SU just shook me down for more money | Syracusefan.com

SU just shook me down for more money

ruggerpa

Walk On
As you can see, I don't post or comment here often. I am a frequent reader and enjoy the conversations. opinions and insights.

I have been a lifelong fan of SU Athletics and long time season ticket holder for Football & Basketball.. Today, SU & the Dome have shaken my support.

Earlier today, I received a phone call from the ticket office regarding my parking pass for the football season...the tickets and pass have been paid for months ago... They decided they want more money from me. They said the parking lot I am in has a NEW minimum "donation" required of $300 (the parking pass is $200) and I need to pay it. They said the "good news" is that since I pay a donation already for my seats, that money will be applied to the parking lot donation as part of the minimum required. I only owe another $30. (So, the parking lot minimum donation is HIGHER then the tickets donation??? How does THAT make sense)

I pointed out that I paid my bill in full months ago and asked why this new fee was not included, like my ticket donation is. He said they couldn't include it because 1) it's a different kind of donation & 2) people pay different donation amounts and some pay more donation then they are required, so they need to see what I did. I pointed out that they KNEW what my tickets, parking pass, ticket donation and parking lot donation minimum all add up to. That should be what is shown on the total bill... I feel this maneuver by SU is illegal, frankly

Some will say, what's the big deal it's only $30. It's not the money, it's the principle.

HEY SU! Instead of screwing over the people that actually go to the games), why not do things to make more people WANT to go to the games!

Last edited:
As you can see, I don't post or comment here often. I am a frequent reader and enjoy the conversations. opinions and insights.

I have been a lifelong fan of SU Athletics and long time season ticket holder for Football & Basketball.. Today, SU & the Dome have shaken my support.

Earlier today, I received a phone call from the ticket office regarding my parking pass for the football season...the tickets and pass have been paid for months ago... They decided they want more money from me. They said the parking lot I am in has a NEW minimum "donation" required of $300 (the parking pass is $200) and I need to pay it. They said the "good news" is that since I pay a donation already for my seats, that money will be applied to the parking lot donation as part of the minimum required. I only owe another $30. (So, the parking lot minimum donation is HIGHER then the tickets donation??? How does THAT make sense)

I pointed out that I paid my bill in full months ago and asked why this new fee was not included, like my ticket donation is. He said they couldn't include it because 1) it's a different kind of donation & 2) people pay different donation amounts and some pay more donation then they are required, so they need to see what I did. I pointed out that they KNEW what my tickets, parking pass, ticket donation and parking lot donation minimum all add up to. That should be what is shown on the total bill... I feel this maneuver by SU is illegal, frankly

Some will say, what's the big deal it's only $30. It's not the money, it's the principal.

HEY SU! Instead of screwing over the people that actually go to the games), why not do things to make more people WANT to go to the games!

Parking is probably the absolute worst thing Syracuse does. Coming from someone with a lot of knowledge in the tickets/parking/donation realm - them raising minimums on donations for parking and subsequently lowering donations on the tickets was a horrid move. They do not have a very good system for keeping track of donations

Some will say, what's the big deal it's only $30. It's not the money, it's the principal.

It's ballsy. I wonder what would happen if you refused to pay.

Parking is probably the absolute worst thing Syracuse does. Coming from someone with a lot of knowledge in the tickets/parking/donation realm - them raising minimums on donations for parking and subsequently lowering donations on the tickets was a horrid move. They do not have a very good system for keeping track of donations
Agree. The biggest problem the coaching staff has competing against other schools for players is poor attendance.

The focus right now should be on what can be done to retain existing fans and bring more people on board. Worry about squeezing more dollars out of the fan base once the program has established itself again and become a consistent winner.

Major fail.

Agree. The biggest problem the coaching staff has competing against other schools for players is poor attendance.

The focus right now should be on what can be done to retain existing fans and bring more people on board. Worry about squeezing more dollars out of the fan base once the program has established itself again and become a consistent winner.

Major fail.

They need to blow up parking IMO - start over

Surprised you’re just learning about this now. I was certain these price increases went into effect last year. Minimum donation to park in the Fine/West lot increased by $175 to $300. That’s on top of the parking fee. Many weren’t pleased. But as someone pointed out that’s pennies compared to what you’d pay for a donatiion to park near the stadium at, say, even Rutgers.

Here’s an RU supporter griping about parking increases. He pays $350 as a gift for each seat and an additional $60 per game to park. But that puts him in the yellow lot, which is four lots removed from the stadium, if you want to park in the R Lot next to the stadium, you need to purchase a certain number of season tickets, have a certain number of priority points and pay about $1,200 per car. I chose Rutgers so folks here couldn’t say, well, the product is so much better.

A post about parking fees for Rutgers football: whoda thunk it?

Here’s an RU supporter griping about parking increases. He pays $350 as a gift for each seat and an additional $60 per game to park. But that puts him in the yellow lot, which is four lots removed from the stadium, if you want to park in the R Lot next to the stadium, you need to purchase a certain number of season tickets, have a certain number of priority points and pay about $1,200 per car. I chose Rutgers so folks here couldn’t say, well, the product is so much better.

A post about parking fees for Rutgers football: whoda thunk it?
Buttgers

I certainly understand your frustration as I think the current structure for the parking system is a complete mess and even though its cheap compared to some other D1 schools most of those are top end programs (save for the Rutgers example noted by Cuseguy). All that said SU has unsurprisingly provided you with bad information. The new minimum donation actually went into effect last season and for any West lots the minimum orange pack donation is now $300.00 along with the $200.00 for actual pass itself. SU however is inept when it comes to these things and they forgot to charge some of the pass holders the new fee last year and by the time they caught it, it was to late. It appears you were one of the lucky ones who got granfathered in last year. This year they made sure that every paid the new parking costs which is why you owe the additional $30.00 dollars after you subtract your preferred ticket costs as they allow preferred costs to be used as a credit against the higher orange pack donation as you noted in your post. The reason you just found about it now is the cost increase is from the increased orange pack donation, the actual pass itself stayed the same price. The orange pack donations are due by the end of the month if you want to reserve a parking pass which is why they likely called you now.

In your case SU simply did a bad job in notifying you of the change and then screwed it up further by not having it on your first bill. They are in correct that for you being a preferred season ticket holders makes your increase very minimal but I understand your confusion and frustration.

It went up to $300 last Fall. You got lucky they didn't collect last year. Not sure what the issue is...pay the money.

Like I said in my original post, it isn't about the $30. I paid it. What I take issue with is I paid my bill in full months ago. They sent an email weeks ago saying confirm my address because tickets and pass will be mailed soon... then they call and tell me I need to send more money. They knew about long before yesterday but decided to wait until the last moment to contact me about it.

For the record, my attorney told me that it isn't legal to do that and I don't have to pay it. But I paid it anyway

Like I said in my original post, it isn't about the $30. I paid it. What I take issue with is I paid my bill in full months ago. They sent an email weeks ago saying confirm my address because tickets and pass will be mailed soon... then they call and tell me I need to send more money. They knew about long before yesterday but decided to wait until the last moment to contact me about it.

For the record, my attorney told me that it isn't legal to do that and I don't have to pay it. But I paid it anyway

It's not a big conspiracy. They didn't necessarily "know" then. What likely happened is they ran a report and saw X number of accounts didn't have enough donation $ in to receive your level of parking. The thing is people can have a $0 donation and get your parking if they donate to the OC separately. They probably ran the report now to see whose levels weren't high enough and found a few accounts that needed to up their donations

You consulted your attorney on this...

You consulted your attorney on this...
giphy.gif

LOL... No I didn't specifically contact an attorney about this... My Brother is my attorney and I was talking about it while we were hanging out.

Anyway, I paid the money..still believe they should have had it on the original bill and hope they do next year.

It's behind me now and time to start gearing up to root for the Orange at the Home Opener

It went up to $300 last Fall. You got lucky they didn't collect last year. Not sure what the issue is...pay the money.

The issue is the way they did it. If you get a bill from someone, you pay the bill, and then they write you back later saying that you owe them more, that's a terrible way to do business. I don't care what kind of business you are in, that's awful.

The issue is the way they did it. If you get a bill from someone, you pay the bill, and then they write you back later saying that you owe them more, that's a terrible way to do business. I don't care what kind of business you are in, that's awful.
Mistakes happen. Are they cheating him? No. He actually (as described) got a discount last year. I guess I'm a little more forgiving of a mistake. I personally treat SU as family and not some cold business that is failing at billing processing.

Seriously some of you need to reassess things if this rates as a huge issue.

Stupid decision by the AD.
I feel for you.
Hope somebody from the AD reads this and PMs you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom