SU/JAB: "Officially" King of the Comeback | Syracusefan.com

SU/JAB: "Officially" King of the Comeback

SU94

Starter
Some bias here, but I don’t think there is a program out there with more big double-digit comeback wins over the years than SU.
The Bryant and Buffalo wins earlier this season were nice and necessary. But they don't compare to this list.
If I am missing any biggies, list them below.

• Today/Notre Dame (Down 20 with ~17 minutes left)
  • Virginia/2016 Elite 8 (The Gold Standard, down 16 near half)
  • Gonzaga/2016 Sweet 16 (Down 9 with 6:28 left, underrated comeback against heady squad)
  • Virginia Tech/2015 (Silent G buzzer beater, down 13 with 6:33 left)
  • Kansas/2008 (Trailed by 11 near half in Kansas City)
  • BYU/2004 (Trailed by 11 in 1st half, Gerry erupts for 43 1st round of NCAAs)
  • Oklahoma State/2003 (Trailed by 17 in 1st half)
  • Rutgers/2003 (Down 12 with 13+ minutes left in Carmelo’s last game in Dome)
  • Georgetown/2006 (BE Tourney, Down 15 at half)
  • Wake Forest at MSG (Down 10 with 10 minutes to play, win Pre-Season NIT)
For all the younglings, we rarely ever trailed like this in the 80s and 90s.
And this shows that JAB can coach at least a little bit. Those are some big-time programs (excluding Rutgers) and coaches in there.

Last edited:
I remember we came really close to a comeback for the ages against Witchita State but couldn't pull it out. Anyone remember the details of that one?

I remember we came really close to a comeback for the ages against Witchita State but couldn't pull it out. Anyone remember the details of that one?
Syracuse (7-1) held the Shockers to just one field goal in the final 9:24 and went on a 21-2 run to tie it at 61 with 1:48 left before a stunning miss by Demetris Nichols on a breakaway layup foiled the comeback. (AP)

I remember a game a looong time ago, Otis Hill was in it, but we were away and down by 16 in the second half. I was astonished that we ended up winning that game!

This was a great victory with a lot on the line.

The John Gillon 43 point game vs NC State was a great comeback. We were down 75-59 with 8:44 left
We were down 12 early in the Feb 2017 game at Clemson (Tyus Battle game-ending jumper to win 82-80).

Some bias here, but I don’t think there is a program out there with more big double-digit comeback wins over the years than SU.
The Bryant and Buffalo wins earlier this season were nice and necessary. But they don't compare to this list.

• Gonzaga/2016 Sweet 16 (Down 9 with 6:28 left, underrated comeback against heady squad)
And this shows that JAB can coach at least a little bit. Those are some big-time programs (excluding Rutgers) and coaches in there.
First let me say this is an excellent post with some very good research and insight. The only point that I have a problem with is the " JB can coach at least a little bit". I am absolutely a 100% JB HOF coach believer but I question several of his decisions this year. He didn't just discover Kadary, Braswell and Ajak on the bench today. They have been there all year and way, way under utilized. Yes they are rough when hitting the floor for two or three minutes every couple of games. They need to play to develop and polish their skills more than once a week or so. What happened to Woody, Frank and Edwards? This team need s options. We got extremely lucky today with Braswell and Kadary. This is a good team, a lot better than just the 5 players that start. I am not questioning the starters but when the going gets rough with the starters, look to other options. We have run out of runway, so we need to be sharp and finish the regular season in a BANG. Duke's win tonight makes our win on Monday huge! Lets go Orange!!!!

Great rundown! I remember all of these!

At Rutgers in 2005 we were down 18 at half and won.

Pitt in 2003, we were down 12 at halftime.

Notre Dame in 2005 we were down the whole game. I don’t remember by how much, but the way we were shooting it felt like a lot.

I remember a big comeback at Georgetown in 2003 too, where we eventually won in OT.

We've had a lot of great comebacks but so have other schools. Is there some database that would keep track of their comebacks?

We were down 12 early in the Feb 2017 game at Clemson (Tyus Battle game-ending jumper to win 82-80).
In 2016, trailed 11-0 to start the game, but won 64-62 at at #1 Duke.
That said, I view that a bit different that yesterday's win, trailing by double-digits in the 2nd half.

2001 I think we were down 17 with 9 minutes to go at Pitt and won.

We've had a lot of great comebacks but so have other schools. Is there some database that would keep track of their comebacks?
Did you mean comebacks against us? Because it seems like there were a lot of those, but maybe that's because those types of losses get multiplied in my memory.

First let me say this is an excellent post with some very good research and insight. The only point that I have a problem with is the " JB can coach at least a little bit". I am absolutely a 100% JB HOF coach believer but I question several of his decisions this year. He didn't just discover Kadary, Braswell and Ajak on the bench today. They have been there all year and way, way under utilized. Yes they are rough when hitting the floor for two or three minutes every couple of games. They need to play to develop and polish their skills more than once a week or so. What happened to Woody, Frank and Edwards? This team need s options. We got extremely lucky today with Braswell and Kadary. This is a good team, a lot better than just the 5 players that start. I am not questioning the starters but when the going gets rough with the starters, look to other options. We have run out of runway, so we need to be sharp and finish the regular season in a BANG. Duke's win tonight makes our win on Monday huge! Lets go Orange!!!!
The issue with your post is that we don’t see practice, we don’t have medical reports, etc.

Nichols missed an easy layup in the last seconds that would have gotten us the lead

Remember that day well. My buddies and I racked up about a 600 dollar bar tab at Faegans before the game. Pretty sure that game ended up being the difference between making and missing the tournament that year.

The issue with your post is that we don’t see practice, we don’t have medical reports, etc.
That’s where JB determines playing time. Can’t say they should be playing if we can’t filter through the qualifiers. IMO, JB wants to win more than anyone on the bench. To think he doesn’t play guys whom he is confident can help him win is silly, at best.
As fans, we tend to focus on positive plays, but we likely miss lots of small negative plays that, to a coach, detract from/ or negate, the positives.

2002 NIT against Butler we were down double figures and come back and won. Fantastic atmosphere at the Dome that night. Maybe the best crowd ever for an SU game in terms of quality vs. quantity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom