Such mixed feelings... | Syracusefan.com

Such mixed feelings...

Jake

Mod
The move to give ACC is purely about survival and preservation. I don't think there is a single fan among us that would prefer I viable and richly competitive big east to the ACC. This is not a slam to the ACC... It's just that the Big East has been not good, but GREAT for our competitive sports programs for the overwhelming majority of its existence.

For those of you too young to remember the 80s and 90s.,,there aren't words to describe our ascension from the ECAC to the big east.

It's been a great conference, including ALL of our best sports memories sans 1959.

I will visit its grave with find memories.

RIP.

The move to give ACC is purely about survival and preservation. I don't think there is a single fan among us that would prefer I viable and richly competitive big east to the ACC. This is not a slam to the ACC... It's just that the Big East has been not good, but GREAT for our competitive sports programs for the overwhelming majority of its existence.

For those of you too young to remember the 80s and 90s.,,there aren't words to describe our ascension from the ECAC to the big east.

It's been a great conference, including ALL of our best sports memories sans 1959.

RIP.

I would think that the run to the 1975 FF is an exception to your rule.

Bittersweet is how I feel. I loved the cuse before the BEAST and try not to take for granted the truely astonishing rise that we have experienced since the ECAC days. We are spoiled (particularly in hoops) and a little bit of me is scared of what will happen in the ACC but I take comfort in knowing that whatever happens I will continue to support my team and fellow cuse fans. We truly have something special and think that most of us--at least the older ones--appreciate how far we have come and look forward to great things in the ACC. Such is life.

RIP.
Grew up in a Big East family. Dad went to Nova. Then BC for law school. Bro went to GTown. Sis went to Providence. Mom went to Notre Dame. I went to Cuse. Oh, and we lived in CT. To say that it's in my blood might be an understatement.

I can't even put into words how little I'll miss it. Because there is no word in the English language that means less than nothing. At the end of the day, I just want to see Cuse succeed. We will succeed in the ACC. I could give half a $h1t about the g0d d@mned Big East and it's "glorified" history. I will dance on it's grave. It was a terrible conference outside of the 80s. Buh bye. On to bigger and better things.

Grew up in a Big East family. Dad went to Nova. Then BC for law school. Bro went to GTown. Sis went to Providence. Mom went to Notre Dame. I went to Cuse. Oh, and we lived in CT. To say that it's in my blood might be an understatement.

I can't even put into words how little I'll miss it. Because there is no word in the English language that means less than nothing. At the end of the day, I just want to see Cuse succeed. We will succeed in the ACC. I could give half a $h1t about the g0d d@mned Big East and it's "glorified" history. I will dance on it's grave. It was a terrible conference outside of the 80s. Buh bye. On to bigger and better things.
If I could like your post 100 times, it'd be done.

Remember when Getty had those Big East glasses? Must've had about 30 of 'em.

Decades later, I'm down to about 7 due to breakage.

That number will only go down from here. Sad indeed.

Football wasn't sustainable. The highs though were awfully high.

Will never forget draining about 38 beers with you at Georgetown a couple of years back, and telling those to pound salt after that game.

I'm strangely not feeling all that nostalgic. I think I did at one point, but those days seem long gone to me. If we had consistently played the hoops rivals twice per year, I might feel it a little more. But that, along with almost anything that I cared about with Big East Football, are so far in the past, I had moved on long ago.

Tomorrow is going to be a great day.

In the end it was about money. You win or you die when you play the game of thrones. ....ahh......conferences. had awesome memories of the BE battles. The Georgetown Ewing smashed orange into the glass game and the football classic with Gedney stopped at the three come to mind

Being more of a football fan, growing up in the midwest, and getting an undergrad degree from a B1G school, I am ecstatic about Syracuse moving to the ACC. Even after spending three years at SU before the initial defection of BE schools to the ACC, I just never could get excited about the conference.

Ye Olde Big East, May she rest in Peace.

To the new Big East I offer the words of the great philosopher Opus T. Penguin: "THHHHPPPPTTTTTTTT".

Not me. I've always believed the ACC made the most sense.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'm with ya. The hodge podge of bball only schools mixed w/the big boy football schools never felt quite right to me. There were certainly great moments in the Big East, in both sports.

But we're now in a league where all members play football, all of our associate members are big time schools with college atmospheres. There are no more Seton Halls, or Providences, or Depauls leeching on to the brand name schools. This feels sooo right. I'm a "good riddance to the Big East" guy. Miss a lot of the memories, but we have much more to look forward to.

I had a good time at all previous Big East games, bball and football, that I attended but now that we are in the ACC I will be able to travel and see even more games. The only game I'll miss is the Georgetown basketball game because I used to go to it every single year growing up (I went this year unfortunately but I was at the sweet sixteen and elite eight games so that made up for it). Otherwise, the rest of the games I won't miss and I won't miss leaving those schools/programs in the past.

On to greener pastures. It's been real Big East, but we are going to the conference that we should have been in 10 years ago. PEACE!

Big East was GREAT for hoops and a few minor sports, football has really declined over the past 7 - 10 years and simply was not sustainable. No way L'ville, Pitt and Cuse could survive football in Big East. Playing in front of 25, 000 - 30,000 people (outside of L'ville) was going nowhere for football. Adding Temple et al was going to kill the conference overall. Wish hoops carried more weight but reality is it does not. And I do go way back, including final four in 1975.

The Big East, as a basketball conference, was very good for us but we were equally good for the Big East. The limelight it shone on all in the league was tremendous, but only we were able to sustain consistency throughout its initial 30+ year history.

Football, however, is another story, as we all know. Which is why in less than 2 hours we will officially be in the ACC.

Cheers,
Neil

Hold on, to me as we go
As we roll down this unfamiliar road
And although this wave is stringing us along
Just know you're not alone
The ACC is our new home

*Apologies to Phillip Phillips.

031113_Big-East-RIP_600.jpg

Football wasn't sustainable. The highs though were awfully high.

Will never forget draining about 38 beers with you at Georgetown a couple of years back, and telling those to pound salt after that game.

Once 2003 happened, the Big East was all over.

I don't agree.

I wanted the ACC back in 2003.

I'm a football guy and knew that the ACC would serve us better.

The BE had some great moments but I am very happy today.

This^^^^

Our ceiling in football has just been raised significantly. Will we raise our play remains to be seen but I think we will.

this is why we are a FOOTBALL SCHOOL.....;):mad::p:D:mad::cool:
:eek:

:rolling:

:blah:

the big east died my Sr year in college when miami 'won' the big east football title with a 2-0 record.

we've been treading water for 20+ years.

and FINALLY, we hit land.

yeeee-ha!!!

Any fan/supporter of SU sports should be grateful for what the Big East did for Orange athletics.

That said, no mixed feelings whatsoever from this guy. I'm so happy to look forward that I haven't even thought of looking back.