Style of O - How we used to play against lesser opponents | Syracusefan.com

Style of O - How we used to play against lesser opponents

OrangeTarheel

It’s time to kick names and take ass
The Syracuse teams I grew up watching (90s era) used to have the same approach every time they played a lesser opponent. The first half was 90%+ run calls. The second half the offense was allowed to open up a bit. It seems like this has changed.

Was that just the result of the OC we had? Or have other things changed as well?

Sportsmanship be damned, I'd like to see us play the same against ALL opponent's...if that means hanging 1/2 a hundred a few times a year, so be it.

Not true. Those teams actually strived for a run pass balance.

I do believe overall college football has flipped the percentages. It use to be 60/40 run now it seems to be 60/40 pass.

Last edited:
I do believe overall college football has flipped the percentages. Its used to be 60/40 run now it seems to be 60/40 pass.

Agree with you. Not sure it was gamesmanship at all, I think it was a lot of times because we play the lesser opponents historically early in the year and also because the percentages you suggest. Work on the backbone of your offense first, running the ball. It also lends itself to not showing your offensive hand for the bigger games later in the year.

CuseOnly said:
Agree with you. Not sure it was gamesmanship at all, I think it was a lot of times because we play the lesser opponents historically early in the year and also because the percentages you suggest. Work on the backbone of your offense first, running the ball. It also lends itself to not showing your offensive hand for the bigger games later in the year.

I don't think you'll see that this year at all. This offense is predicated on taking (more like aggressively stealing) what the D gives you and gets better with more reps.

In other words, no mercy given.

I don't think you'll see that this year at all. This offense is predicated on taking (more like aggressively stealing) what the D gives you and gets better with more reps.

In other words, no mercy given.
Yup, if the defensive is line up to defend pass only then Babers will run the ball all game. Vice versa.