SU to Host Middle Tennessee State in 2017 | Syracusefan.com

SU to Host Middle Tennessee State in 2017

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Syracuse and Middle Tennessee have agreed to play one another in football next year, the two schools announced on Thursday, July 7. The Orange will host the Blue Raiders at the Carrier Dome on Sept. 9, 2017.

The game will mark the inaugural gridiron matchup between the Orange and Blue Raiders, and the first game in the history of Syracuse football against a current member of Conference USA.

While Syracuse and Middle Tennessee may be unfamiliar football foes, the two schools have some recent hardwood history. The Orange men's basketball team defeated the Blue Raiders 75-50 in the second round of the 2016 NCAA Tournament on its way to the Final Four.

The Middle Tennessee matchup is one of three non-conference games the Orange have scheduled for next season. In addition to squaring off against the Blue Raiders, Syracuse hosts Central Michigan on Sept. 16 and visits LSU on Sept. 23. The Orange still have one non-conference date left to fill.

2017 Syracuse Football Schedule
Sept. 9 – vs. Middle Tennessee
Sept. 16 – vs. Central Michigan
Sept. 23 – at LSU

ACC home games: Boston College, Clemson, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest
ACC road games: Florida State, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina State

Wish that Miami game was in the dome... damn.

Glad we don't have to go down there. Waste of a trip recruiting wise.

The prior scheduling (or lack there of) is embarrassing. Whoever was in charge of that should be let go. I am going to have a hell of a time going to the LSU game but it was idiotic to play it in 2017. We could have our best team in years and still go 7-5 against that schedule. And on the other side we could have a decent Bowl level team and easily go 5-7.

MTSU has made bowls 2 of the past 3 years with 7-6 and 8-5 records. That being said, this is a game we better win at home in Dino's 2nd year.

The prior scheduling (or lack there of) is embarrassing. Whoever was in charge of that should be let go. I am going to have a hell of a time going to the LSU game but it was idiotic to play it in 2017. We could have our best team in years and still go 7-5 against that schedule. And on the other side we could have a decent Bowl level team and easily go 5-7.
Oh and we also have Wisconsin too coming up in a few years! Another bonehead scheduling move there.

Thankfully they got this one right and went with Middle Tenn St and not another top program

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Syracuse and Middle Tennessee have agreed to play one another in football next year, the two schools announced on Thursday, July 7. The Orange will host the Blue Raiders at the Carrier Dome on Sept. 9, 2017.

The game will mark the inaugural gridiron matchup between the Orange and Blue Raiders, and the first game in the history of Syracuse football against a current member of Conference USA.

While Syracuse and Middle Tennessee may be unfamiliar football foes, the two schools have some recent hardwood history. The Orange men's basketball team defeated the Blue Raiders 75-50 in the second round of the 2016 NCAA Tournament on its way to the Final Four.

The Middle Tennessee matchup is one of three non-conference games the Orange have scheduled for next season. In addition to squaring off against the Blue Raiders, Syracuse hosts Central Michigan on Sept. 16 and visits LSU on Sept. 23. The Orange still have one non-conference date left to fill.

2017 Syracuse Football Schedule
Sept. 9 – vs. Middle Tennessee
Sept. 16 – vs. Central Michigan
Sept. 23 – at LSU

ACC home games: Boston College, Clemson, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest
ACC road games: Florida State, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina State
Dang that road schedule is rough.

I forgot MTSU will be gunning for revenge after the basketball game last year. Uh oh :)

Why? Do you anticipate SU being GRob-bad or HCSS-bad in a few years? I don't.
Not that bad, but not on Wisconsin's level by any means. And with FSU and Clemson not getting bad overnight already on our schedule it makes little sense to schedule another big-time football power like Wisconsin (and yes they are a national big time power, that isn't up for debate. For the last 12 years they have been between 8-11 wins per season.)

Stern said:
Not that bad, but not on Wisconsin's level by any means. And with FSU and Clemson not getting bad overnight already on our schedule it makes little sense to schedule another big-time football power like Wisconsin (and yes they are a national big time power, that isn't up for debate. For the last 12 years they have been between 8-11 wins per season.)

You're going to be one of those guys who can't find a seat on the bandwagon.

I predict Wisconsin wishing we weren't on their schedule (not because we'll be for sure better than them, but because they thought we'd be an easy P5 out).

This sets up Sept. 2-3 for the annual FCS opponent. I expect that announcement shortly.

This is a one off game series correct?

Everything I can find indicates it is a one-off. At least that's how they list it on fbschedules.com

Or we'll watch SU upset LSU in Baton Rouge and then be able to talk about it for decades. Because that's what I'm expecting.

As always, I don't get the desire to water down the schedule. From a fan's perspective, college football is all about great experiences in games against teams that matter.

OttoMets said:
Or we'll watch SU upset LSU in Baton Rouge and then be able to talk about it for decades. Because that's what I'm expecting. As always, I don't get the desire to water down the schedule. From a fan's perspective, college football is all about great experiences in games against teams that matter.

I'm for balance, with slight modifications if you end up better than you thought or worse off. It's a fine line between scheduling so far out that you have no idea and getting stuck with an opponent because you waited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom