SU should not be in the ACC | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

SU should not be in the ACC

yeah it's a terrific conference but SU will never be competitive in either F B or B.B. Not too many will agree but unfortunately it's reality. SU will never be able to recruit a many top players in FB as the top Acc teams. They will continue to be FB doormats and only occasionally be able to compete in BB Enough of the kool aid going back to big east would be better for both programs
Are you aware that the Big East hasn't had football since 2013?

Are you proposing that all those schools start FCS football programs?

Finwad32, congratulations on a truly great thread. Let me ask you, what was going through your head as you typed your reply to the OP? What emotions are you feeling right now??
OrangePA , good questions, good questions... Well, first and foremost, complete and utter befuddlement overcame me immediately. It was, quite honestly, a monumental undertaking just to form a response initially. Once the situation had been diagnosed, with complete certitude I thought the OP's post to be a prod for debate.

Now, in light of the events since, I'm filled with satisfaction knowing the vast majority of the board was on the same page as I. Also, a touch of sorrow for our OP, whose been viciously demoralized since.

Henceforth, I believe we should all take stock of our emotions before penning melodramatic threads.

OrangePA , good questions, good questions... Well, first and foremost, complete and utter befuddlement overcame me immediately. It was, quite honestly, a monumental undertaking just to form a response initially. Once the situation had been diagnosed, with complete certitude I thought the OP's post to be a prod for debate.

Now, in light of the events since, I'm filled with satisfaction knowing the vast majority of the board was on the same page as I. Also, a touch of sorrow for our OP, whose been viciously demoralized since.

Henceforth, I believe we should all take stock of our emotions before penning melodramatic threads.
tumblr_n56e8u8p6X1qff46jo3_500.gif

Finwad32... I'd like to say... you the real MVP of this thread

The OP is ridiculous. Obviously. But we are 23-27 in our last 50 regular season acc games. It's not all sanctions. It's a valid discussion as to the ability we have to be an elite ACC hoops team. We have not been that yet. At all. And a coaching change looms..

It's not *that* valid. For a couple decades SU was the top program in the best conference in college hoops. We have the best facilities and one of the 5 biggest fanbases in the sport. In 2 of our "off" regular seasons we made the Final 4.

It'll be OK. Even the best programs have a rough patch.

I don't agree with the over the top aspect of the OP, but I can see bball slipping and staying down below the level we've grown accustom to. The ACC should only help the football program, but the basketball program is currently in the middle of a confluence of bad factors...sanctions, coaching questions, poor recruiting, poor results, etc. Maybe it's just all those things, but maybe our move to the ACC has had something to do with our lesser results? With true blue bloods in the conference, something we didn't have to deal with in the BE, we aren't the top dog any more. We can be the 3rd banana, but that's our ceiling. And being so far from the center of the ACC, I sometimes wonder if we're too much of an outsider in this bball league to have consistent elite success. We really need the JB to Hop transition to have immediate and strong on-court success or we do face a lengthy stay in mediocrity. In the BE, we could always rely on being in the middle of some of the best rivalries in college hoops and our recruiting footprint was more a part of the conference footprint.

Hopefully this is all just a really bad stretch, but the results have been trending way down with our performance against power 5+1 programs, in the ACC and overall quality of play. It's a tenuous position to be in with a legendary coach at the end of his coaching line.

yeah it's a terrific conference but SU will never be competitive in either F B or B.B. Not too many will agree but unfortunately it's reality. SU will never be able to recruit a many top players in FB as the top Acc teams. They will continue to be FB doormats and only occasionally be able to compete in BB Enough of the kool aid going back to big east would be better for both programs
many sorrys. I lost my head after drinking 6 genny horse ale beers. im just so sick of seeing other teams in bowls and su not being one of them. and the crap with the bb team puts both programs in what seems to be the worst time ever. to amend my terrible post i have donated a large sum of money to the Inaugaration,. Sorry

many sorrys. I lost my head after drinking 6 genny horse ale beers. im just so sick of seeing other teams in bowls and su not being one of them. and the crap with the bb team puts both programs in what seems to be the worst time ever. to amend my terrible post i have donated a large sum of money to the Inaugaration,. Sorry
I was thinking a snickers bar was in order

Lightweight.

The OP is ridiculous. Obviously. But we are 23-27 in our last 50 regular season acc games. It's not all sanctions. It's a valid discussion as to the ability we have to be an elite ACC hoops team. We have not been that yet. At all. And a coaching change looms..
Yeah! Only 15 of the 27 were because of the sanctions. But for the NCAA giving us PSU's punishment, we would be an uncompetitive 38-12 w/ a mere 1 Final Four. We should close up shop now.

seeing the way you all jumped down the throat of the OP brings a tear to my eye.

its like a father watching his kids become all grown up and successful.

looks like my semi-retirement from the mainstream boards can continue.

but...

th

Yikes, this one got a little ugly.

I hate the ACC, but it's the best of a whole lot of worse options.

upload_2017-1-17_12-48-20.jpeg
;):)

You realize you're being trolled, right?

Why didn't mods just delete or lock this thread?

I don't know why anyone would be surprised that SU basketball has momentarily taken a step back while in the ACC.

Old Big East of the 80s - SU took a backseat to Georgetown
Middle Big East of the 90s and early 00s - SU took a backseat to UConn
Resurgent Big East of 2006-2013 - SU took a backseat to Louisville and UConn

At no point in time did SU have to contend with the likes of both a Duke and UNC in addition to a third powerhouse like Louisville.

Now add to the mix a soon to be retiring HoF Coach and the NCAA sanctions and we have what we have.

As for football, I continue to maintain far too many posters on this board overestimate how good we were from 1987-1998. And while what we have been since is well below what we should be now, I see those teams from 1987-1998 likely winning the current Coastal most years but usually lose to the Atlantic division winner year after year in the conference championship game while if in the Atlantic at best finish second or third.

As for the OP statement that we never should have joined the ACC, well as others have pointed out - just look at UConn for why that is an idiotic statement.

Cheers,
Neil

Welcome back Liverpool looks good this year.
Hope your back.
Was wondering where ya were!

Been lurking on the odd occasion but resisting the urge to log in and spend way too much time here once again. One never truly leaves this place do they?

Reds are a work in progress much like our beloved football program but we'll get there in both. AFCON absentees hurting us though and not sure we can catch the Chavs but we'll know more after the 31st. Feel pretty confident in my head coaches for both though.

Threads like this are brilliant though especially since OP seems to be taking it well after the fact so all in fun now. Had to through a Devo shout out in the Clemson thread as well.

Been lurking on the odd occasion but resisting the urge to log in and spend way too much time here once again. One never truly leaves this place do they?

Reds are a work in progress much like our beloved football program but we'll get there in both. AFCON absentees hurting us though and not sure we can catch the Chavs but we'll know more after the 31st. Feel pretty confident in my head coaches for both though.

Threads like this are brilliant though especially since OP seems to be taking it well after the fact so all in fun now. Had to through a Devo shout out in the Clemson thread as well.
Your boys are just one creative MF away from being title winner this year.
They have played all their tough road matches except at Man City.
If Chelsea loses some matches you can catch them. All these cup matches are wearing the team down and the Countino injury came at a bad time in December.
Liverpool should finish top 4 which is good.
That match at Old Trafford was a good result even though they got the late equalizer.
Liverpool drew at Tottenham/Man U and won at Arsenal/Chelsea that is insane.
You guys want to beat Southampton next week in the cup semi down 0-1.

Your boys are just one creative MF away from being title winner this year.
They have played all their tough road matches except at Man City.
If Chelsea loses some matches you can catch them. All these cup matches are wearing the team down and the Countino injury came at a bad time in December.
Liverpool should finish top 4 which is good.
That match at Old Trafford was a good result even though they got the late equalizer.
Liverpool drew at Tottenham/Man U and won at Arsenal/Chelsea that is insane.
You guys want to beat Southampton next week in the cup semi down 0-1.

17 games left, 10 at Anfield including Chelsea but 7 points is a big gap if Costa can somehow manage to avoid red cards this season.

As much as Coutinho can be a game changer he's still and auxiliary player that can be marked out. Our bigger misses have been Matip through injury and now fifa uncertainty due to refusing afcon duty, Hendo in the engine room ticking play over (united wouldve beaten us without him and his suspension cost us 13-14 title), and now Mane gone for Afcon whom has been brilliant for us. We'll still require a bit more depth to compete perennially in all comps but we've finally got the coach and financially stability to do just that. Not sure if we'll sign anyone before Summer though.

Also, that united goal was offsides in the build up but a draw wasn't the worst result.

Now, onward to a strong finish recruiting into national signing day for Babers and the boys! I'm always the optimist but truly am impressed with how the staff is filling needs and with the talent/skill they're filling it with.

Let's go Orange! C'mon you Reds!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom