SU walkon..Dominick Parker, 18, was accused of having sexual contact | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU walkon..Dominick Parker, 18, was accused of having sexual contact

Not any more of a defense than "I was loaded when I robbed that convenience store". Anyway, this kid probably has no record. There is going to be a price, but my first question is ... is he under 19?
I understand. But what if two 18 year olds were equally inebriated and both wanted to continue in their inebriated state? My caveat is my belief that "campus rape" is a huge issue and I have no idea about the specifics of this case.

I understand. But what if two 18 year olds were equally inebriated and both wanted to continue in their inebriated state? My caveat is my belief that "campus rape" is a huge issue and I have no idea about the specifics of this case.
Well, from a civil liability standpoint (Title IX), new consent rules have been adopted all over the country to protect both Universities and (mostly) female victims of sexual assault. Under these policies, saying nothing isn't "yes" anymore. And that includes saying nothing because you're incapable of talking.

As far as criminal proceedings go, intoxication is rarely helpful. It's not "consent" by the victim. And it's not going to get the perpetrator off the hook.

Last edited:
Well, there are new consent rules in place. Saying nothing isn't "yes" anymore. And that includes saying nothing because you're incapable of talking. As far as the aggressor goes, intoxication is rarely a defense in any criminal proceeding.
Well if someone is incapable of talking that's something different. In a mutually inebriated state, what's to presume who is the aggressor? We can think it is probably the guy - but not necessarily so. I don't like raising these type of questions given the enormity of the problem but they are fair questions. I'd tell my son when he was at college - nothing good ever happens by getting really drunk.

Well if someone is incapable of talking that's something different. In a mutually inebriated state, what's to presume who is the aggressor? We can think it is probably the guy - but not necessarily so. I don't like raising these type of questions given the enormity of the problem but they are fair questions. I'd tell my son when he was at college - nothing good ever happens by getting really drunk.
Good advice. Your hypothetical creates factual and legal questions that would have to be determined in Court. It's up to a J/J what someone's intent was, or whether consent was given.

Better to avoid trouble and wait for an affirmative "yes".

I wish they never published these types of charges until they were found guilty.

If he's guilty I hope he's in jail forever, but if he's not this is going to hang over his head for the rest of his life.

I def agree. But there are also different variances of guilt - as awful as it is. There may be scenarios where he is found guilty and i dont want him in jail for life...

How drunk was she? How drunk was he? What was the contact? did she fall asleep before anything happened or in the middle?

Nicole simpson and her friend supposedly did those brentwood blowj*bs or whatever they called those things where they surprised unsuspecting sleeping men... Never heard those refered to as rape, and at least in part, are very similar.

As far as criminal proceedings go, intoxication is rarely helpful. It's not "consent" by the victim. And it's not going to get the perpetrator off the hook.

But what if she consented? My guess is that is the overwhelming majority of at least the defense in an inebriated case, right? She says i was blacked out drunk, he says she consented - what happens?

Good advice. Your hypothetical creates factual and legal questions that would have to be determined in Court. It's up to a J/J what someone's intent was, or whether consent was given.

Better to avoid trouble and wait for an affirmative "yes".

But, the ultra liberal end of this would say that she was too drunk to say yes and mean it and, regardless of the state the guy was in he should have known better.
I know nothing about this case, but in my experiences, sometimes these are cases of buyer's remorse or trying to get even or hurt someone. Sometimes they are horrific events for the victim.
Like all of these types of things, (orders of protection being another), they are often used against innocent people. That sullies it for people who are truly victims.
Also, cops tend to over charge in these he said she said cases.
Again, general observations with no knowledge of this case.

Last edited:

Pretty much.

I think you have better odds at winning at the blackjack tables than something dumb not happening when you get really drunk.

I know this young man. Been an exceptional person his whole life. Alcohol and youth and judgment. It is just hard to believe. We don't know the story but it is already tragic.

I know nothing about this kid. Never heard of him until today.

But honestly, looking at that mug shot - I see scared, remorse and worry. I could be wrong. I hope he's able to rebound from this. That is the soft side of me.

I also certainly hope the victim is OK.

But what if she consented? My guess is that is the overwhelming majority of at least the defense in an inebriated case, right? She says i was blacked out drunk, he says she consented - what happens?
Question of fact, as to what actually happened. A criminal case usually won't be brought unless several witnesses say the victim was highly intoxicated and couldn't have consented. From there, it's up to the defense to show consent was given. But if a girl is very very drunk, consent is not going to be that easy to establish in the current environment.

Last edited:
But, the ultra liberal end of this would say that she was too drunk to say yes and mean it and, regardless of the state the guy was in he should have known better.
I know nothing about this case, but in my experiences, sometimes these are cases of buyer's remorse or trying to get even or hurt someone. Sometimes they are horrific events for the victim.
Like all of these types of things, (orders of protection being another), they are often used against innocent people. That sullies it for people who are truly victims.
Also, cops tend to over charge in these he said she said cases.
Again, general observations with no knowledge of this case.
Well, you may be right in some cases, Capt. The system's not perfect. But where we disagree is the level of importance of overcharging relative to the bigger picture. Sexual assault is a big problem. It's epidemic, and it's been especially aggravated at traditional bastions of macho behavior (the military, frats, etc) for decades. It's more understandable in the military because of the training and the whipped up testosterone. The military has started to take it much more seriously and is (somewhat) getting a better handle on it. But in civil society, there are still many perverse social influences fueling the problem ... calling women "bitches" (objectifying them) and gloating over sexual conquests (the mark of someone who's insecure). I worry about this far more than the few innocents who may be overcharged ... they're usually given a significant reduction or even an ACD. The SU kid is very likely a YO.

Last edited:
I do not know this kid but I can say that the players were posting videos on Snapchat of him prior to this and he seemed like a nice and charismatic young man...it is amazing how quickly someone's life can change for the better or worse based off of 1 decision you make. Sad deal all the way around.

sucks, but ... that's on him (if the allegations are established as true). I'm reserving my sympathy for the victim.

Alleged victim. The young man is innocent until proven guilty. Many people have been falsely accused of crimes they didn't commit. Guessing alcohol was involved so we shall see

Alleged victim. The young man is innocent until proven guilty. Many people have been falsely accused of crimes they didn't commit. Guessing alcohol was involved so we shall see

Re-read my post. You'll see this phrase:

(if the allegations are established as true)

Re-read my post. You'll see this phrase:

(if the allegations are established as true)
I did. The part that bothered me was "I'm reserving my sympathy for the victim." I read that as you presuming he is guilty. If that was not the intention then apologies. Too many instances of people being accused of crimes they didn't commit.

I did. The part that bothered me was "I'm reserving my sympathy for the victim." I read that as you presuming he is guilty. If that was not the intention then apologies. Too many instances of people being accused of crimes they didn't commit.
Ok, no worries. Yah, I was intentionally saying that I'm holding back my opinion (and my sympathies) while it's sorted out. But IF it's true, I would feel bad, first, for the victim. That remains to be seen. So I agree with you, and I'll never criticize anyone for supporting the presumption of innocence.

I'm a pretty good drunk, I've had some pretty good things happen.

Lol. I think this is what we all tell ourselves. Even in memory it was always better than it probably was.

I know nothing about this kid. Never heard of him until today.

But honestly, looking at that mug shot - I see scared, remorse and worry. I could be wrong. I hope he's able to rebound from this. That is the soft side of me.

I also certainly hope the victim is OK.

Unless the girl comes out and claims this was a complete fabrication, I imagine that this kid is done at SU.... no matter what happens in the court of law.

Unless the girl comes out and claims this was a complete fabrication, I imagine that this kid is done at SU... no matter what happens in the court of law.
My guess also.

ALOT of people wake up in bed with people and don't really remember the details... It's just reality unfortunately (I've been there).

just dont have s e x with anyone ever. problem solved
It's easily more just don't have sex with any inebriated chick in college. Might be tough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom