SU-Tenn | Syracusefan.com

SU-Tenn

Forza Azzurri

All American
from 1977...LOL

Sick so no early Saturday morning workout. Instead, I pulled up the SU-Tennessee game from ‘77 tourney on YouTube.

Bouie, Byrne’s, Shackleford, Kelley & Williams. Orr, Kindel and Drew off the bench. Parker with a cameo when both Bouie & Louie fouled out late in the game.

Parker was in the game about 30 seconds when he took the ball to the rack against King and got stuffed. Had it been 2017 JB instead of 1977 JB, he might have dragged Parker off the floor in the middle of the game.

Both teams changed defenses a lot. Zone, man, press...

Game was called much tighter back then. Lots of tickey-tack fouls. Also called a bunch of charges that would have been blocks today (IMHO).

We were decided underdogs and both Packer and Enberg were surprised that we weren’t being blown out.

Bouie had no offensive game whatsoever but blocked a bunch of shots. He started the trend of SU 5s, with those traits, that has continued for 40+ years.

Orr made Hak, as a freshman, look like an offensive lineman. He weighed 165.

Williams was jet-quick. Kelley was the shooter.

Both Shack and Byrnes could both play. That was a good team.

Unfortunately, the video ended with about 2 mins to go in game so I missed the end of regulation and OT. Last play that I saw was Shack’s hoop and the harm that fouled out King. We went up 6 with possibility of 7 at the time so we must have collapsed to end up going to OT.

No score, no clock on screen. Brutal graphics.

And Juli has done wonders for JB’s wardrobe. Not sure what he was wearing but I’m not sure I would don it on Halloween.

Was anyone from the board there?

Not me as I did not exist.

Was that JBs biggest win to date?

Not me as I did not exist.

Was that JBs biggest win to date?
It was his first season so I assume so.

It was funny how they barely showed JB and they kept showing the Tenn coach.

They also knew next to nothing about JB or the team. All the talk was about Ernie and Bernie. It felt like watching a 3 vs 14 game where the announcers haven’t even seen the 14 play.

IMO, it was the second-biggest win. First, for me, was beating Louisville on the road that year.

Both Louisville and Tenn were ranked 7th when we beat them.

I did not realize that SU was ranked 10th at the time. Packer and Enberg clearly felt we had no shot to beat them early on.

I was 10 and vaguely remember the Tenn game although I could not tell you if I watched it.

Both Louisville and Tenn were ranked 7th when we beat them.

I did not realize that SU was ranked 10th at the time. Packer and Enberg clearly felt we had no shot to beat them early on.

I was 10 and vaguely remember the Tenn game although I could not tell you if I watched it.
I was a student at Syracuse at the time. JB said after the game if we played Tenn 10 times we would beat them 8 times. I was very surprised he said that. The Ville and the Tenn games were the highlights of the season for me.

I was a student at Syracuse at the time. JB said after the game if we played Tenn 10 times we would beat them 8 times. I was very surprised he said that. The Ville and the Tenn games were the highlights of the season for me.

I was a student living at skytop and watched the game on TV with some fellow students/friends. That was a fun season.

One thing I learned while watching that game. When SU basketball is on TV, best to NOT invite non serious BB fans to the party to watch a game with you. My best friend up there was not a sports fan and he talked about everything but the game during the telecast. Annoying as hell.

I was student living at skytop and watched the game on TV with some fellow students/friends. That was a fun season.

One thing I learned while watching that game. When SU basketball is on TV, best to NOT include non serious BB fans to the party to watch a game with you. My best friend up there was not a sports fan and he talked about everything but the game during the telecast. Annoying as hell.
I could have retired so young. All I had to do was sell tickets to people to watch me watch a game on tv. I try to watch games alone.

I could have retired so young. All I had to do was sell tickets to people to watch me watch a game on tv. I try to watch games alone.

Me too.

from 1977...LOL

Sick so no early Saturday morning workout. Instead, I pulled up the SU-Tennessee game from ‘77 tourney on YouTube.

Bouie, Byrne’s, Shackleford, Kelley & Williams. Orr, Kindel and Drew off the bench. Parker with a cameo when both Bouie & Louie fouled out late in the game.

Parker was in the game about 30 seconds when he took the ball to the rack against King and got stuffed. Had it been 2017 JB instead of 1977 JB, he might have dragged Parker off the floor in the middle of the game.

Game was called much tighter back then. Lots of tickey-tack fouls. Also called a bunch of charges that would have been blocks today (IMHO).

We were decided underdogs and both Packer and Enberg were surprised that we weren’t being blown out.

Bouie had no offensive game whatsoever but blocked a bunch of shots. He started the trend of SU 5s, with those traits, that has continued for 40+ years.

Unfortunately, the video ended with about 2 mins to go in game so I missed the end of regulation and OT. Last play that I saw was Shack’s hoop and the harm that fouled out King. We went up 6 with possibility of 7 at the time so we must have collapsed to end up going to OT.

And Juli has done wonders for JB’s wardrobe. Not sure what he was wearing but I’m not sure I would don it on Halloween.

I was in college and remember this game well. I also remember thinking after we got past the Vols that we were in business as our next opponent was UNC Charlotte. Cornbread Maxwell had other ideas.

I was in college and remember this game well. I also remember thinking after we got past the Vols that we were in business as our next opponent was UNC Charlotte. Cornbread Maxwell had other ideas.
I had seen UNC Charlotte in person the year before. They had destroyed the team they played in Spfd Mass. They scared me,.

I had seen UNC Charlotte in person the year before. They had destroyed the team they played in Spfd Mass. They scared me,.

Yeah but most of the nation including SU fans had little idea. This was well before the era of wall to wall college hoops on TV plus UNCC was unranked almost the entire year, only breaking into the top 20 at 18 just before the start of the tournament. They only played two ranked teams in the regular season and lost to both of them. Then they were taken to OT in their first NCAAT game against Central Michigan. It seemed like the harder work - beating Tenn - had been done. Obviously not.

Yeah but most of the nation including SU fans had little idea. This was well before the era of wall to wall college hoops on TV plus UNCC was unranked almost the entire year, only breaking into the top 20 at 18 just before the start of the tournament. They only played two ranked teams in the regular season and lost to both of them. Then they were taken to OT in their first NCAAT game against Central Michigan. It seemed like the harder work - beating Tenn - had been done. Obviously not.
I remember really hoping Central Michigan would win. I really believe it would have been different if they had. I liked our chances if we ever got to play Michigan that year.

The only one that watches games with me is Mrs. real. As big a fan as she is, she still has to tell me to keep it down sometimes because the dog is getting shell shocked.

from 1977...LOL

I remember watching that game my junior year in college. Louie and Bouie vs Ernie and Bernie. Then my brother who was stationed in Turkey calling me to see if we won.

Back then Boeheim used to say a lot more before games.
He said the Orange had to hold Bernie and Ernie to a combined total of under 50 points.
They scored 49.

Last edited:
Back then Boeheim used to say a lot more before games.
He said if the Orange had to hold Bernie and Ernie to a combined total of under 50 points.
They scored 49.
And we won in ot. I remember thinking if they scored one more point, we would have lost.

follow up- I was a Senior at JD in '77.
My dad and I went to to Lexington for the regional vs. UNCC. Some Kentucky fans spotted us at one point in our Orange gear and remarked- "Thank you for beating that Ernie and Bernie show. We hate them"

from 1977...LOL

from 1977...LOL

Larry kelly won that game...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom