SU in Canada after a quarter-century void | Syracusefan.com

SU in Canada after a quarter-century void

SU94

Starter
Of all the positive trends we see in the football program, one of the least-acknowledged initiatives is the program's re-introduction to Canada. Awesome to have Patrick Davis, Matthew Bergeron, Tyrell Richards and Geoff Cantin-Arku already in the program and thrilled to have at least one more coming next fall (Ben Labrosse).

Why did SU ignore Canada from about the mid-90s until the last three years? Laziness? Cultural barriers? Not sure.

Think about this ... just did a quick search (granted via Wiki, so consider the source):
There have been 143 Canadian-born NFL players all-time.
66 of those 143 (46%) entered the NFL since 1995.

And Syracuse University, which is essentially crowned by Toronto (9th biggest population in North America) to the northwest and Montreal (20th largest) to the northeast, has had none of those since Glen Young walked off campus in 1992 (en route for the NFL).

This has to change, and it appears that it just might be, thanks to Dino. In hindsight, what a colossal whiff on the part of Coach P, Robinson, Marrone and Shafer. And shame on the ADs and recruiting coordinators for not asking more questions.

I don't live in Canada, but I used to and people up there love football just like we do. Football in Canada is not anything to scoff at and I think as a whole, our neighbors to the north are learning that there is more to "sport" than hockey. Just look at how far hoops have come in the last 25 years (Devin Brennan-McBride notwithstanding). JAB has figured this out.

Lastly, I sense that Ousmane Bary, who I gather coaches at McGill, can have a heavy say in player/talent identification and ultimately just what our Orange can accomplish in Ontario and Quebec. So, here's to Bary and more True Patriot Love for our Orange(men)!

I have written in threads in the past that we should be looking to land 3 of the top 5 Canadian born players in any given class. Obviously due to our proximity, but also because Canadian's typically graduate high school a year later than Americans, making them a year older/more mature (both physically and mentally).

Of all the positive trends we see in the football program, one of the least-acknowledged initiatives is the program's re-introduction to Canada. Awesome to have Patrick Davis, Matthew Bergeron, Tyrell Richards and Geoff Cantin-Arku already in the program and thrilled to have at least one more coming next fall (Ben Labrosse).

Why did SU ignore Canada from about the mid-90s until the last three years? Laziness? Cultural barriers? Not sure.

Think about this ... just did a quick search (granted via Wiki, so consider the source):
There have been 143 Canadian-born NFL players all-time.
66 of those 143 (46%) entered the NFL since 1995.

And Syracuse University, which is essentially crowned by Toronto (9th biggest population in North America) to the northwest and Montreal (20th largest) to the northeast, has had none of those since Glen Young walked off campus in 1992 (en route for the NFL).

This has to change, and it appears that it just might be, thanks to Dino. In hindsight, what a colossal whiff on the part of Coach P, Robinson, Marrone and Shafer. And shame on the ADs and recruiting coordinators for not asking more questions.

I don't live in Canada, but I used to and people up there love football just like we do. Football in Canada is not anything to scoff at and I think as a whole, our neighbors to the north are learning that there is more to "sport" than hockey. Just look at how far hoops have come in the last 25 years (Devin Brennan-McBride notwithstanding). JAB has figured this out.

Lastly, I sense that Ousmane Bary, who I gather coaches at McGill, can have a heavy say in player/talent identification and ultimately just what our Orange can accomplish in Ontario and Quebec. So, here's to Bary and more True Patriot Love for our Orange(men)!
Not to mention that the kids coming out of Canada are usually 19-20 years old already and still have 4 full years of eligibility. Physically they have a leg up on their peers as true freshman.

I sincerely hope the trend continues with Malick Meiga and Christian Veilleux.

Not to mention that the kids coming out of Canada are usually 19-20 years old already and still have 4 full years of eligibility. Physically they have a leg up on their peers as true freshman.

I sincerely hope the trend continues with Malick Meiga and Christian Veilleux.

I want odds right now.

Meiga - 60/40
Veilleux - 50/50

Who's buying?

Great topic. I wonder what more we can do to target Canada?:

Dino football camp and coaches clinic up there.
Brand SU as "Canada's College Team". :rolleyes:
Hire Ousmane Bary as Director of Canadian Scouting.

Great topic. I wonder what more we can do to target Canada?:

Dino football camp and coaches clinic up there.
Brand SU as "Canada's College Team". :rolleyes:
Hire Ousmane Bary as Director of Canadian Scouting.

Obviously Ousmane is just looking for a competitive game for his JV team.
F17BC63C-47DB-454F-AEE4-DBFD68A6FC7A.gif

Jeff Lowe and Matt Hale last guys.

We were never in it for Jesse Palmer from what I understand

Mac had assistants who'd go north

P got away from that

Dino is getting back to Mac

Jeff Lowe and Matt Hale last guys.

We were never in it for Jesse Palmer from what I understand

Wasn’t Lowe a Liverpool, NY kid?

Lowe was from Liverpool. Was in high school with my best friend. I was shocked SU offered considering he wasn’t very good. I saw him play in a, I guess you’d call it a pickup game, against my friend and he stormed off because he couldn’t get open against my friend. Unfortunately I was recovering from a dislocated knee at the time so I couldn’t play.

You are correct

For some reason I am thinking of a WR late 90 early 00 that was Canadian
You are likely thinking of Pat Woodock (career stats below), a very proud Syracuse alum. He is a very highly regarded trainer here in Ottawa and still bleeds Orange from what I hear. The Pilon brothers were also there from Ottawa in the late '90's.

1997SyracuseBig EastWR1223216.0023216.00
1998SyracuseBig EastWR11716022.92716022.92
1999SyracuseBig EastWR102440216.832-12-6.002639015.03
2000SyracuseBig EastSRWR112945315.626233.803547613.62

You are correct

For some reason I am thinking of a WR late 90 early 00 that was Canadian
Pat Woodcock, from Ottawa. Caught 62 balls, 7 TD at SU. Played for the Giants for a few games then enjoyed a standout career in the CFL with Montreal, Ottawa, Hamilton and Edmonton. Won a Grey Cup in ‘02. I should have noted him in the OP, but last posted roster on Cuse.com was 2001.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom