SU Sports Complex | Syracusefan.com

SU Sports Complex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rick, I assume this is your way of saying if you want success at SU please underwrite the next phase of athletic largesse?

Rick, I assume this is your way of saying if you want success at SU please underwrite the next phase of athletic largesse?

Not really. Since the email went to donors I figured I’d put the donation info here in case there were others that wanted to donate. I think SU needs to widen their reach.

Not really. Since the email went to donors I figured I’d put the donation info here in case there were others that wanted to donate. I think SU needs to widen their reach.
How much you in for?

John A. Lally Athletics Complex

To contribute or be contacted for additional information please email the ’Cuse Athletics Fund at CAF at syr.edu.

Or

Contact the Cuse Athletics Fund at 315-443-1419
You can also give online at this link by selecting the Athletic Complex for your designation, if anyone is still even excited about this project after reading this thread.

Last edited:
If ZGF, same firm as these:

Thanks for posting this. I urge everyone to take the time to sit through it and better understand what we are up against and why a facility like this is so important for Syracuse to become/remain competitive in college football.

You can see step by step all the features we currently do not have and desperately need to keep up with the rest of the P5 programs.

I know there has been a lot of angst about a couple of concept drawings of the outside of the building. Maybe that is justified. Maybe not.

But for this specific building, I think it is more about what is inside that what it looks like from the outside. They didn't bother to show the building from the outside in the original link I posted or in this video for a reason. It isn't really important.

I was just in Raleigh and saw the NC State football operations center. It is located outside one of the end zones of their stadium. Again, not much to look at from the outside (just like the Melo Center or our IPF) but the facility is not intended to wow fans walking or driving by it. It is intended to be a transformational facility in terms of function.

There are so many things this video shows that SU currently does not have or has but not done anywhere close to the level or quality of this facility.

If you want to compete in P5 football, you have to have a facility like this. Players see this when they visit all our competitors. We need to address this to compete.

Thanks for posting this. I urge everyone to take the time to sit through it and better understand what we are up against and why a facility like this is so important for Syracuse to become/remain competitive in college football.

You can see step by step all the features we currently do not have and desperately need to keep up with the rest of the P5 programs.

I know there has been a lot of angst about a couple of concept drawings of the outside of the building. Maybe that is justified. Maybe not.

But for this specific building, I think it is more about what is inside that what it looks like from the outside. They didn't bother to show the building from the outside in the original link I posted or in this video for a reason. It isn't really important.

I was just in Raleigh and saw the NC State football operations center. It is located outside one of the end zones of their stadium. Again, not much to look at from the outside (just like the Melo Center or our IPF) but the facility is not intended to wow fans walking or driving by it. It is intended to be a transformational facility in terms of function.

There are so many things this video shows that SU currently does not have or has but not done anywhere close to the level or quality of this facility.

If you want to compete in P5 football, you have to have a facility like this. Players see this when they visit all our competitors. We need to address this to compete.
Thank you sir. Very well said and agree 100%.

I hope they can find a way to connect the football complex to the indoor and outdoor practice facilities.

When they finalized it, the final rendering was released. The original renderings were fiction/concept and I don't know that they went with a cheaper option. I think they ended up with a great product. Amazing really.
My understanding is that the rendering came in at $250mm and the roof we built came in $150mm or less. That said, I don’t think the rendering was ever really in consideration, and instead was a design team’s pitch to show their value add.

Here are a few of my thoughts on the Dome reroof.
  • A much improve climate for players and fans alike
  • Opens up the dome for revenue events that the old roof would not support
  • Lighting options inside and out are certainly improved
  • Nice electronic board in the middle is a plus, so when a fan in front stands up a bit much in front of me I can still see the play. Yes, I stand up for defensive third down plays
  • Would I have liked to see seat changes with individual seats and cup holders etc.? Yes, but that is a major project that will, when done, upset more than a few season ticket holders.
  • I wish I could hear my old band better! Old trumpet players never go away, but they eventually do blow away.
  • NUMBER ONE!!! I believe the redo of the dome was done without any NYS tax dollars. I am kind of proud of that.
SU "66"

Good dialogue, so all is good. What I do (and all architects should) is both the inside and the outside. The two should not be separated. We need both. It isn't always a cost thing to create a building or space (both inside and out) that inspires. More of the money is in the materials than the "design". If we are building the thing with the glass and the metal panel, and the infrastructure to support the program (the stuff the athletes need inside) are being bought no matter the look, so it may as well look good.
A city without great architecture has no soul. As a kid I thought tearing down old buildings was awesome...so we could build shiny, new office buildings. Fortunately we saved many of our old buildings downtown. James Street is however an abomination.

We are poorer as Syracusans when we tore down buildings like the Yates Hotel. See attachment

Syracuse University has mostly awesome architecture. I want some flair designed into the modification.

Attachments

• 19706785-standard.jpg
    19706785-standard.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 159
I've read about various facility upgrades over the years. I never remember a coach or student athlete talking about the exterior. I do remember them talking about what they will actually be using on the inside of the facility.

I appreciate some of you have an eye for architecture, but you don't have to live there. SU is doing some badly needed facility upgrades. Big picture - it's a good thing! I swear some people would complain if they won $1 million dollars because they got the money in $100s instead of $10 or $20.
No bricks needed?

Here are a few of my thoughts on the Dome reroof.
  • A much improve climate for players and fans alike
  • Opens up the dome for revenue events that the old roof would not support
  • Lighting options inside and out are certainly improved
  • Nice electronic board in the middle is a plus, so when a fan in front stands up a bit much in front of me I can still see the play. Yes, I stand up for defensive third down plays
  • Would I have liked to see seat changes with individual seats and cup holders etc.? Yes, but that is a major project that will, when done, upset more than a few season ticket holders.
  • I wish I could hear my old band better! Old trumpet players never go away, but they eventually do blow away.
  • NUMBER ONE!!! I believe the redo of the dome was done without any NYS tax dollars. I am kind of proud of that.
SU "66"
I'm with you, Greg. Old trombone players too!

I think the building exterior looks pretty good. Could it be better ? Sure. But it def could be a whole lot worse.

This first design is modern, clean and works with current trend of more glass to allow light into the building. It won't look like a convenience store when built bc it will dwarf the size of those structures.

And once you are inside looking back out through all the glass the building will be even cooler. Lets just start building!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom