SU Football program | Syracusefan.com

SU Football program

kcsu

Living Legend
The last three weeks have been rough, especially the Clemson loss. ND and Pitt were predictable, and the Pitt game was frustrating as all heck. I have to wonder what would have been the outcome if we had scored at the goal line vs only getting three.
Starting off 6 zip and taking Clemson to the ropes is an indication that SU football is close to being back. We have a great staff; I'd say the best in a very long time and have a very special DC in coach White.

JW is killing it as far as upgrading our facilities and getting the community and former athletes involved in our new project. The ACC is in good shape as a result of the GOR and stands in a solid third place as far as conferences go. The ACC is also changing its scheduling format which will benefit Syracuse and ND is staying independent which is also a positive. The playoff is expanding to 12 teams which provides SU with a punchers chance to make the dance.

Simply put, SU football is in as good a shape as it has been in a very long time.

Going forward I would like to see a few things accomplished.

First, Keep this staff together. Keep everyone of them and do anything to keep coach White, Beck, and Swag. As to Dino give him a 5-year extension but have the base cut back and provide him with an increase in pay that is based on performance. I would tie it to total wins with 6 being the baseline for any increase.

Second, continue to recruit our traditional territories. Love to see the renewed commitment to NJ. I never got the focus we had in earlier Dino years on Hawaii and Texas. As far as I'm concerned, those states are a complete waste of time and resources.

Pound the portal harder. Always be looking and always keep spots open for transfers. I think that 20% of our players can and should come from the portal. Out of 20 Scholies a year I'd like to see 4 transfer kids a year. Why, it builds stability and allows us to target positions of need.

This brings me to our limited NIL resources. Use them for two purposes. First is retention. Keep our best players. Second portal players. As far as HS kids i would be very careful. Look at Texas AM with all of their resources they have whiffed on HS kids.

Bottom line is we are in trending in the right direction so don't change things at this point. Keep on this path and we should be making a bowl every year and once every 5 years have something special happen.

3 to go. I think that all of them are winnable, but we need to get Shrader back.

Let's Go Orange!

Positivity and a healthy perspective are what we need right now. This sort of feels like 1986 in some ways even though we entertained the idea that this could be a 1987 repeat. We won't smell 12-0 in this era with our chronic depth limitations, but we can position ourselves to make the expanded playoffs. Planets will have to align, but not having Clemson every year will help.

I hope you send those thoughts to ADJW and his staff, particularly the emphasis on using financial resources to retain known commodities (players and coaches) and attract proven commodities (portal over HS).

Positivity and a healthy perspective are what we need right now. This sort of feels like 1986 in some ways even though we entertained the idea that this could be a 1987 repeat. We won't smell 12-0 in this era with our chronic depth limitations, but we can position ourselves to make the expanded playoffs. Planets will have to align, but not having Clemson every year will help.

I hope you send those thoughts to ADJW and his staff, particularly the emphasis on using financial resources to retain known commodities (players and coaches) and attract proven commodities (portal over HS).
I have reached out to a couple of the NIL groups and made my thoughts known. JW won't engage in discussions about NIL other than to be supportive of what the groups are doing as that isn't his role.

I have also met with an ambassador as i believe that it what he called himself. He is an ex-player who is heading up the fundraising effort in the CO area. Nice guy and it sounds like there are some very good Mo on this project.

One other thought that i have shared is using some of the sponsorship dollars from companies like JMA and others for NIL.

SU is never going to be in upper echelon of NIL money, but we can have enough that if we use it properly, we can compete which is why I think that the majority of the money should go to proven players.

Weitz wants to spend his money to help build his brand and again putting his money towards a known commodity helps him accomplish his goals. Its why stars are used to promote products.

We are in good shape and stability is the key as far as im concerned. Dino checks enough of the important boxes that i would extend him. But only if we have the resources to surround him with a good staff.

Can't wait for the bball game tonight. But that's for another forum.

Go Orange.

The last three weeks have been rough, especially the Clemson loss. ND and Pitt were predictable, and the Pitt game was frustrating as all heck. I have to wonder what would have been the outcome if we had scored at the goal line vs only getting three.
Starting off 6 zip and taking Clemson to the ropes is an indication that SU football is close to being back. We have a great staff; I'd say the best in a very long time and have a very special DC in coach White.

JW is killing it as far as upgrading our facilities and getting the community and former athletes involved in our new project. The ACC is in good shape as a result of the GOR and stands in a solid third place as far as conferences go. The ACC is also changing its scheduling format which will benefit Syracuse and ND is staying independent which is also a positive. The playoff is expanding to 12 teams which provides SU with a punchers chance to make the dance.

Simply put, SU football is in as good a shape as it has been in a very long time.

First, Keep this staff together. Keep everyone of them and do anything to keep coach White, Beck, and Swag. As to Dino give him a 5-year extension but have the base cut back and provide him with an increase in pay that is based on performance. I would tie it to total wins with 6 being the baseline for any increase.

Second, continue to recruit our traditional territories. Love to see the renewed commitment to NJ. I never got the focus we had in earlier Dino years on Hawaii and Texas. As far as I'm concerned, those states are a complete waste of time and resources.

Pound the portal harder. Always be looking and always keep spots open for transfers. I think that 20% of our players can and should come from the portal. Out of 20 Scholies a year I'd like to see 4 transfer kids a year. Why, it builds stability and allows us to target positions of need.

This brings me to our limited NIL resources. Use them for two purposes. First is retention. Keep our best players. Second portal players. As far as HS kids i would be very careful. Look at Texas AM with all of their resources they have whiffed on HS kids.

Bottom line is we are in trending in the right direction so don't change things at this point. Keep on this path and we should be making a bowl every year and once every 5 years have something special happen.

3 to go. I think that all of them are winnable, but we need to get Shrader back.

Let's Go Orange!
Recruit good OL players, last year and this year Shrader has gotten leveled throwing game winning passes where a player comes in unblocked.
That needs to stop happening.

It's funny how expectations quickly evolve. Obviously the last few weeks have sucked, but if you told us before the season that after 9 games we would be 6-3 (3-2) and bowl eligible and the last three games were simply to improve our bowl tier status, there is not a single person on this board that isn't thrilled about that.

I have reached out to a couple of the NIL groups and made my thoughts known. JW won't engage in discussions about NIL other than to be supportive of what the groups are doing as that isn't his role.

I have also met with an ambassador as i believe that it what he called himself. He is an ex-player who is heading up the fundraising effort in the CO area. Nice guy and it sounds like there are some very good Mo on this project.

One other thought that i have shared is using some of the sponsorship dollars from companies like JMA and others for NIL.

SU is never going to be in upper echelon of NIL money, but we can have enough that if we use it properly, we can compete which is why I think that the majority of the money should go to proven players.

Weitz wants to spend his money to help build his brand and again putting his money towards a known commodity helps him accomplish his goals. Its why stars are used to promote products.

We are in good shape and stability is the key as far as im concerned. Dino checks enough of the important boxes that i would extend him. But only if we have the resources to surround him with a good staff.

Go Orange.

The Athletes Who Care collective, made up of boosters, former athletes and trustees took care of about a dozen football players this year and is targeting about 3 dozen players this summer with a goal of 100 athletes across sports. They are killing it reaching out to former athletes and donors who want to be involved.

e quibble -- and it does not mean I am right -- but why step away from recruiting
One quibble: why step away from Hawaii?
It has (at least initially) beared fruit with an OLine recruit in each of the last two classes: Ellis and Kauhi. Even if it is just a player every other year, ... to me, that is time and resources reasobably well spent. I mean, it is not like Dino is spending a month on Maui. Between Dino and Anae (a native and the BYU connection), I think we can grab some talent from the Aloha State upon occasion (Virginia, I believe, got some, although I am not sure that was from Bronco, Anae or a combo of both).

Agree with you on players from Texas. Colossal waste of time for this program. And always has been.

I said this in another post, but the depth we have on the roster has reached a point where it is allowing us to complete against Top 25 programs after 7-8 physical games in a Power 5 conference. The last decade, when this happened, we often lost in November by 15-30 points.

I, too, am bummed about the results the last three weeks, but at least we competed and were in every game in the fourth quarter against three strong programs (F Pitt!!). We had opportunities galore against Clemson and Pitt, and we did have to ball with a chance to tie against ND with 14 minutes left. Say what you will, that is distinct progress.

So, I guess our depth is not ideal (whose is, other than UGA, Bama and OSU?), but it is vastly improved and we cannot take the foot off the gas in the coming years.

It's funny how expectations quickly evolve. Obviously the last few weeks have sucked, but if you told us before the season that after 9 games we would be 6-3 (3-2) and bowl eligible and the last three games were simply to improve our bowl tier status, there is not a single person on this board that isn't thrilled about that.

We were 5-4 last year after 9 games, losing by a total of 19 combined points. If Shrader had been the QB day 1 do we not beat Rutgers? Our 1st nine games this year were slightly harder, but is a one game improvement thrilling?

We also ended last year at a Bowl team, at a team that finished 19/20, and home against a team that finished 13th. This year are are ending home against a team currently ranked 25/31, at a team currently ranked 29/29, and at a team that is the worst team in conference and 2nd worst P5 team overall. It was a much harder end of year.

It's funny how expectations quickly evolve.

When the night is young.

images

Last call.

1667845851722.jpeg

;)

One quibble: why step away from Hawaii?
It has (at least initially) beared fruit with an OLine recruit in each of the last two classes: Ellis and Kauhi. Even if it is just a player every other year, ... to me, that is time and resources reasobably well spent. I mean, it is not like Dino is spending a month on Maui. Between Dino and Anae (a native and the BYU connection), I think we can grab some talent from the Aloha State upon occasion (Virginia, I believe, got some, although I am not sure that was from Bronco, Anae or a combo of both).

Agree with you on players from Texas. Colossal waste of time for this program. And always has been.

I said this in another post, but the depth we have on the roster has reached a point where it is allowing us to complete against Top 25 programs after 7-8 physical games in a Power 5 conference. The last decade, when this happened, we often lost in November by 15-30 points.

I, too, am bummed about the results the last three weeks, but at least we competed and were in every game in the fourth quarter against three strong programs (F Pitt!!). We had opportunities galore against Clemson and Pitt, and we did have to ball with a chance to tie against ND with 14 minutes left. Say what you will, that is distinct progress.

So, I guess our depth is not ideal (whose is, other than UGA, Bama and OSU?), but it is vastly improved and we cannot take the foot off the gas in the coming years.
Good post and you are correct. We do have solid Hawaii connections between Dino and Bob. Still, it is a reach to land those kids.

Good OP. I think we are positioned well, long term. Disappointing three weeks shouldn't obscure that the goal was always to get to a bowl, and we accomplished that early in the season. Now have to regroup and find a way to get a couple more wins.

I fear that given our station in the national landscape, recruiting depth across all positional units will always be a challenge. Need to improve recruiting at OL / TE positional units -- our recruiting with both groups in terms of quality has lagged, relative to other positions.

Agree with your point about the portal. Land great system fits out of HS [which the staff seems to be doing, and excelling at for some positional units], and supplement with proven transfer commodities via the portal.
We're not that far off, despite the disappointment of the past three games.

Go Orange.
SU can’t direct Athletic Department sponsor dollars to NIL.

SU can’t direct Athletic Department sponsor dollars to NIL.
Understood. But JMA could supplement their investment in Syracuse with a complimentary NIL

It’s about the way the last 2 losses have occurred that is frustrating, it’s just another year where Syracuse can’t seem to get themselves together to end the year. There’s time to change it but your season can’t live and die on a single player every year (Dungey, shrader)

Let's Go Orange!
Great post. I agree with all of it.

Understood. But JMA could supplement their investment in Syracuse with a complimentary NIL

JMA would be tough because I know some of their sponsorship money is tied to wireless update at the dome

However, I get your point and that should be something that is being looked at

Let's Go Orange!
Love the optimism, but until we can build quality depth, we will wear down in November. It's just that simple. Our 1's can be competitive with anyone. We saw that in our 10 win year. It's not a coincidence that that was a year when we suffered no significant injuries. Sure Devito played a handful of quarters, but beyond that, we were freakishly healthy. Our depth, or lack thereof never because an issue.
Defensively we seem to have quality depth at LB, and our depth in the secondary, is second to none. Offensively we are lacking quite a bit. I feel like if we can sustain defensive depth, and focus on getting some serious skill guys, in a couple years, our depth should be enough to avoid these annual November melt downs.

Love the optimism, but until we can build quality depth, we will wear down in November. It's just that simple. Our 1's can be competitive with anyone. We saw that in our 10 win year. It's not a coincidence that that was a year when we suffered no significant injuries. Sure Devito played a handful of quarters, but beyond that, we were freakishly healthy. Our depth, or lack thereof never because an issue.
Defensively we seem to have quality depth at LB, and our depth in the secondary, is second to none. Offensively we are lacking quite a bit. I feel like if we can sustain defensive depth, and focus on getting some serious skill guys, in a couple years, our depth should be enough to avoid these annual November melt downs.
Depth exists on the D not so much on the O however i would have liked to see kids like Allen and the New Mexico transfer get more run. Not sure why Vet has stayed at Center all year. Why no Q or Hatcher at wr. What about Dan at TE. Seems like a lot of kids that have potential have not seen much time yet others who continue to underperform and or are hurt get all the snaps

Not sure why Vet has stayed at Center all year.

Maybe because he’s our best center? Plenty of guys, including Bleich, were given a shot so Vett could move to RT or even as his backup. None worked out.

BTW, the ranking by grade vs Pitt.

Pass Blocking
Vett
Berg
Cruz
Davis
Bleich

Run Blocking
Vett
Berg
Davis
Cruz
Bleich

Maybe because he’s our best center? Plenty of guys, including Bleich, were given a shot so Vett could move to RT or even as his backup. None worked out.

Pass Blocking
Vett
Berg
Cruz
Davis
Bleich

Run Blocking
Vett
Berg
Davis
Cruz
Bleich

There's that

Pass Blocking
Vett
Berg
Cruz
Davis
Bleich

Run Blocking
Vett
Berg
Davis
Cruz
Bleich
Who would be our second best center

Pass Blocking
Vett
Berg
Cruz
Davis
Bleich

Run Blocking
Vett
Berg
Davis
Cruz
Bleich
Bleich had a few penalties too I think - rough day. I'm sure it's a grind for him to play with his health, but he is sort of proof that not all SEC transfers will dominate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom