SU football star reduced to panhandling in downtown Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

SU football star reduced to panhandling in downtown Syracuse

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
Sad

For three years, Louis "Luke" Cain was a star linebacker for the Syracuse University football team, but he is now a panhandler in downtown Syracuse.

Cain told CNY Central's Jim Kenyon that he has been asking for handouts from passersby on the corner of Jefferson and Warren Streets for the past year and a half. He lives at the Oxford Inn shelter for homeless men.

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=835572#.UMZJoYN9KCx

Wonder what GRob was telling Cain here:

Greg+Robinson.jpg

I came across him on Marshall Street about a year ago. Sad story.

Incredibly sad story, it sounds like he was doing some type of drug. What drug destroys the cognitive abilities that quickly and completely?

Geez, that's awful.

At one point he told Kenyon he suffered a brain injury, and later he claimed he said someone placed "something in my drink and it affected me."

Sadly, he may be suffering from some form of mental illness.

Geez, that's awful.

At one point he told Kenyon he suffered a brain injury, and later he claimed he said someone placed "something in my drink and it affected me."

Yeah. When I came across him, he was trying to bum a cigarette off of a friend of mine outside of Chuck's. I don't want to speculate, but he didn't seem... right. Mental illness, drugs, not sure. Don't know.

Hope he gets help. That short article offers enough info to know any clinician will have a lot to sort through. Tons of rule outs.

I wonder if he suffered any concussion's during his career. This was a very disturbing story. He is still so young and to see him fall that far, that fast is very sad.

Incredibly sad story, it sounds like he was doing some type of drug. What drug destroys the cognitive abilities that quickly and completely?

meth?

(not being funny at all)
When he speaks, he sounds like he is from Alabama or some other state in the deep south. Does not sound like someone from Washington DC?
Really a sad story, I hope he gets the help he needs, be it with drugs or mental issues.

Bath salts? :noidea:

Would be nice if SU could offer some help.
S.U. Spokesperson Sue Edson confirmed the University tried to assist Cain and helped to place him at the Oxford Inn. Edson says the University often works with student athletes to help them complete their degrees.

I watched the story tonight on Channel 3 news. Almost brought me to tears. He has a definite mental illness or mental impairment due to drug use. Who knows. He literally looks 45 years old. Sounded like a sweet guy. It would be so cool if they could get him on the sideline for the Pinstripe bowl but I assume the logistics wouldn't make it possible.

Sad

For three years, Louis "Luke" Cain was a star linebacker for the Syracuse University football team, but he is now a panhandler in downtown Syracuse.

Cain told CNY Central's Jim Kenyon that he has been asking for handouts from passersby on the corner of Jefferson and Warren Streets for the past year and a half. He lives at the Oxford Inn shelter for homeless men.

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=835572#.UMZJoYN9KCx

This makes me sick to my stomach

One of my friends took a drug while he was overseas in China that really messed him up. He took it once and was legitimately out of it and has been for the last 5 years.

I'm sure that I am one of many here who would like to help out. Should we be reaching out to someone from SU? If so, who?

There are a lot more homeless people out there than most people realize. Here is an article talking about homeless problems in Syracuse.
http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?list=190258&id=804921

People end up in these shelters for many of the reasons some of the posts above talk about: mental illness, drug and alcohol abuse and some people are just down on their luck. There is a big issue with veterans and not everyone uses the programs available. Some of these people are your former classmates and co-workers. Bottom line comes down to funding. How many people can be helped on an everyday basis. It's pretty sad.

Geez, that's awful.

most homeless people do, i think

I watched the story tonight on Channel 3 news. Almost brought me to tears. He has a definite mental illness or mental impairment due to drug use. Who knows. He literally looks 45 years old. Sounded like a sweet guy. It would be so cool if they could get him on the sideline for the Pinstripe bowl but I assume the logistics wouldn't make it possible.

I'm all for SU doing whatever it can to help him. I would imagine counselling and some type of job placement once he's through a program or drug treatment. But, the idea of a mentally unstable, possible drug addicted homeless man on the sideline during the bowl game...sometimes when people have hit bottom you need to start with baby steps.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2