SU #2 Here | Syracusefan.com

SU #2 Here

Yeah kinda surprising as I figured they would put the buckeyes ahead of us. Nova has some good wins but I don't think they are that powerful yet. Iowa is right there around #25 and thats pretty legit from seeing them play. Kansas is about where Iowa is not top 15. That certainly can change. I would say Nova belongs more like 14-18. They are scrappy and quick but also have a lot of flaws.

I love Winn's power rankings but he never seems to have anything to say about Syracuse really.

I love Winn's power rankings but he never seems to have anything to say about Syracuse really.

Yeah he is mainly a statistics nut ( which I can't knock since I am a math nerd myself) but he rarely goes outside putting numbers within an explanation.

No I realy like his metrics approach too. It's just that for some of the teams he has a nice breakdown of something they do or something interesting about them. Syracuse usually gets a bland chart with some text only marginally related to the team or their ranking. For instance this week: absolutely nothing about why he thinks they are the #2 team. And also, this is the first time I have questioned his numbers. I don't seem to recall the 7% of possessions we played man this year!

The one exception was two years ago he did an awesome breakdown of every steal Dion Waiters got in the entire season. Man that takes some effort!!

FWIW, Sagarin still has us at #12:

http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm

Interestingly, he has us #1 in his "pure_elo" method, which looks only at W/L vs your opponent, and ignores margin, much like a chess rating (in fact I think he used to call this "elo_chess"). However, he ignores this method in favor of two other methods which are scoring margin based when compiling his Overall rating.

FWIW, Sagarin still has us at #12:

http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm

Interestingly, he has us #1 in his "pure_elo" method, which looks only at W/L vs your opponent, and ignores margin, much like a chess rating (in fact I think he used to call this "elo_chess"). However, he ignores this method in favor of two other methods which are scoring margin based when compiling his Overall rating.
kenpom has us at #7 and we are #3 in rpi

Anybody else notice we are 333 in tempo on Kenpom. Obviously this is cause of the zone, but man who would ever think our tempo would be that low. Our tempo has gone down every year since 08-09. That year we were 33. I know our defense has been better than the devo/Flynn years, but it's amazing how long team wait before they attack us.

I
Anybody else notice we are 333 in tempo on Kenpom. Obviously this is cause of the zone, but man who would ever think our tempo would be that low. Our tempo has gone down every year since 08-09. That year we were 33. I know our defense has been better than the devo/Flynn years, but it's amazing how long team wait before they attack us.
Is the tempo measurement impacted by teams taking 30+ seconds to get shots up against us?

Playing zone 92.3% of the time? I can't even remember one possession where we didn't play zone, let alone 7.7%. Do times when we are pressing not count as zone, even though it's basically a zone press?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom