Substitutions while we are rolling | Syracusefan.com

Substitutions while we are rolling

Cstate

Scout Team
Question for everyone? I am in no way saying we would have won the game, but when our starters are dominating the game why do we still follow our “typical” or “predetermined” substitutions? I understand with Cole picking up multiple fouls, but when Girard was subbed out he was 3-3 from the field and already with 3 assists and we were up 20-5. Next thing you know they score 8 straight points. I remember last year we all screamed to get subs in because we were usually down 10 points early. I feel we should let the starters run up the score as best they can. Maybe I’m wrong, but…….

Question for everyone? I am in no way saying we would have won the game, but when our starters are dominating the game why do we still follow our “typical” or “predetermined” substitutions? I understand with Cole picking up multiple fouls, but when Girard was subbed out he was 3-3 from the field and already with 3 assists and we were up 20-5. Next thing you know they score 8 straight points. I remember last year we all screamed to get subs in because we were usually down 10 points early. I feel we should let the starters run up the score as best they can. Maybe I’m wrong, but…….
I don’t think you’re wrong.

Because then the fans would be screaming about not developing the bench when we have big leads against cupcakes

I actually thought the same thing at that time. Keep the petal to the metal.

yeah it happened in the second half. jg3 started bombing away and made 3 or 4 buckets it seemed...then was benched for symir...i guess defense or pre-determined ideas or something. actually i think it was JB thinking its Buddy time...but buddy didnt deliver so it backfired. i really think if jg3 plays the whole second half he puts up 30+ and the game mightve been different...but his defense wasnt great though...idk,

yeah it happened in the second half. jg3 started bombing away and made 3 or 4 buckets it seemed...then was benched for symir...i guess defense or pre-determined ideas or something. actually i think it was JB thinking its Buddy time...but buddy didnt deliver so it backfired. i really think if jg3 plays the whole second half he puts up 30+ and the game mightve been different...but his defense wasnt great though...idk,

When Joe came out in the 2nd half I think it was Benny that came in too because we went to the press.

For me, it's too early to tell. Nobody on this team understands that defense is an entirely different game yet. I think Jessie with Frank/Cole may be the closest to getting it. Benny could change overnight.

Why don't you call his radio show and ask him? Although you might want to phrase it different. There is a legit question there that I am sure young coaches and followers of an experienced coach like JAB would want to hear his answer.

For me, it's too early to tell. Nobody on this team understands that defense is an entirely different game yet. I think Jessie with Frank/Cole may be the closest to getting it. Benny could change overnight.
Frank and Cole got killed underneath the boards last night. They need a lot of work along with Jesse. If they can't get better at rebounding we will be in trouble all season. Maybe last night was just a bad one for Cole.
Yes, Jesse had 8 reb. but he should have had another 4 or 5 easily against a smaller team. He gets taken out of position too easily.

So hilarious that now we sub TOO much! Lol and it gets better: the problem is centered on mistakenly taking JG3 out of the game!!

In the 3rd game of the season with a big lead early against a team you have never even come close to losing to, looking at going to Atlantis to play against top teams, yes you want to get the new guys significant PT and get them integrated.

1st half I think the sub pattern was "we will be fine" so let's stick to our plan. 2nd half was (in my opinion) "we gotta find some lineup that can get some stops" and we are limited who subs for reasons that we all know.

1st half I think the sub pattern was "we will be fine" so let's stick to our plan. 2nd half was (in my opinion) "we gotta find some lineup that can get some stops" and we are limited who subs for reasons that we all know.
A guy who was banging in some threes over and over before being taken out for a guy who is dreadful on the offensive end is just trading who is getting the stops. Big advantage to Colgate there.

Frank and Cole got killed underneath the boards last night. They need a lot of work along with Jesse. If they can't get better at rebounding we will be in trouble all season. Maybe last night was just a bad one for Cole.
Yes, Jesse had 8 reb. but he should have had another 4 or 5 easily against a smaller team. He gets taken out of position too easily.
We don’t rebound well because playing the zone D lends itself to a softness and aversion to physical contact that results in an aversion to boxing out.

Yeah .. I’m not an idiot .. I realize in a zone you don’t have individual block out responsibility…. But you’re still supposed to find the nearest body and put your behind between them and the rim ..

The fact that no matter who we have in there … the last 10 years or so .. the results are the same … Makes me think it’s actually a side effect of employing such a non-physical D

I agree we did a miserable job rebounding, in fact at times it was a comedy of errors including knocking the ball from a teammates hands and not scrambling to grab balls on the floor. The one thing I see a bit differently after watching the game is Colgate is not a "smaller team". They had two players in the middle that were exactly the type of player that will kill us all year long. 6 ft 10 in and 6 ft 11 in players both in the 250 to 270 lbs range. On top of that they could both catch and pass the ball. Easy to hang this on Jesse and Frank but Woodward and Records were the perfect storm to destroy our still developing 2/3 zone. Coaching needed a better plan.

JB uses the early games to experiment and give everybody a certain amount of playing time so he can see what he's got. While he respected Colgate, he thought he could do that and still win the game. Wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom