, he needs to go for every block he can and if a player is fouled they should go for the and 1 just like a real game.
So you really want our players possibly injuring a teammate to get a hard foul in practice? Come on. I understand "practice like you play" but it's not like not practicing a hard foul makes it impossible to do in a game.

So you really want our players possibly injuring a teammate to get a hard foul in practice? Come on. I understand "practice like you play" but it's not like not practicing a hard foul makes it impossible to do in a game.

We are not G-town I.E. goons that go out there and try and lay people out (JT II version anyway). Players should never worry or even think about injuries. They should practice hard and play hard. Most basketball injuries are non-contact anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom