SU 3 pt% stats and info | Syracusefan.com

SU 3 pt% stats and info

Sgt Cuse

All Conference
According to my research SU has had 99 players attempt over 50 three pointers in a season. In the 27 seasons there have been 60 players attempting over 100 3pt attempts.

The highest % of those players was Matt Roe at 47.4 (followed by CJ last year - the lowest was Elvir at 19.2). Fifteen times players have finished above 40% and only 8 times for players with over 100 attempts.

The highest season to season % increase has been Preston Shumpert at 13.9. For those with over 100 attempts the % increase was Jason Cipolla at 6.8%.

Currently, TC is at 47.3% (26/55). TC's season to season increase currently stands at 20.6%. Where do you think TC ends the season?

I'm guessing he settles in at around 41-42% by the end of the year. I think we'll all be pretty damn happy with that, of course.

TC is doing more than making his 3s. His movement and cutting on offense is sensational! It draws a lot of attention to him and frees up a lot other players to make baskets. This kind of thing doesn't show up in the "assists" column but he's sure helping other people make baskets!

I think he will finish 42-45%. My initial thinking is that league games will be tougher, but then again, those teams don't know SU yet. Also, the preseason has been filled with major conference teams. So, he should be able to maintain a percentage in the low to mid 40's.

With the high volume of 3-pointers he attempts, I would be thrilled if he finishes around 40%.

TC is doing more than making his 3s. His movement and cutting on offense is sensational! It draws a lot of attention to him and frees up a lot other players to make baskets. This kind of thing doesn't show up in the "assists" column but he's sure helping other people make baskets!
Yep - one of the things Dakich pointed out during the Indiana game was the way Cooney was pulling the help defense toward him, which lead to an easy bucket for Coleman in the first half. They have to pay attention to him, meaning it was an easy lob pass inside for the layup, and the help D was so far away it couldn't get there quickly enough.

As long as he keeps shooting and moving without the ball, it'll help the whole offense.

With the high volume of 3-pointers he attempts, I would be thrilled if he finishes around 40%.

The 40% club for over 100 attempts is a nice club. G Monroe, M Roe, M Janulis, P Shumper, D Nichols, A Rautins, and Wes Johnson. Roe did it twice.

The 40% club for over 100 attempts is a nice club. G Monroe, M Roe, M Janulis, P Shumper, D Nichols, A Rautins, and Wes Johnson. Roe did it twice.
It's a very exclusive club. James Southerland, despite some hot starts, never got in.

I hope the board can handle it when Cooney's numbers start to fall off.

Yep - one of the things Dakich pointed out during the Indiana game was the way Cooney was pulling the help defense toward him, which lead to an easy bucket for Coleman in the first half. They have to pay attention to him, meaning it was an easy lob pass inside for the layup, and the help D was so far away it couldn't get there quickly enough.

As long as he keeps shooting and moving without the ball, it'll help the whole offense.

I listen to Sidearm for the audio. I usually can't take the ESPN broadcasters but people have been saying good things about Dakich. I really can't stand Duke Vitale. His shtick is so old for me.

It's a very exclusive club. James Southerland, despite some hot starts, never got in.

I'm more shocked G-Mac isn't on the list then Southerland. He had to come very close to 40% his junior year.

As for Cooney I fully and completely expect him to hit a slump where he shoots about 20% over a 5-7 game stretch this year, all shooters slump at some point. As a result of a mid season slump, he should end up shooting about 41% on the season.

I listen to Sidearm for the audio. I usually can't take the ESPN broadcasters but people have been saying good things about Dakich. I really can't stand Duke Vitale. His shtick is so old for me.
Oh don't take that as a Dakich endorsement. I can't stand him. But that was a good observation.

I'm more shocked G-Mac isn't on the list then Southerland. He had to come very close to 40% his junior year.

As for Cooney I fully and completely expect him to hit a slump where he shoots about 20% over a 5-7 game stretch this year, all shooters slump at some point. As a result of a mid season slump, he should end up shooting about 41% on the season.

McNamara's junior year wasn't so good. I know he was between 38 and 39% as a sophomore (his best season) and I'd like to say that his freshman year was the next-best?

We're not pussies! Please. (Oh, wait a minute. I AM a !)

Oh don't take that as a Dakich endorsement. I can't stand him. But that was a good observation.
Based on the comments on this board after the Indiana game, I think you are in the minority on Dakich. I know I like him, and not just because he says good things about JB.

his job is to be the designated shooter - he is going to be asked to take a lot of difficult shots, and he will miss a lot of them. I don't know what his final overall percentage will be, but I expect him to average less than 40 but more than 35 percent in conference play.

Based on the comments on this board after the Indiana game, I think you are in the minority on Dakich. I know I like him, and not just because he says good things about JB.
I don't think the minority is as minor as you think. After all, there was a thread with a title calling him Dick itch.

Cooney is currently averaging seven threes a game. He is 31-64. If he continues at this pace and let's say we play thirty more games, he would need to finish the season 110-273 to shoot 40 percent for the year. This means TC will need to shoot 79-209 the rest of the season. He just needs to shoot 37.8 percent from three to hit those marks.
I don't think the numbers we are seeing from Cooney right now is a hot streak. I think this is legit. I could see him shooting 44 percent this year. He is just an amazing shooter.

Last edited:
Cooney is currently averaging seven threes a game. He is 31-63. If he continues at this pace and let's say we play thirty more games, he would need to finish the season 110-273 to shoot 40 percent for the year. This means TC will need to shoot 79-210 the rest of the season. He just needs to shoot 37.6 percent from three to hit those marks.
I don't think the numbers we are seeing from Cooney right now are a hot streak. I think this is legit. I could see him shooting 44 percent this year. He is just an amazing shooter.
Slight correction, I show Cooney to currently be 31-64.

There have been 4 times SU has had a player attempt 270 or more threes - GMac 3x, and A Rautins. Andy had the best % at 40.7

I Cooney can join the club. I also think that there are enough other options that apposing teams won't concentrate on Cooney. I think he can keep the 40% stat.

I don't think the minority is as minor as you think. After all, there was a thread with a title calling him Dick itch.

Yes, but that thread was started by Milhouse who doesn't like anybody. And there was a lot of support for Dakich even in that post.

Cooney's transformation is something that might never be repeated, so enjoy it.

So far this year, per Pomeroy, the ACC has only two teams doing well in terms of 3pt% defense - Clemson and Duke.

The next three down are NCSt, VT, and WF.

7 of last year's BE teams were above those latter three and two more were around that level.

The ACC isn't the BE yet. I don't expect to see Trevor have as big of decline as some think, at least not one that drops him down below low 40s%.

Time will tell.

Cheers,
Neil

PS, so far this year Miami and BC are amongst the worse. That's 4 games right there. ;)

The ACC isn't the BE yet.

I'd like that 10 times if I could. I dont expect the iron lock past 8 in the rotation for all conference games this year. For that, I am excited about the ACC!

It wouldnt shock me if Trevor makes All-ACC before he graduates, and even possibly this year(even if 3rd team).

Cooney is currently averaging seven threes a game. He is 31-63. If he continues at this pace and let's say we play thirty more games, he would need to finish the season 110-273 to shoot 40 percent for the year. This means TC will need to shoot 79-210 the rest of the season. He just needs to shoot 37.6 percent from three to hit those marks.
I don't think the numbers we are seeing from Cooney right now are a hot streak. I think this is legit. I could see him shooting 44 percent this year. He is just an amazing shooter.

This right here is why I put up that Case of PBR.

Oh, and moqui, love the sig. Love it.

So far this year, per Pomeroy, the ACC has only two teams doing well in terms of 3pt% defense - Clemson and Duke.

The next three down are NCSt, VT, and WF.

7 of last year's BE teams were above those latter three and two more were around that level.

The ACC isn't the BE yet. I don't expect to see Trevor have as big of decline as some think, at least not one that drops him down below low 40s%.

Time will tell.

Cheers,
Neil

PS, so far this year Miami and BC are amongst the worse. That's 4 games right there. ;)
hmmm . . . I can see that I'm talking out both sides of my ass . . . in the September "bold predictions" thread, I predicted Cooney would set the school record for 3 pt percentage, but now I'm predicting he'll drop below 40 in conference play . . . both can't be true (unless he goes like 28 for 30 over the next four games). Given your analysis, I'll stick to my original hopes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom