SU baseball? | Syracusefan.com

SU baseball?

Garrett_TD23

Walk On
It's surprising that SU does not have a baseball team. Any plans in the future to get one going?

No.

I think most people would prefer Men's Hockey instead of Baseball, but we're not planning on adding any Men's sports at this time.

OrangeXtreme said:
No. I think most people would prefer Men's Hockey instead of Baseball, but we're not planning on adding any Men's sports at this time.
What's hockey?

You guys can have our hockey team... Unless we figure out a budget we are gonna lose it

There's a surprising amount of baseball talent in CNY and has been since I played 5 years ago.

Trueblue25 said:
There's a surprising amount of baseball talent in CNY and has been since I played 5 years ago.

A lot more talent than people give it credit for.

rrlbees said:
I must not be most people. I'd love to see baseball on the hill.

You are not alone. While I agree the argument for hockey ( I mean if you can justify having a women's team...), baseball is an excellent option. Lots of homegrown talent that currently goes elsewhere. And you have softball, that plays away games heavy at the front end of the season in warmer climates, to use as an example of how to make it work.

I must not be most people. I'd love to see baseball on the hill.

I agree. Much rather see baseball if there was a realistic choice between the two. It would get us in line with the rest of the ACC who already has it. I've just never been able to get into hockey at all, either college or pro.

Ideally get both hockey and baseball. I'm a little surprised FSU does not have more non-revenue sports. Lacrosse seems to be a growing sport, 3 months ago I was doing some work at FSU and there was a Lacrosse club team practicing. Several years ago NBC aired the college rugby finals which I found surprisingly enjoyable.

It's surprising that SU does not have a baseball team. Any plans in the future to get one going?
The school did have one until the early 1970s, and produced several MLB players (Jim Konstanty, Dave Giusti, Mike Barlow). Author Stephen Crane also played baseball at SU way back when.

Ideally get both hockey and baseball. I'm a little surprised FSU does not have more non-revenue sports. Lacrosse seems to be a growing sport, 3 months ago I was doing some work at FSU and there was a Lacrosse club team practicing. Several years ago NBC aired the college rugby finals which I found surprisingly enjoyable.

So that's 11.7 more scholarships for baseball, and 18 more scholarships for Hockey.

It also means we have to add 30 more Women's scholarships to remain in compliance with Title IX. That's at least 3 more Women's non-revenue sports.

FSU has the same issues. For every non-rev Men's sport, you also have to add non-rev Women's sports to keep the scholarship balance. Usually the Board of Trustees doesn't have to look any farther than "non-revenue" to get their answer.

We've had multiple MLB drafts in the past few years. Namely Scott Blewett of Bville and Kevin McAvoy of Westhill to the Kansas City Royals and Boston Red Sox. These two among others.

Westhill/Marcellus/West Gennessee/Liverpool/FM/CNS/Henninger/B Ville/JD seem to produce his high college level talent fairly often.

I would love to see baseball come back to SU. I'd get a season ticket for that

So that's 11.7 more scholarships for baseball, and 18 more scholarships for Hockey.

It also means we have to add 30 more Women's scholarships to remain in compliance with Title IX. That's at least 3 more Women's non-revenue sports.

FSU has the same issues. For every non-rev Men's sport, you also have to add non-rev Women's sports to keep the scholarship balance. Usually the Board of Trustees doesn't have to look any farther than "non-revenue" to get their answer.
As OE said, Title IX compliance is the big thing. There was a thread on Laxpower not too long ago that said F$U had a Sugar Daddy who would pay for both lacrosse teams if they could get their other Title IX numbers to where they're supposed to be. I guess they still need to work on them.

The school did have one until the early 1970s, and produced several MLB players (Jim Konstanty, Dave Giusti, Mike Barlow). Author Stephen Crane also played baseball at SU way back when.
I am old enough to remember when Syracuse had both a baseball team and collegiate wrestling and had the pleasure of watching Jim Nance wrestle and become the eventual NCAA heavy weight Champion as a sophomore.

My son played Club Baseball for three years at SU (graduated in 2015). They would play other Club teams from around the northeast and travel to play teams like Pitt, Penn State, Albany, Drexel etc. When they had home games they would play at local high schools like Liverpool, Skaneateles, Bishop Ludden etc. It's too bad SU can't have regular D-1 baseball. They belong to an excellent conference for baseball. It would take a while to build up a competitive team but it would be great to see it happen.

If Syracuse was to bring in another mens' sport Baseball makes more sense than Hockey for competition in the ACC. You see more news coverage down here regarding the ACC Baseball Championship than the ACC Lax Championship.

If Syracuse was to bring in another mens' sport Baseball makes more sense than Hockey for competition in the ACC. You see more news coverage down here regarding the ACC Baseball Championship than the ACC Lax Championship.
Don't you blaspheme around here!! :mad:

Don't you blaspheme around here!! :mad:
So are you telling me that you didn't follow UVA Baseball all the way through to their winning of the NCAA championship in 2015. ;)

So are you telling me that you didn't follow UVA Baseball all the way through to their winning of the NCAA championship in 2015. ;)
Oh, I did. But I'm not the one talking how great baseball is on an SU ("We may not have invented Lacrosse, but we sure make it seem like we did.") board.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom