SU #25 in final coaches poll | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU #25 in final coaches poll

There weren’t 24 better teams... at the end of the season. Over the last few weeks maybe 15ish. I doubt it’d be competitive with Gonzaga and Baylor but Cuse would be competitive with just about anyone else. Even Houston was no cakewalk. Still from where they were- what tremendous progress.

So we made the Sweet 16 but got 25th.

Eh?
Serious question ? At one point during the season , I remember the board debating whether we would make the NIT. The fact that we played well at the end of the season, made the tournament , and beat two solid teams to make the sweet 16, is quite an accomplishment given the circumstances. I was very happy to see that we were ranked 25th, no complaints.

Serious question ? At one point during the season , I remember the board debating whether we would make the NIT. The fact that we played well at the end of the season, made the tournament , and beat two solid teams to make the sweet 16, is quite an accomplishment given the circumstances. I was very happy to see that we were ranked 25th, no complaints.
Exactly. We had a good run to the Sweet 16 but you can't ignore everything that happened before that when considering our ranking. 25 is reasonable.

End up with more points in a game at the end of regulation play.
Despite having a less offensive lineup on the floor with Sid. Which games do you think we win?

Which losses would have been wins?
Sidibe at the end of 19-20 was a force on both ends of the floor. I believe I would hazard to guess wins against Rut, Pitt, Clemson, UNC, Uva, mabe more. And easier wins against Bryant and UB. The season would have started and proceeded on a much surer footing and been significantly more successful.

Which losses would have been wins?
We could have lost to Bryant, Northeastern if Sidibe plays a lot of minutes.
We could have won the Pitt game at the Dome if Sidibe plays a lot of minutes.

Sidibe helps the defense and hurts the offense. One of the forwards has to sit half the game. Which of course would have hurt “spacing”.

Despite having a less offensive lineup on the floor with Sid. Which games do you think we win?

one of our biggest weaknesses this year was inside defense. I thought many here made that a point when they screamed for Jesse? A healthy Sidibe all season would have made a difference. A positive difference. You can’t argue for Jesse being on the court, thus removing one of the forwards then say Sidibe would have hurt us because the offense would have been worse for the same reason. You can’t have it both ways with Jesse and Sidibe. And Sidibe would have been significantly better than Jesse.

one of our biggest weaknesses this year was inside defense. I thought many here made that a point when they screamed for Jesse? A healthy Sidibe all season would have made a difference. A positive difference. You can’t argue for Jesse being on the court, thus removing one of the forwards then say Sidibe would have hurt us because the offense would have been worse for the same reason. You can’t have it both ways with Jesse and Sidibe. And Sidibe would have been significantly better than Jesse.
This is a completely fair argument. One that couscuse would never have been able to make on his own. Ever. Too cogent.

My concern with Sid was him and Marek on the floor together at the same time. Better defense, but the offense would struggle. And with Buddy's struggles early in the year, that would have been bad. So, who would have come out early in the year with Sid and MD on the floor together? Either Griff, when he was actually good, or Quincy, which would have hurt us on offense as well. Would have been tough to overcome that loss of offense in some games, I think.

one of our biggest weaknesses this year was inside defense. I though many here made that a point when they screamed for Jesse? A healthy Sidibe all season would have made a difference. A positive difference. You can argue for Jesse being on the court, thus removing one of the forwards then say Sidibe would have hurt us because the offense would have been worse for the same reason. You can’t have it both ways with Jesse and Sidibe. And Sidibe would have been significantly better than Jesse.
People can have it both ways when the HC has it both ways.

Spacing has been said ad nausem when certain guards had to play.
Defense doesn’t matter for them but playing Sidibe over one of the forward.
Sidibe helps the defense 100% and hurts our offense and spacing by playing.
One of Marek/Quincy/Alan has to
Sit.

I think its fair to say, simply put, having Sidibe would have given us another lineup option/possibility. Its not an all or nothing situation though. Its matchup and game specific. Some games he would have played more when a bigger inside presence was needed, other games where we needed shooters or better spacing, he wouldn't have played as much. We play the matchups, but I think its fair to say in certain games we definitely missed Sidibe inside, some games more than others.

Sidibe at the end of 19-20 was a force on both ends of the floor. I believe I would hazard to guess wins against Rut, Pitt, Clemson, UNC, Uva, mabe more. And easier wins against Bryant and UB. The season would have started and proceeded on a much surer footing and been significantly more successful.
This is such a false narrative. He wasn't a force. He was improving nicely.

Last game of the year against UNC - 35 minutes, 12 points, 13 boards, 4 fouls (excellent game all around)
Second last game of the year against Miami - 26 minutes, 2 points, 10 boards, 5 fouls (5 o-boards and only 3 shot attempts)
3rd last game, - ah heck with this here are the stats - Excellent rebounding to finish the year. But his offense was inconsistent. Definitely not a force.

1617801141989.png

This is a completely fair argument. One that couscuse would never have been able to make on his own. Ever. Too cogent.

My concern with Sid was him and Marek on the floor together at the same time. Better defense, but the offense would struggle. And with Buddy's struggles early in the year, that would have been bad. So, who would have come out early in the year with Sid and MD on the floor together? Either Griff, when he was actually good, or Quincy, which would have hurt us on offense as well. Would have been tough to overcome that loss of offense in some games, I think.

but that was part of my point. People wanted Jesse on the court and obviously some if not a lot of the time was going to be with marek. So your points above stand with Jesse too. And we saw how much people wanted Jesse out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom