SU Lacrosse Pipeline Series | Syracusefan.com

SU Lacrosse Pipeline Series

I was lucky enough to attend a WG practice and feel honoured to have learned from the best, what Coach shared with me that day will stay with me forever and I still use today! It didn't come down to what drills I learned but an aura and philosophy.

He was my gym teacher back in the day. Recruited me last minute a little for lacrosse one season when he lost some kids for disciplinary reasons right before the start of the season, but I wasn't really interested. It would have required quitting my job at the time. Good dude though.

I'm confused by the statement that only 10 of his players didn't go on to play lacrosse in college. I'm pretty sure there were ten guys on the team my senior year that never played competitively after that.

He was my gym teacher back in the day. Recruited me last minute a little for lacrosse one season when he lost some kids for disciplinary reasons right before the start of the season, but I wasn't really interested. It would have required quitting my job at the time. Good dude though.

I'm confused by the statement that only 10 of his players didn't go on to play lacrosse in college. I'm pretty sure there were ten guys on the team my senior year that never played competitively after that.
Respectfully, I doubt that. Almost every WG player goes on to play in college, even if it's D3 or club.

Respectfully, I doubt that. Almost every WG player goes on to play in college, even if it's D3 or club.
Alrighty then. I'll put aside my firsthand experience and knowledge of my time at West Genny in favor of this article's statement I guess.

Alrighty then. I'll put aside my firsthand experience and knowledge of my time at West Genny in favor of this article's statement I guess.
I just think most at least play club & that he's probably counting that. Even if it's club at a school that also has a varsity team. I've known of few WG grads playing for SUNYIT when they were still a club team that barely played at WG outside of mop-up time. Same at Utica College. Just a couple examples. You'd obviously know better having seen it 1st hand though, just doesn't seem plausible that there'd be 10 on one team. I also wonder if he doesn't count kids who played another sport in college against the 10.

I just think most at least play club & that he's probably counting that. Even if it's club at a school that also has a varsity team. I've known of few WG grads playing for SUNYIT when they were still a club team that barely played at WG outside of mop-up time. Same at Utica College. Just a couple examples. You'd obviously know better having seen it 1st hand though, just doesn't seem plausible that there'd be 10 on one team. I also wonder if he doesn't count kids who played another sport in college against the 10.
A lot of guys never even made it to college. :noidea:

Plus, I know of guys that went to schools that didn't have lacrosse, or they went to a D1 school for academic reasons and then didn't play anymore. Or they just didn't want to at that point in their life anymore.

They've got to be counting it weird.

A lot of guys never even made it to college. :noidea:

Plus, I know of guys that went to schools that didn't have lacrosse, or they went to a D1 school for academic reasons and then didn't play anymore. Or they just didn't want to at that point in their life anymore.

They've got to be counting it weird.
if that 10 is an accurate count than I am 1 out of those 10. I can't believe that number to be true. I played lacrosse my whole life at wg and when your younger all you plan on doing is playing college lacrosse but eventually when you don't play other sports and play lacrosse all year round you get tired of it. I decided I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and just wanted to go to community college and stopped playing. I know I'm not the only one in this boat.

Wow, how many seniors were on the team that year? There were only 8 seniors on the team this year and 32 on the entire team.

West Genesee Spring 2017 Roster

Wow, how many seniors were on the team that year? There were only 8 seniors on the team this year and 32 on the entire team.

West Genesee Spring 2017 Roster
Now I'm debating cracking out the yearbook and doing some Facebook stalking to figure this out for sure.

Anyway, my bigger point is, Mr. Messere's accomplishments stand on their own. They don't need an outlandish claim like only ten of his players didn't go on to play in college. That doesn't make any sense over a 40 year career. Let's say half of the 32 player varsity roster represents a unique player that hasn't been counted before. A 40 year career X 16 players = 640 players. I'm supposed to buy, given that so many kids don't go to college, so many kids enter the military right after highschool, so many kids go to college but aren't good enough to play or don't want to play anymore, given all of that I'm supposed to buy that only nine kids (one of the ten posted in this thread) in 40 years didn't play college lacrosse? I'm not buying that.

I'm not debating that Mr. Messere is a great coach. He clearly is. But he doesn't need an impossible statistic to prove his greatness. It just sounds dumb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom