SU hasn’t been in ranked in 4 calendar years…. | Syracusefan.com

SU hasn’t been in ranked in 4 calendar years….

Scooch

Living Legend
December 10th, 2018 was the last time we appeared in the AP top 25.

Prior to that we were last ranked on 11/28/2017.

So for those who didn’t major in math, that’s no rankings in 4 years, and 3 weeks of being ranked in the past 5 years.

This seems bad.

Crazy how much I miss even watching that 2018 team.

I guess it's true, it can always get worse

So for those who didn’t major in math, that’s no rankings in 4 years, and 3 weeks of being ranked in the past 5 years.

This seems bad.

Along these lines…we have not been ranked during the actual Winter Solstice months since 2014.

Along these lines…we have not been ranked during the actual Winter Solstice months since 2014.
I feel bad for Buddy. How didn’t JB put together a complete team while his son was on the team.
Coach Boeheim has been running the program horribly when you see stats like this. Was the last ranked vs. ranked game at the Dome the Duke game with Ennis, Fair and Grant?

This seems bad.
And honestly, that ranking doesn't even count, since it was based on preseason projection and not actual performance. The last regular season Top 25 ranking that we actually earned was the beginning of the 2015-16 season when we won Atlantis. 7 years ago.

And honestly, that ranking doesn't even count, since it was based on preseason projection and not actual performance. The last regular season Top 25 ranking that we actually earned was the beginning of the 2015-16 season when we won Atlantis. 7 years ago.
Not exactly true. We were ranked in the preseason and fell out after a terrible showing in New York. We then won 5 games in a row to get back in the top 25 before bowing out of the rankings after losing to Old Dominion at the dome.

Not exactly true. We were ranked in the preseason and fell out after a terrible showing in New York. We then won 5 games in a row to get back in the top 25 before bowing out of the rankings after losing to Old Dominion at the dome.

I stand corrected. I didn't realize we snuck in that poll that year.

I feel bad for Buddy. How didn’t JB put together a complete team while his son was on the team.
Coach Boeheim has been running the program horribly when you see stats like this. Was the last ranked vs. ranked game at the Dome the Duke game with Ennis, Fair and Grant?

SU was ranked #7 and lost 67-62 to a lousy Georgia Tech team in the Dome on March 4, 2014. This was our inaugural season in the ACC where we started off 25-0 and got our first loss of the season in the Dome against a lousy BC team (the two-tone uni game).

That GT game was the last time we were ranked (in the regular season) moving forward to this date in time once the official start of winter begins on December 21st. Up to then, Syracuse hoops was one thing that could make the long Syracuse winters seemingly less daunting. A thing of past nowadays with the complete irrelevance of SU hoops on the national landscape. :(

That’s depressing. Especially when there is no light at the end of the tunnel. When will we be relevant again? 2 years? 5 years?
I realize we are all spoiled to winning and ranked teams. But I think we’ve suffered enough.

That's so so sad but let's wait for the defenders to say...but but but, only one losing season...like that's the bar at Syracuse Mens Basketball program
To some on here, suggesting that we should regularly MAKE THE TOURNEY on a consistent basis is a sense of entitlement. In a way, its good. Our expectations should reflect where we are at as a program.

Fortunately, unlike the Debbie Downers on here who hate Syracuse, I believe in the school, the community, and all the good resources this program has. We will be back...just got to ride out this year and prob a couple more, I guess.

Things can turn around quick the right attitude at the top and the right hire. From 2007 through 2020, 13 seasons, Alabama was a mediocre SEC team with only one losing season but hadn't been ranked during conference play. They had NBA players, but only had two tourney appearances.

In Oat's second season, he had a top-ten ranked team by the end of the year and in the sweet 16.

SU was ranked #7 and lost 67-62 to a lousy Georgia Tech team in the Dome on March 4, 2014. This was our inaugural season in the ACC where we started off 25-0 and got our first loss of the season in the Dome against a lousy BC team (the two-tone uni game).

That GT game was the last time we were ranked (in the regular season) moving forward to this date in time once the official start of winter begins on December 21st. Up to then, Syracuse hoops was one thing that could make the long Syracuse winters seemingly less daunting. A thing of past nowadays with the complete irrelevance of SU hoops on the national landscape. :(
I appreciate the research. And man oh man, is this depressing. I thought what *I* found was bad, this makes me realize it's so much worse. Seven years (and counting) since we've been a truly relevant program during the thick of the regular season. Yuck.

And as an aside, I don't buy for a second that JB has consciously geared the program to be best in the tourney, forsaking regular season wins. I'm certain that has just been his way to rationalize how our bar for success has been lowered.

I appreciate the research. And man oh man, is this depressing. I thought what *I* found was bad, this makes me realize it's so much worse. Seven years (and counting) since we've been a truly relevant program during the thick of the regular season. Yuck.

And as an aside, I don't buy for a second that JB has consciously geared the program to be best in the tourney, forsaking regular season wins. I'm certain that has just been his way to rationalize how our bar for success has been lowered.
And even in those years we made deep runs, we were a cranky voter away from the NIT.

And even in those years we made deep runs, we were a cranky voter away from the NIT.
Yeah, one the one hand, I don't like it when people diminish the two recent Sweet 16 appearances. We won games, against some good competition.

On the other hand, if we're being honest with ourselves, they were kinda fluky. SU didn't crack a code like some folks suggested. We just won 2-3 games at an opportune time.

It was a lot of fun for a weekend, but it didn't really turn into anything that propelled the program forward. I know, I know, a lot of programs would kill for those runs. At SU we always aspired for more though. Yes, JB set those lofty expectations. It's a blessing and a curse for him.

Sad thing is, they won’t do anything with JB as coach. But if JB leaves, most will likely transfer out.
Depends on if the succession plan is external or internal.

You continue internally if you want to retain the players and recruiting. You go external for a larger candidate pool.

To some on here, suggesting that we should regularly MAKE THE TOURNEY on a consistent basis is a sense of entitlement. In a way, its good. Our expectations should reflect where we are at as a program.

Fortunately, unlike the Debbie Downers on here who hate Syracuse, I believe in the school, the community, and all the good resources this program has. We will be back...just got to ride out this year and prob a couple more, I guess.
No one hates Syracuse. You’re taking it wayyyy too far

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom