SU - Gtown rivalry | Syracusefan.com

SU - Gtown rivalry

This is 5 years old and something I just stumbled upon. It may have been posted before but I don't recall.

Some quick takeaways:
1. Man JB was a nerd back in the day. Thank God for Juli.
2. I love Doug Logan and don't understand why he can't be the Voice of the Orange forever. He cares about SU SO much.
3. I want to play Gtown every single year. Whether we play them in the Dome or in DC, you can cut the intensity with a knife. It's so much fun.

The problem with playing Gtown or Uconn is...we're almost in a lose/lose situation, unless one of them got their act together and fielded a top 25-50 team.

We beat them like we did last year...The wins don't really move the needle...we lose to them, like we did the year before AW and JG...it destroys our record/rpi etc.

Not that I want to play cupcakes all OOC but we did an excellent job finding those top 50 rpi teams who finished top in their small leagues. Those are the teams to play

The problem with playing Gtown or Uconn is...we're almost in a lose/lose situation, unless one of them got their act together and fielded a top 25-50 team.

We beat them like we did last year...The wins don't really move the needle...we lose to them, like we did the year before AW and JG...it destroys our record/rpi etc.

Not that I want to play cupcakes all OOC but we did an excellent job finding those top 50 rpi teams who finished top in their small leagues. Those are the teams to play

I see where you're coming from, but I think every now and then we have to value having fun over cold, hard RPI analysis. If SU/Gtown is played in the Dome on the weekend, its virtually a guaranteed 30k+ crowd. When we play them in DC, we usually have around a 1/3rd of the crowd wearing Orange. It's a matchup that our fans still want and creates so much nostalgia, so why deny it to them?

We beat them like we did last year...The wins don't really move the needle...we lose to them, like we did the year of AW and JG...it destroys our record/rpi etc.

Fixed.

Some quick takeaways:
1. Man JB was a nerd back in the day. Thank God for Juli.
2. I love Doug Logan and don't understand why he can't be the Voice of the Orange forever. He cares about SU SO much.
3. I want to play Gtown every single year. Whether we play them in the Dome or in DC, you can cut the intensity with a knife. It's so much fun.
Doug basically made some impossible "asks" during negotiations that the university unfortunately but rightly had to turn down. It's a shame because he IS the Voice of the Orange.

I see where you're coming from, but I think every now and then we have to value having fun over cold, hard RPI analysis. If SU/Gtown is played in the Dome on the weekend, its virtually a guaranteed 30k+ crowd. When we play them in DC, we usually have around a 1/3rd of the crowd wearing Orange. It's a matchup that our fans still want and creates so much nostalgia, so why deny it to them?
Fun over making the tourny? Idk. I don't think one of these games will shape our tourny chances so I'm with you but they need to get their act together! (Honestly, I love how terrible those programs are right now).

I have a feeling the Hoyas will be back in the mix again soon. Could be wrong but they are players with a lot more names in recruiting with Ewing at the helm than they were with GT3 recently. Can he close is the bigger question. Either way I think they are far from dead in a conference that has really been rock solid and better than some expected.

not in the same league not for top dawg. takes off most of the luster. history ok. relevance not much.

Time to move on. It’s like beating up your little brother now. Doesn’t help our cause which is National Championship. Time to leave the old girlfriend behind

I’ve been to every SU/Georgetown game in the dome the last 16-17 years and we were nowhere close to 30k the last time we played them.

Every game against them, St. John’s, and UConn is no win for us. If we win we are supposed to and if we lose it’s embarrasing. I’m all for playing Nova and we beat them pretty bad in the dome a few years ago, but times change. We have become too big for Georgetown.

i don't want to see it go away. it was once one of the NCAA'S TOP rivalries. but it matters little anymore.

i don't want to see it go away. it was once one of the NCAA'S TOP rivalries. but it matters little anymore.

Less than SU v Colgate?

It's the ONLY game that matters!
I don't care all that much about any other particular game during the season.
They're all pretty much the same...the Orange need to win.
But G-town is a MUST.
This season's comeback was a thing of beauty.
It made the year a success (along with the UConn win).
How good was it to hand that big goof of a coach his first ever loss?!?!

I LOOOOOOAAAAATHE G-town!

It really has gone away. It's only a big game for fans of a certain age. Otherwise, it's just a game. Now, if there could be a big brawl in a future game, that could restart it.

Doug basically made some impossible "asks" during negotiations that the university unfortunately but rightly had to turn down. It's a shame because he IS the Voice of the Orange.
What “asks” you say? If he was so passionate you’d think he’d be willing to negotiate some compromise. Something doesn’t add up.

It really has gone away. It's only a big game for fans of a certain age. Otherwise, it's just a game. Now, if there could be a big brawl in a future game, that could restart it.

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being how the rivalry was in 1989, and 1 being "just another game" we are at a 6 or 7 right now. In other words, we should definitely still play this game.

Our little brother has beaten us 4 out of the past 6. And you shouldn't need overtime to beat your little brother -- you should be able to take care of them in regulation.
No, we are not relations, sir.

I want the game played. But its definitely cool to shelve it for a couple years whenever we feel like it to play another ex Big East foe or top program. The risk-reward factor is not in our favor if we play more than 2 Big East teams in a season particularly if they aren't good and don't help our RPI.

Our little brother has beaten us 4 out of the past 6. And you shouldn't need overtime to beat your little brother -- you should be able to take care of them in regulation.

We were on sanctions and they had a full scholarship allotment and still couldn't beat us at home last year with our worst offensive team in JB's history.

Heck the Pittsburgh games have had more recent buzz and they've been terrible the last 2 years.

I'd rank the following home games ahead of them:

Duke
Virginia
Louisville
Miami
Clemson
Virginia Tech

We drew more for Clemson last year than we did for Georgetown the previous season.

They are so good they are playing in a mid major tournament this winter because they stink so bad. They do nothing to help our profile.

We were on sanctions and they had a full scholarship allotment and still couldn't beat us at home last year with our worst offensive team in JB's history.

Heck the Pittsburgh games have had more recent buzz and they've been terrible the last 2 years.

I'd rank the following home games ahead of them:

Duke
Virginia
Louisville
Miami
Clemson
Virginia Tech

We drew more for Clemson last year than we did for Georgetown the previous season.

They are so good they are playing in a mid major tournament this winter because they stink so bad. They do nothing to help our profile.

OK fine, but you're going to have to break it to Derrick Coleman that you don't want SU to play G'town in DC anymore. He's there with a huge smile on his face from start to finish hamming it up with every Cuse fan that wants to chat with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom