SU free agent signings | Syracusefan.com

SU free agent signings

Any word on Jordan Martin?

Can't believe Ish did not get drafted, not a speed burner but fast enough, physical, great leaper, strong and good hands. He's gonna get his chance and make the most of it.

Yup, its bizarre , saw wrs from lesser conferences playing against lesser dbs get taken.

Yup, its bizarre , saw wrs from lesser conferences playing against lesser dbs get taken.

It's not that bizarre. You're looking at a player through orange tinted glasses and talent scouts are looking at 100's of WR's from a purely business/production point of view. This is the reason why they're talent scouts and you're a fan. Ish was a very good college football player for us, he never looked like a WR that would be drafted into the NFL, unless someone took a shot at him in the 6th or 7th. Every single team thought the same thing.

It's not that bizarre. You're looking at a player through orange tinted glasses and talent scouts are looking at 100's of WR's from a purely business/production point of view. This is the reason why they're talent scouts and you're a fan. Ish was a very good college football player for us, he never looked like a WR that would be drafted into the NFL, unless someone took a shot at him in the 6th or 7th. Every single team thought the same thing.

Wrong, i have vision beyond a fan and watched most of the draft. There is tons if talent in the draft , but i did see wrs in the 6th and 7th rounds go that didnt have his resume against top FCS teams and his skills of getting off the los and catching the ball in a great catch radius. It is what it is. These gurus make mistakes evety year.

Wrong, i have vision beyond a fan and watched most of the draft. There is tons if talent in the draft , but i did see wrs in the 6th and 7th rounds go that didnt have his resume against top FCS teams and his skills of getting off the los and catching the ball in a great catch radius. It is what it is. These gurus make mistakes evety year.
When did you find time to view all that video.

This.
Professional scouts don't see the same things we see. They don't look for the same things we look for. AET wasn't drafted for a reason. If the scouts made a mistake, he would've made a roster when he had a chance too. He didn't.
I always felt Ish would be a 7th round-FA type of guy. Not because of what I saw on the field, but because people who know much better than I, seemed to think he'd be a 7th round-FA type of guy. If the scouts were wrong, and I hope they are, then he will make a roster. If they're right, then he won't.

What makes you think you have "vision beyond a fan."? Not being sarcastic, just honestly curious what that means, and how you would know. As a fan, we subconsciously tend to view our guys as a notch better than others do. That's why when Phil Steele picks us to win 4 games every year, we scoff, and somehow see a team that can win 7-9 games...but Phil is the one who is usually right, because he doesn't have a horse in the race, and is able to evaluate objectively. The fact that we do it subconsciously means that we don't even realize we're doing it, so how could you, as a self professed fan, be so sure you aren't viewing your guys through orange tinted glasses? I'm guessing that since your username actually uses the name "Ish" in it, that you're maybe just a touch biased.;)

The gurus do make mistakes, and that's why dozens of UFAs make rosters every year. Sadly, recent history shows that most of our UFAs don't end up sticking, which validates the gurus view of SU players.

I hope the current crop proves them wrong.

Exactly, case in point...I love Steve But Alan Lazzard from ISU is a much better receiver and he didn't get drafted either.

What makes you think you have "vision beyond a fan."? Not being sarcastic, just honestly curious what that means, and how you would know. As a fan, we subconsciously tend to view our guys as a notch better than others do. That's why when Phil Steele picks us to win 4 games every year, we scoff, and somehow see a team that can win 7-9 games...but Phil is the one who is usually right, because he doesn't have a horse in the race, and is able to evaluate objectively. The fact that we do it subconsciously means that we don't even realize we're doing it, so how could you, as a self professed fan, be so sure you aren't viewing your guys through orange tinted glasses? I'm guessing that since your username actually uses the name "Ish" in it, that you're maybe just a touch biased.;)

If i carry that fan bias then obviously there are decision makers in the draft that judge our program before our players. Thus , under valuing some of our top prospects based on poor team performance . If you showed a non cuse fan ish's tape against top dbs in a top conference vs some of the late draftees, some would wonder how he isn't a 5-7 rd talent. That said, the overall talent in this years draft was awesome overall when you look at a guy like scarbrough taken in the 7th.

Also, i worry that our skill players will be evaluated as system guys and numbers inflated bc of. Thats BS as most of these receivers are playing in rpo systems, most notably Baker at OU. when you compare his 70% competition % vs Josh allens low 50s its explained by JAs system of pushing the ball down field instead of alot of the short throws in the RPO system.

The gurus do make mistakes, and that's why dozens of UFAs make rosters every year. Sadly, recent history shows that most of our UFAs don't end up sticking, which validates the gurus view of SU players.

I hope the current crop proves them wrong.

Agree, and i agree with your statement of how they "view" our players. Viewed as system guys AET and now Ish. Our program is judged long before player's film is turned on.

This.
Professional scouts don't see the same things we see. They don't look for the same things we look for. AET wasn't drafted for a reason. If the scouts made a mistake, he would've made a roster when he had a chance too. He didn't.
I always felt Ish would be a 7th round-FA type of guy. Not because of what I saw on the field, but because people who know much better than I, seemed to think he'd be a 7th round-FA type of guy. If the scouts were wrong, and I hope they are, then he will make a roster. If they're right, then he won't.
There are always guys scouts miss on. The FAs who make the roster ahead of draftees are proof.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom